Superstitions

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Superstitions

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:02 am

Did y'all notice. It's Friday. The 13th.

And I almost tripped over the tuxedo cat this morning. He's half-black, right? That'd account for it being an almost falldowngoboom.

I've acquired a few personal superstitions over the years.

I have to hold keys to go through a door.
    I have to have a knitting project at work.
    Draped around my work computer are: a chicken stuffie, a kitten stuffie, two toy lizards, a magic wand, a little yellowhandled screwdriver, a small rosary made of Jerusalem olivewood, and a chickenfoot fetish.
    I refuse to drive a red car.

Anyone else have oddball superstitions?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:15 am

The only superstition I still hold is to clean out every purchased container of every drop of product, or I will be in want in the future. All others have been purged over the last years as I have removed magical thinking from my thought processes.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Re: Superstitions

Postby navneeth » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:01 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I have to hold keys to go through a door.

Even locked ones? :shock: :roll: :P
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Re: Superstitions

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:09 pm

navneeth wrote:
Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I have to hold keys to go through a door.

Even locked ones? :shock: :roll: :P

Especially locked ones. :grin:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:55 pm

In 1974, after we got married I had a gunsmith work on my pistol. When the MRHYN and I went to collect it he gave me the stock trigger that had been replaced by a custom one. She promptly put it in her purse. It's still there and I can't recall the last time she switched purse without the trigger being switched as well.

I guess that counts as a superstition.

As for me, I carry an expended 7.62 round that ricocheted off a wall in Mogadishu, Somalia and fell at my feet; it was too hot to touch the first time I picked it up. Depending on my state of sobriety when I tell the story the bullet hit;

a) Two inches from my head, or

b) In the space I had just moved from, or (if really plastered)

c) Ricocheted off my helmet.

In truth, it hit about 3-5 feet above my head.

I also carry a P38 can opener on my keychain. It belonged to my father during WWII. I didn't realize how attached I was to it until a TSA goon tried to confiscate it when I went through security. I refused and miss that flight while I scared up an envelope to mail it to me.

Finally, after reading the crash survivability report of my son's new pickup truck combined with his (lack of) driving skills, I've come to the conclusion that wearing a seatbelt in the truck is more of a good luck talisman to safety than any expectation of real restraint and safety.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Return to Culture Connections