Good News - Bad News day

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:15 am

100% pure mutt. Probably a lab Sheppard mix with some Rhodesian Ridgeback (Shouldn't that be Zimbabwe Ridgeback?)

He was four in Feb and has been a good buddy for me. He goes almost everywhere with me on the job. He loves chasing things and will fetch anything that he can carry. His depth perception is phenomenal and he'll catch a ball no matter how high it is thrown.

My last favorite dog was a Australian Sheppard/Border Collier mix named Shandy. She was 15 when my wife had to have her put down on Christmas Eve when I was away in Ohio.

I didn’t want to get another collie mix since that would have been unfair to the new dog, comparing him/her to Shandy so I went to the pound and fell in love with Haggis.

He hates rain but will dive into any body of water to chase a ball. His favorite ball at the moment is a blue squeaky ball called the “slobber ball” because it is and that’s the name of the game we play; well he plays, I’m just the thing that tosses it.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:46 pm

So, BigJon, is the deed done?

It's very hard to take the steps to end a pet's life, even though you know they have nothing to look forward to but misery. Bar and I have been the guests of nine cats over our time together. We now have two, and only two of those we no longer have are we unaware of the nature of their end. That doesn't make it any easier, having gone through it before.

While there will never be another dog like the one you're losing, I have found that another pet can bring you as much joy and companionship as the last one. It won't be the same, but it can be just as good, and perhaps far better.

But give the new pet a different name.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:59 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:Bigjon@wk,

I know the pain and share your grief. I've had dogs all my life, knowing that I was (hopefully) going out live them and it still hurts when you lose them.

Here's my dog Haggis doing what he loves most in the whole wide world, slobbering on the side of my SUV

I LOVE those goggles...!!!!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:16 am

Senna is still with us. My friend, the vet, doesn't get back from vacation until next week, so sometime then. I liked the way the setting sun looked over Regan's funeral, so we will probably do is at the same time of day.

We are trying to be as normal with him as we can be, but of course we are slipping him little “love notes” as the time draws near. Last night I let him clean out the remains of a container of ground beef. Something we would’ve never allowed otherwise.

Haggis is a great looking dog. I think “in-between” snouts look noble on a dog. Thick, but not to stubby or long. Think Great Dane snouts.

To make my heartbreak a little more complete, a favorite uncle of mine died over the weekend. His funeral was last night and his burial today. He was suffering, so this was a release, but still . . .
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:55 am

I've had a dog for about 20 years. He is just as spry as the day that I got him. Not sure if blogger allows deep linking of photos, so doing this picture as a link.
Tim's dog.

When I got married my wife came with a dog. He was a good English Cocker Spaniel (former show dog). But he was going nuts and snapped at our little boy. We had him put down. I enjoy pets, but this is one more reason I don't have any.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:19 am

treebeau wrote:I've had a dog for about 20 years. He is just as spry as the day that I got him.

Tim, are you saying that the dog is 20 years old? That would seem to be a record of sorts.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:30 pm

Jamie, check the picture. :rofl:

I'm sure it has never messed the carpet.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:35 pm

Oh fer Gawd's sake....OK...now that is my kind of pet...Not very demanding :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:32 pm

If you Google "world's oldest dog" you get several sites that report that Guinness' records show 29 to be the oldest recorded age.

I was in England in 2004 and met a man who was walking his border collie and he claimed the dog was 21 years old. He was obviously old and walked rather stiff legged but seemed to be in good health.

In 1991 when I lived in Apple Valley CA, the local dog pound had an 18-year-old dachshund that they took to the old folks homes for visit. She was almost pure white.

Our current dachshund, Pooka, is pushing 14. She's got a white muzzle and her paws are turning white. She's deaf as a post and lost all of her front teeth, top and bottom. She still chases Haggis around if he steps on her or get too close to her food. She’s really very sprightly and can still jump up on the couch 6 out of 10 times. She moves pretty quickly at feeding time and her eyes are still sharp enough to spot a single piece of dried dog food if I drop it on the ground when scooping it out. We’ve nicknamed her the “carpet shark” cause she’ll lay of the floor when we’re eating in front of the TV and if one of us drops a bit of food she’s all over it before I can reach down to pick it up. She’s also very fond of goldfish (the crackers not the real thing, although I wouldn’t be surprised that she’d eat them as well)

We've had three dachsies and all of them were chowhounds. I’ve come to the conclusion that given the opportunity a dachshund would gladly eat its self to death.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:28 pm

There seems a special kinship with a good dog.

Dad always said "Life begins when the last kid is through college and the dog dies." But he was devastated when his shepherd mix "Rocky" died at about age twelve.

Fair Anne and I really miss old "Whiskers", a Lab/Scottie mix who raised our three kids. He got overrun by cancer of some sort, his bowels stopped working and he was in obvious pain. His last few days we fed him prime rib and hydrocodin. He was happy. I held him for the final injection and stroked his head. He was at ease. It took only a few seconds, he just dropped his head on his paws as if suddenly falling asleep, did not move after that. Remembering it still feels strange even though the conscious mind knows it was the kind thing to do. When we eat in a restaurant we still have the urge to bring him treats, and I often reach into the back seat to pat his head.

As to dog longevity I'll always think the modern insecticides we use for flea control are hard on them. Grandma's little white mutt "Rover" got homemade cornbread with table scraps baked in and lived to twenty-three, back in the days of DDT.

Good luck B'Jon, I know you gave him a good life. a.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:46 am

BigJon@Work wrote:Senna is still with us. My friend, the vet, doesn't get back from vacation until next week, so sometime then. I liked the way the setting sun looked over Regan's funeral, so we will probably do is at the same time of day.

We are trying to be as normal with him as we can be, but of course we are slipping him little “love notes” as the time draws near. Last night I let him clean out the remains of a container of ground beef. Something we would’ve never allowed otherwise.

Haggis is a great looking dog. I think “in-between” snouts look noble on a dog. Thick, but not to stubby or long. Think Great Dane snouts.

To make my heartbreak a little more complete, a favorite uncle of mine died over the weekend. His funeral was last night and his burial today. He was suffering, so this was a release, but still . . .

BigJon,
My condolences to you and your family....

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:53 am

When I got married, 2 cats came along with the package.

One lived until 21 the other was 18.

The 21 year old had to be put down.... We were at the vet and my
wife held her in her arms.... She could not hold any bodily functions anymore, was frail, very weak, and started not to eat.... no quality of
life... there was no other way... :(

The 18 year old died in the house... She had become very crotchity
in her old age as well as frail... She hopped down off the couch, took a
few steps and then colapsed before my eyes... :(

We believe she had a stroke. My wife sat up with her all night with
a stethescope listening and praying for a miracle. It broke my
heart to take the stethescope, listen and hear nothing.... :(

We both love animals so much but can no longer take that
pain.... When our beloved dog passes.. that is it. I actually dread
that day and tears come to my eyes just thinking about not having
that warm loving face greet me at the door when I come home.

She now sleeps at my side of the bed and has become very attached to me (as I to her)

We both plan to continue supporting the no kill shelters
sponsoring unwanted animals until they have a new home...

My prayers are with you and your family BigJon....

TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:41 pm

BigJon,
Im sorry about your uncle. :(
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:48 am

Well . . . tonight's the night. I really don't feel like being at work, but I must.

I was crying into my breakfast bowl this morning just looking at him laying there waiting for me to finish, like he normally does. So he struggles to his feet and comes over and lays his head in my lap. Despite his prickly personality, he seems to know when we are feeling bad and would always stick right by whomever was feeling ill or sad. One time when my wife was violently ill with a stomach bug, he climbed up on the bed and laid right next to her back and refused to budge.

We are treating him as if this is just another day . . .
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:55 am

BigJon@Work wrote:Well . . . tonight's the night. I really don't feel like being at work, but I must.

I was crying into my breakfast bowl this morning just looking at him laying there waiting for me to finish, like he normally does. So he struggles to his feet and comes over and lays his head in my lap. Despite his prickly personality, he seems to know when we are feeling bad and would always stick right by whomever was feeling ill or sad. One time when my wife was violently ill with a stomach bug, he climbed up on the bed and laid right next to her back and refused to budge.

We are treating him as if this is just another day . . .

My prayers are with you and your family...

TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby barfle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:21 am

It's a lousy thing, but I'm pretty sure you are doing what's best for him.

I remember a cat whose health was deteriorating very slowly, and since one day wasn't all that much worse than the day before, it really was a tough decision the day I made it. Sometimes I think I waited too long.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:02 am

barfle wrote:Sometimes I think I waited too long.

That's what is driving our decision. He sometimes snaps in pain when he is touched in the hindquarters. With his strong jaws we can't risk that he might hurt KitCat as it progresses.

He couldn't get up the step at all last night.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:16 am

I had to make the decision for my cat when she couldnt get into her litter box any more. She had too much pride not to use it, and she lay there resting in between tries. I'd already rearranged the house for her, and gotten a very low lip box. It was ok when I was home, because I could lift her in and out, but it was hell watching her. It was also hell putting her down. Making an appointment with an in-home person seems a good thing. Almost as kind as those guys who take the dog for one last hunting trip in the woods and fields, and the dog doesnt know its the target. You'd have to be a damn good shot to go that route, tho.

Tough days, Jon. They last for a while, because the habits do. I used to put my foot out to block my cat when I came home. I kept doing that for ~ 6 months after.

editted to dis-H
Last edited by piqaboo on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:21 am

I'll miss him greeting me at the door. He was usally the first because he could hear my car coming up the street.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:34 am

Never had a dog growing up...
Always wanted one!

We adopted our blessing 8 1/2 years ago

She is 10 1/2 now and very attached to me... as I to her.....

My biggest fear is eventually going through what you
have to do.....

Again, my prayers for comfort are with you and your family....

TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections