Headphones

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Headphones

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:29 pm

My cubemate has loaned me her pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphonesand they are wonderful. I've been thinking of getting a set for work, and I was wondering what brands styles you recommend. The Bose are over $200, and I'm not sure I want to spend that much.

I hate Bose loudspeakers, but these rock!

Of course there was this threadfrom audiogirl that gives me pause.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:03 pm

I've heard good things about the Bose cancellers from folks who fly a lot.
Me, I like hearing what's going on around me, most of the time. How else could I stay current in the latest gossip?
But this is the talkiest department I've ever worked in, and I'm thinking of trying music in headphones to counteract. Certain voices here draw my attention too strongly.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:20 pm

With my new job, I will be in a very quiet corner of the building, but this area is very talky, laughy and whatever other kinds of noises they can come up with.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:51 pm

BJ,
Google "noise reduction headphones" there are several for sell less that a $100. I think CNET has a review of the better ones. I have the Bose from when I was doing so much international travel and they are marvelous. The only problem is they are bulky (the newer one are smaller I hear) I bought a small Senneheiser set for under $50 and I liked them but I left them on a plane so I'm back to the bulky Bose.....At least it too big to forget
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:05 pm

I had a pair of noisebusters for about ten years, then the foam fell apart and they don't make that type any more. They were great for places with ambient noise, but didn't cancel voices very much. I am interested in replacing my old noisebusters for things like mowing the lawn and waiting for the bus.

One thing I noticed was that they didn't cancel out voices much. It seemed like the sound had to be more regular than that. Which makes sense, but undoubtedly the technology has changed.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:12 am

I have SONY Noise Cancelling headphones that I wear here in my office.
This does not cancel out ALL the noise.... I hear people speaking in other
cubes even when the sound is up at 60% volume....

Be careful as you get what you pay for and even though it says
"Noise Cancelling" it may only reduce the noise, not eliminate it.

It is a very noisy environment where I work and they don't work as well as I would like. I have to ELIMINATE the noise......

I think I may check out the BOSE... even though its over $200
Have to do something to quiet the environment so I can listen
to B.com without being disturbed!

:D
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:57 am

One thing I noticed in my brief time with the Bose; that my keyboard clicks came through loud and clear. Weird.

The noise I am most interested in blocking out is the AC noise. It sounds like I work in a wind tunnel.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:I have to ELIMINATE the noise......

Nothing will eliminate all the ambient noise. The only headphones you will ever find that come close will be those that completely cover the ear and seal it away from the rest of the acoustic environment.

They will make your ears sweat, but you'll be able to hear it dripping off your lobes and splashing on the bottom of the cup.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:20 am

barfle wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:I have to ELIMINATE the noise......

Nothing will eliminate all the ambient noise. The only headphones you will ever find that come close will be those that completely cover the ear and seal it away from the rest of the acoustic environment.

They will make your ears sweat, but you'll be able to hear it dripping off your lobes and splashing on the bottom of the cup.

Barfle,
Ears Sweating... That may be a better option...
Everyone here uses their Speaker Phones... Has meetings (4 people at a time) in their cubes...

It's just a noisy environment....

I asked to be moved to a different area that was more quiet.
The answer was no.

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:18 pm

I asked to be moved to a room with a door. They just laughed at me.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Return to Culture Connections