Medical Device Names?

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:33 pm

Now that I like. I guess I will just have to describe a spokeshave for now, oop Smokeshave.

You're evil. I like that!
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:27 pm

If you like it, use it. You could work it into the story.

Dr. Jones retrieved a menacing-looking tool from the locked cabinet. He handed it to me, instructing me to begin the debridement. I looked at the instrument, which looked as if it would be better suited for a woodworker than a surgeon.

"What is this thing?" I asked Dr. Jones.

"A smokeshave." He replied, with that look that made it seem as though I had overlooked the obvious.

"A what?" I asked.

"A smokeshave. He repeated, somewhat exasperatedly. You use it like a spokeshave. It's used to remove charred skin, so I call it a smokeshave." There was no humour in his voice which would have indicated that this was some kind of joke. "Get to scraping, please. We have much work to do."

Something like that. I don't pretend to be a writer. :)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:00 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:What am I making up? There was a tool indicated in the article that was used for a specific medical purpose,

and then you posted a picture of something else entirely, as if it were a picture of the thing you were looking for.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:49 pm

I understood from the post with the picture that he was posting a picture of a woodworker's spokeshave. Perhaps it's because I recognized the instrument. I can now see how someone could make the incorrect connection between the photo and the instrument in question.

I remember looking at the Medical Equipment Catalogue and seeing items that resembled tools from non-medical specialties, so it did not surprise me that something akin to spokeshave would be used. I would expect it to be smaller, since I cannot fathom an instance in which skin would need to be removed in such quantities and with such reckless imprecision as a spokeshave would produce, but then again, I'm no surgeon.

There were some pretty gruesome tools in the catalogue. I kept it, however, because of the pretty artwork. It was a large, hardcover book with page after page of excellent drawings of medical instruments.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:31 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:It's a tool to debride dead skin, layer by layer. They use it in burn wards. My understanding is it works something like a wood shaver/shaper (pictured) but I've never seen one in person.
Last edited by BigJon@Work on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:31 pm

I'd love to see that catalogue.

I went to a live presentation on Civil War surgeon tools and procedures. All I can say is :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:05 pm

If you're ever in Chicago, visit the International College of Surgeons Museum. I stumbled upon it one day while walking in the area north of the loop. It was quite amazing.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:55 pm

BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:02 pm

No. I've never been to Philadelphia, but it sounds similar to the International College Of Surgeons Museum in Chicago.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby monkeymd2b » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:27 am

You know, when I did a google search for burn debridement, I saw pictures with a cheese grater looking thing being used on a leg but no name was given to the tool on any of the pictures...at any rate, it also disturbed me much like the grand rounds video I had to watch on oral lesions...I was eating my breakfast and wanted to throw up many many times. I hate skin problems - they're always so gross.
I practice the 1st 2 rules of derm at all times:
If you know what it is, you don't need to touch it
If you don't know what it is, then for god's sake DON'T TOUCH IT!
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:09 am

What's so scary about all this is that medical instrumentation has advanced so much in the last 100 years.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhh
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:57 am

monkeymd2b wrote:I practice the 1st 2 rules of derm at all times:
If you know what it is, you don't need to touch it
If you don't know what it is, then for god's sake DON'T TOUCH IT!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks anyway Monkeymd2b. My quest continues . . .
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:52 am

Dermatome.

See: http://www.umdnj.edu/hsweb/Glossary/d.html

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:05 am

This from Wikipedia

Thanks, Treebeau.
Last edited by Shapley on Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby haggis » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:19 pm

Shapley wrote:Since it resembles a spokeshave but is used for burned skin, I nominate Smokeshave as a suitable moniker... :D

V/R
Shapley

Okay Shapley, you have officially pushed my "vivid imagination Ewwwwww, Gross" button down and in the locked position.

Now all we need is a discussion on "bone marrow extraction tools" to send me gibber for the scotch

(Ed. "Right, as if you EVER needed an excuse for scotch!"

Me. Well, in this case it would qualify as a medicinal necessity and as such would be appropriate before 17:00)
Haggis

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
haggis
2nd Chair

Location: warm, humid, and wonderfully sticky Dallas, Texas!!

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:21 pm

It looks like -tome is key the suffix, seeing how many items to remove flesh end in that syllable.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:18 pm

By the way, thanks, Tim, for coming up with that name. What kind of surgeon did you say you are? Trees? Hmmmm, how can I work that into my story . . .
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:11 pm

Hmmm, maybe I have a dendrotome tool somewhere (aka "debarker").
(heh heh)

Nah, just some lucky Googling came up with it.

Regards,
Tim B.

P.S. I'll beat y'all to the obvious punchline. Computer programmer by day, part time tree feller, though not a pro at it. My "bark" is, therefore, worse than my "byte."
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:19 pm

Oh Tim!

Haggis, its called a marrow fork. It goes on the table, to the left of the dinner fork. ;)
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:02 pm

haggis wrote:Now all we need is a discussion on "bone marrow extraction tools" to send me gibber for the scotch...[/i]

My mother once explained to me the various steps of a bone marrow transplant - extraction, filtration, infusion. This was back when the whole procedure was new, and she was all excited about it (also teaching it as part of her Infusion Therapies course out at the community college). I had to lay down. Talk about Ewww-Gross; nasty doesn't begin to cover it.

If any medical professional ever looks perky about any necessary procedure they're planning to do on you I recommend that you demand drugs and don't look!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Previous

Return to Culture Connections