Half-Blood Prince (No Spoilers)

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby navneeth » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:55 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:Nope...
In fact... I have not read or seen one Harry Potter book or movie...

Looks like I've got company. :D Well, sort of... I have seen the first three films, but only after they came on TV. In fact, as I type, the second instalment is being shown on TV.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:34 pm

The books are quite enjoyable. The movies are acceptable. The third one being the best, IMHO. The last two have fallen short. They are quite stunning, visually, but they attempt to compact a long story into too short a movie, and the result just doesn't work, again IMHO.

I think Ms. Rowling has done a fine job of weaving a tale. I expect that this final installment will prove to have been worth the wait.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:49 pm

treebeau wrote:Looking forward to the new book (Snape: Friend or Foe ??), but not attending any parties, nor standing in any lines at midnight. Sam's Club has historically had PLENTY of copies on display at any time. Stroll in, pick one up, stroll out (reading, of course), and get hit by car in the parking lot. Use "repairo" spell on broken body.

Regards,
Tim B.

I think that's my sister's plan, sans the accident and repairo spell. She said her Sam's Club always has pallets of Harry Potter books out for the customers. I took the easy route, and my copy of the book will be delivered to the house sometime tomorrow - I'd better get any housecleaning done early. I can tend laundry machines and still read, though.

If I assemble a large pot of soup or stew or something tonight, I won't even have to stop to cook all weekend. Now, that's a useful thought.

A nice balcony to sit on, cats to circle my feet and purr, iced tea in my glass, and a new book to read. Heaven.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:21 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Heaven.

Sure sounds like it! :mrgreen:

Can you PM me the spoiler when you get to it?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby monkeymd2b » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:35 am

Well, I went the extra dorky mile. When I realized that my flight back to hawaii was on the day of the release, I knew that I wouldn't be able to get to the bookstore before my flight so I preordered it and am having it delivered to my parents' house. Since this week is probably the only time until february when I will have uninterrupted free time, I should be able to get through the whole book in no time.

Turns out my flight is at 12:40 so perhaps I could have gone to one of those midnight things or even tried to get one at the Powell's bookstore at the airport today but that book looks huge and well, I just don't want to carry that in addition to my other junk...guess I'm not as big of a fan as others.
Simple words to live by...

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them on the head.
monkeymd2b
4th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:47 am

Enjoyed the book. Immensely. Wound up lots of threads and closed down the plot (I despise loose threads and inconclusive endings) very securely. Now I have to drag out the first six books and read the whole series in a row, to pick up the front ends of all those threads.

It was an excellent weekend, except that my carpet somehow never got vacuumed. (Fridge is well stocked though, with leftover ratatouille and spaghetti sauce w/ meatballs.)
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:05 am

Nearing page 300 (I savor every word I guess...OK, I read slowly). Very good so far.

Regards,
Tim "expecto patronum" B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:09 am

Nearing page 300

I'm only slightly ahead of you. My son and I were taking turns with the book, He sat up late at night reading, I got the book in the mornings. He finished it last night. I've brought it with me to work, so I can read more at lunch time. I should finish it tonight, unless worldly worries interfere.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:32 am

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:02 am

I pre-ordered like Selma and it was delivered about 10am on Saturday. Just before Bella wanted her morning nurse/nap so I got to get started right away. TG for Bella's nursing schedule as I could nurse and read - got through about 450 pages this weekend. Now I'm at work :cry: and won't get a chance to get back to it until Bella's ~7pm feeding. So it'll probably take the rest of the week for me to finish. Would take it to work to read during lunch, but I've been working through lunch to have shorter days (take little breaks like this to keep up with B.com) to spend more time with the kids.

Was annoyed at local morning radio show asking for spoilers and saying that 'any REAL Harry Potter fan would be done with the book by now'. :curse: Not my fault I have kids to take care of and need to get all the sleep I can... Maybe I'll get lucky and Pumpkin will want Daddy to put him to bed a lot this week and I can use my pre-bed nursing time to read, not sit with Pumpkin.... I know, I'm a terrible mother...but it's only for a couple of days - it's just going to get harder to avoid spoilers....

Just amazes me that JK can keep up the quality after all this time. Just wish we could know more about what's happening at Hogwarts and with the Order while we follow Harry around... oh, well...I'm sure they'll get to Hogwarts eventually....
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:30 am

I guess its time to pick it up either at Costco or the grocery store. I think it's Ralph's that carries it at a discount.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:31 pm

Who is this "Potter" fellow?

:poke:

"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:19 pm

No PM Selma? Pretty Please?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:13 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I despise loose threads and inconclusive endings

Which sounds like you're really upset with the final episode of The Sopranos (not to change the subject).
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:34 pm

barfle wrote:
Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I despise loose threads and inconclusive endings

Which sounds like you're really upset with the final episode of The Sopranos (not to change the subject).

That was a TV show, right? I think I've heard of it. I can maintain my calm about shows I didn't watch, even when they end badly.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:11 pm

I can maintain my calm about shows I didn't watch, even when they end badly.

Not me. I'm still ticked about the way The Prisoner ended. That's why I no longer watch serial television shows. I want a nice clean program that wraps up in the alloted time slot. You didn't have to watch Seinfeld or The Beverly Hillbillys every week to know what was happening. Even Rockford and Columbo, as inept as they were, caught the bad guy within the alloted hour. Who needs television that is more complicated than real life. It ain't worth it. ;)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:28 am

When I got home yesterday, realized I'd actually made it over 500 pages. Got to 638 last night... We'll see if I can finish it tonight or if it'll take another evening...

Just dying to talk to someone about it, but I don't dare until I'm done.... grrrr! :curse: :rant:
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:54 am

Just dying to talk to someone about it, but I don't dare until I'm done.... grrrr!

Same here. My son finished it Sunday Evening. I've been busy, so it's fit in a chapter here and a chapter there. I brought it along with me to work so I can read it at lunch (coming up in about a half-hour!).

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:58 pm

got down to about p. 700 last night, too tired to finish. But, lucky me, the guys coming to replace our furnace and install A/C came about 8:45am and husband had to take kids to daycare and drop something off at work. So I had to stay home and was unprepared to do work from home. Got a 1/2 hour done via email, then figured, what the h***, since I can't work, I might as well finish off HP - and I did!! Woo, hooo!! off to the spoilers thread! :D :D
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Re: Half-Blood Prince (No Spoilers)

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:05 pm

It seems the film based on this book had its' release date moved back several months, but the press is now reporting that it has been moved back to November. Very confusing.

The British Press isn't giving any reasons for the delay, but the U.S. press has been hinting that the delay occured to prevent the film from being released at a time when posters of a naked Daniel Radcliffe were posted all over New York. Radcliffe is starring in the Broadway play Equus, and the contoversy over his nudity in the film was causing concern to the films marketers. It looks, however, as though cooler heads may prevail and the film will be released on schedule.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections