Music PWing

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Shapley » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:35 pm

Bugs Bunny never could play it. He always missed the piano key that ignited the dynamite.

Yosemite Sam, on the other hand, could play it with a bang. :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:04 pm

Itzhak Stern - A mash-up of the names of two great violinists of the last century. Speaking of Itzhak Stern, I'm hoping to see Schindler's List for the first time sometime next week.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:46 am

Favourite instruments and ranges.

Two of my favourite instruments are the violin and the clarinet (Listening to Stamitz's concerto as I type.), and, if I'm not mistaken, Cat likes the cello and bassoon. Now, a classical music reference tells me that the instruments in each pair are from the same range. The former being the female voice (bet. alto and soprano) and the latter, bass singer - higher than tenor.

Do others' favourite instruments "match" like this? Or do you favourite instruments go all over the range? (You know, trumpets, piccolo and bagpipes. :mrgreen: )
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:44 pm

navneeth wrote:Favourite instruments and ranges.

Two of my favourite instruments are the violin and the clarinet (Listening to Stamitz's concerto as I type.), and, if I'm not mistaken, Cat likes the cello and bassoon. Now, a classical music reference tells me that the instruments in each pair are from the same range. The former being the female voice (bet. alto and soprano) and the latter, bass singer - higher than tenor.

Do others' favourite instruments "match" like this? Or do you favourite instruments go all over the range? (You know, trumpets, piccolo and bagpipes. :mrgreen: )

Great question Nav. I would have thought the oboe more match the range of the violin, while the clarinet would match the range of the viola.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:41 pm

My favourites, right now, are the Pipe Organ and the Bassoon. The Pipe Organ, having held that position for several decades now has achieved permanent favourite status. The Bassoon, on the other hand, is subject to change.

I seem to maintain two favourites positions. One is a permanent job, the other is filled by temps. Sort of like an ego and a superego, I suppose. A variety of instruments have held the temp position - violin, harpsichord, piano, oboe, mandolin, bassoon, and bells.

Bells, in fact, actually hold a sort of permanent second-favourite status.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby bignaf » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:15 pm

french horn, oboe. g string on violin. bells. gongs. high cello. low clarinet, low flute. those are my favourites.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:15 pm

and low english horn too.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:36 am

Hey, 'naf! Glad you're still alive. ;) :D
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:38 am

French horn. Trumpet. Then the rest of the brass, in general, followed by the entire percussion section. Strings in a pack (with the cello out front) closely followed by a clutter of reeds.

I should point out that a superior player can make any instrument a thing of beauty. However, Wynton Marsalis playing a Haydn trumpet concerto... :speechless: :awestruck:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:43 am

Catmando wrote:Great question Nav. I would have thought the oboe more match the range of the violin, while the clarinet would match the range of the viola.

The book groups oboe, trumpet, clarinet and violin. No mention of the viola, though.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:22 am

What!!! Selma! No bagpipes????
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:25 am

navneeth wrote:The book groups oboe, trumpet, clarinet and violin. No mention of the viola, though.

Boy, the viola never seems to get alot of attention. If Rodney Dangerfield were still alive and wanted to play an instrument, he'd probably play the viola. :wink:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:03 am

Catmando wrote:Boy, the viola never seems to get alot of attention.

It has its share in the section on string instruments.
Last edited by navneeth on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:20 am

Favorite Instruments / Ranges...

:D Of course #1 Trumpet :flex:
then
Cello :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Catmando » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:24 am

I was intrigued by what Nicole was talking about yesterday regarding the Wagner family dispute/spat.

I was scratching my head thinking how can Richard Wagner's grandson still be alive???

Well, I did some research, and Wolfgang, his living grandson who is 87, is the son of Siegfried, who was age 50 when Wolfie was born, while granddad Richard the Great was 56 when his 3rd child Siegfried was born!

:shock:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:31 am

Shapley wrote:What!!! Selma! No bagpipes????

It's back in the "clutter of reeds". I do like bagpipes. I also like mustard and tabasco sauce. All those things are best served in small doses.

The best thing about bagpipes is the speed with which they clear my cube of stray engineers, logisticians, and gossips. :twisted:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am

Catmando wrote: If Rodney Dangerfield were still alive and wanted to play an instrument, he'd probably play the viola. :wink:

Naah. He'd play the bassoon, which I've heard described as "an ill wind nobody blows good".
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:45 pm

I don't know how long the ad for Osvaldo Golijou's Oceana will continue to appear on the main page, but this image looks pretty familiar.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:57 pm

Good catch on that pic Barfle! Who knew?
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:18 pm

Ah, nuts! Click on it so it is full-size on your screen. She is wearing a bathing suit underneath. :(
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes