The PW Camp

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: This is the Thread

Postby priya978 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:57 am

French Vanilla, ummmmm!<BR>(One) of my favs. (I also like Cookie Dough.)<BR> :D
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:13 am

Ahhh, now ice cream and classical music - what a combination.<P>A few years ago, my wife and I spent all our frequent flier miles and went to Italy on vacation. We heard some really good music (Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" played in a little brick church in Venice - the performance of a lifetime!) but were generally disappointed in the food. Let's just say it was unfamiliar to our American palates. <P>But the ice cream, now the Italians REALLY know their stuff there! Gelato beats Hoggin' Dass, 31 flavors, Swensons, Dreamery, you name it. Even the stuff you can buy in the supermarkets these days named "Gelato" doesn't hold a candle to the real thing. It's a treat NOT to be missed if you ever get to Venice, Florence, Milan, etc. :D
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:07 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by barfle:<BR><STRONG>... It's a treat NOT to be missed if you ever get to Venice, Florence, Milan, etc...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>barfle,<P>"etc." to cover great cities like Rome?<P>Regards,<BR>Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby priya978 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:01 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by barfle:<BR><STRONG>Ahhh, now ice cream and classical music - what a combination.<BR> :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You might as well be talking about heaven.<BR> :D
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby priya978 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:32 pm

I like ice cream!!!<BR>and classical music. <BR>and ice cream. <BR> :D
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by barfle:<BR><STRONG>Hoggin' Dass :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>wonder why I haven't heard that one before. LMAO<BR> :D
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:10 pm

Tim,<BR>only Tuscan ice cream is worth the trip not the old Roman ####. :D
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by barfle:<BR><STRONG>Ahhh, now ice cream and classical music - what a combination.<P>But the ice cream, now the Italians REALLY know their stuff there! Gelato beats Hoggin' Dass, 31 flavors, Swensons, Dreamery, you name it. Even the stuff you can buy in the supermarkets these days named "Gelato" doesn't hold a candle to the real thing. It's a treat NOT to be missed if you ever get to Venice, Florence, Milan, etc. :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B>NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!!!</B> You know, I went on a singing tour to Tuscany in the summer of '99. We started just south of Milan and worked our way down to Rome, where among other things we got to do an afternoon mass in St. Peter's Basilica (I could start a whole new thread just on the accoustics there!). But, do I count any of those singing experiences as most memorable? The architecture? The art? Seeing and touching the history? No! It was the <B>GELATO!</B> Every time I saw a gelato stand I had to go in and have some. You're right my man, nothing here holds a candle to it. Ciaccolotto, per favore. :D<p>[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bignaf » Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:57 pm

the ice cream thread.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:24 pm

Nice to see you guys chilling out.<BR>Shos<P>BTW, we have some Neapolitan (3-flavor ice cream) in our freezer. How is the Gelato Napolitano in Italy?
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:35 pm

chilling :) <BR>was the pun intended? (chiling-ice cream)<BR>cool thread :cool:
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:12 am

I dunno. Could NEVER seem to get past the ciaccolotto. :D :p :cool:
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:41 pm

It seems like they didn't do a lot of those multi-flavor things - I don't recall seeing anything like chocolate chip cookie dough or fudge ripple, but everything I tried was so full of flavor that it really didn't need anything else.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:19 am

from redludwig:<BR>"CD Review: Fretwork: Bach: The Art of Fugue (Harmonia-Mundi) <BR> <BR>In the last great work of his life, Bach poured all of the invention and contrapuntal complexity that were at his formidable command into The Art of Fugue. On this CD, Fretwork, a London-based viol consort that was formed in 1986, plays the work with a precision and empathy that are remarkably engaging.<BR><BR>The ensemble performs with a suppleness that is ideally suited to the 20 brief movements that comprise the work. On the Contrapuntus 2, they embark on the theme with a heaviness worthy of the Middle Ages, only to evolve - as the theme itself evolves - into elegant and sprightly contrapuntal textures.<BR><BR>This sense of nuance and feel are displayed in other movements, notably the Contrapunctus 6 and Canon per Augmentationem in Contrario Motu, in which flowing lines are countered by bass gigures of astonishing warmth and grace.<BR> <BR>14 January 2003 — George Follett"
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:46 am

Yeah, sure, but what has that got to do with GELATO? Priorities, man, priorities! :p
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bignaf » Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:05 pm

OT. <BR>this is the thread itr is open for any sort of discussion or post. :) :cool:
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:52 pm

Superstar tenor Luciano Pavarotti is a father again. His companion, Nicoletta Mantovani, gave birth to a girl on Monday in Bologna, Italy.<BR><BR>The baby, born prematurely, weighed 3.8 pounds at birth. A twin male fetus was born dead due to a rare complication, a molar pregnancy, in which there is placenta but no embryo. Mantovani was forced to undergo an emergency Caesarian section.<BR><BR>"Faced with the complexity of the case and of the connected risks, Ms. Mantovani, with courage and uncommon determination, decided, together with MAESTRO Luciano Pavarotti, to go on with the pregnancy," a source at Bologna's Gynecological and Obstetrical Clinic at Sant'Orsola Polyclinic, told the Associated Press.<BR> <BR>16 January 2003 — RW Deutsch, news editor <BR>capitals mine. "maestro" for a human sound producer of the tenor variety????
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:54 pm

SELLARS TO STAGE IRAQ "WAR" <BR> <BR>Peter Sellars will direct a production of Mozart's Idomeneo <BR> <BR><BR>Controversial director Peter Sellars can be as clever off-the-cuff as when he is thinking up new ways to stage old operas.<BR><BR>When the UK's Glyndebourne Festival approached Sellars about directing a production of Mozart's Idomeneo as part of its upcoming summer program, he concocted the idea of setting it during a presumed U.S. invasion of Iraq.<BR><BR>When asked about the production, according to the New York Times, Sellars said,"I assume it will be history by the time we stage it in June." <BR>16 January 2003 <BR><BR> <BR>I hate that guy. if he wants to be unconventional for it's own sake (which is dumb) he should at least do it well.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby priya978 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:58 pm

I'm eating dinner. Chicken Adobo with four cheese mash potatoes. And for desert I'm having peach cobbler. Ummmmmmm...... :cool:
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby jaime » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:11 pm

mmmm... peach cobbler :)
"whoa, sing softly." ~phish.
jaime
5th Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes