The PW Camp

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: This is the Thread

Postby bignaf » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:16 pm

welcome to the board Jaime.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:51 am

Welcome, Jaime. You can see we take things VERY seriously here. <BR>BTW Bignaf, just trying to stay focused on what's truly important in life (gelato).<BR> :p :cool:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby TJRDN » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:20 pm

For what it's worth Tower Records is having a 25% off sale on everything in stock. Was perusing the site and saw a few potential purchases. The sale is good till Monday. www.towerrecords.com>
TJRDN
4th Chair

Postby jaime » Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:36 pm

and now gelato? you all eat well :) thanks for the welcome!!
"whoa, sing softly." ~phish.
jaime
5th Chair

Postby haggis » Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:47 pm

I’ve come to the conclusion that the earth is not round, nor is it flat. My hypothesis is that the earth is actually a 7-sided cube and the forces of gravity cause the oceans to round off the corners. <BR>I’ve almost confirmed that Stone Mountain in Georgia and Ayers Rock, down under are two of the corners. I theorized that at least one of the corners is actually in another dimension; that could possibly explain the reason for the great rift in Africa, a kind of turned inside out corner.<BR>Oops, gotta go, I’m doing so much better now that the let me out on weekends…..think I’ll go to Mars today.
Haggis

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
haggis
2nd Chair

Location: warm, humid, and wonderfully sticky Dallas, Texas!!

Postby priya978 » Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:11 pm

Ummm, Okay Haggis. Not going to touch that. :roll:
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:31 pm

excited trembling: I'm going to devour a mound of gelato soon (OK it's American equivalent) i'm so excited. stay tuned for the reaction.<BR>OT, life is too precious to take it seriously.<BR> :p <BR>Ot,<BR>you are a very handsome red x. the URL of your pic seems to be a combination of your email address and a location on your hard drive. I've never heard of a thing like that working :confused: I'm not an expert though.<BR>[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: bignaf ]
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby BenMurphy6 » Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:05 pm

haggis: a seven-sided cube? that's the least cubical cube i've ever heard of :)
BenMurphy6
3rd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:01 pm

the ice cream was good too bad it's over :( .
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby priya978 » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:34 pm

It was just good? Not great, or fantastic? Well since it wasn't Italy I get it. Plus I feel sad for me. Your ice cream expirence is over, mine never started. :(
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby bignaf » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:49 pm

was just good. not great or awesome.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:09 am

Sorry folks, been away from the computer for a few minutes.<BR>Big, sorry man, you gotta go to the boot for the real gelato. I'm glad you enjoyed yours, anyhow. As for my "X", I'm waiting for some free web hosting that's coming down the pike for me. But then, while we're throwing stones, how about you? Not even an "X"?<BR>Haggis, to me reading your posts is like being the last one in the crack the whip line. I'm in awe (and a little scared :D
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bignaf » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:32 am

putting a red x would be a good idea in my case. <BR>I'm also cheap i need free remote hosting. and i'm too lazy to look for it.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:26 am

Am i posting too much? I think I might be the poster with the fastest growing no. of posts. i have to add my take to every other post on this board and make many dumb posts.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby SymphonyMan » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:49 pm

I don't know if this is true or not, but it's an observation I have made lately. I work on one piano piece at a time and meticulously take the piece apart and make it so I can create the best interpretation I can...I try to intimately get to know every piece i play. I just see so many people my age (16) hacking through the notes and saying, "Oh I've played that piece.", when indeed they have played it...but it is often the worst sounding interpretation because it sounds like they're sight reading it. I mean, there are a lot of extrodinarily great young pianists that work hard on their pieces....and then there are some that play the same music but at a whole lesser level. I don't know. Sorry guys I had to let all that out. I think I will go eat peach cobbler now.
"If we do not make the audience weep, we have failed as musicians." - Otto Werner-Mueller
SymphonyMan
5th Chair

Postby bignaf » Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:42 pm

that's the way bro. sweat and tears. that's why I hate learning pieces since my technique is so bad I have to work very hard on every piece.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:13 pm

Eric, I feel you're on the right track. Not becoming intimate with the piece and just getting through it are NOT what music is about to me, and the difference is probably most apparent with the voice (opinion). <BR>To me music is about the expression of emotion and conveyance of feeling, and the performer has to give part of his or her self to the piece and try to feel what the composer is trying to convey. For example, one of the things I love about Puccini is that, if the musicians are into the task, the listener doesn't need to interpret the language to know what is happening in the story, they can <I>feel</I> it through the music. For all of its sophistication and complexity, what really matters about all of this good music we listen to and yack about boils down to what it does to our nerve endings, and it takes more than mechanical reproduction to reach them. :cool:<BR>[ 01-19-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby bignaf » Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:40 pm

Yeah Puccini!<BR>I disagree (of course) that the dedication to learning a piece is more aparent in voice in fact i think that because the voice is the most natural way of expression you don't have to ponder a vocal piece as much since the real expression comes out more easily. in piano playing you have to analize so many things (with your head) to make it work down to technical things like fingering theyt also influence the expression. I agree however, that voice is the most intimate expression and you rewally give more out of your inner self when performing. composing is the ultimate in both respects. takes the most thought and is VERY personal (for most composers).
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:26 am

[quote:920cebfdfb]Originally posted by bignaf:<BR>[b:920cebfdfb]Yeah Puccini!<BR> the voice is the most natural way of expression you don't have to ponder a vocal piece as much since the real expression comes out more easily. .[/b:920cebfdfb][/quote:920cebfdfb]<BR>I'm gonna get all technical on you now! In all actuality, the production of sound that we call language is the least natural ritual process we have as humans, and singing is a complicating progression from that. We take an organ (the vocal folds) originally intended to keep anything but air out of the lungs and use it to make sounds and communicate with each other. The tough part of singing is to make such an inherently <I>unnatural</I> process <I>seem</I> natural and comfortable, while at the same time getting a message across to the listener on multiple levels simultaneously, and being able to do that for sustained periods consistently. Even though singers don't have a visible appendage that produces music like an instrumentalist does, the vocal instrument is an exceedingly complicated and subtle instrument with scores of variables that affect its performance. In complexity I compare it to a bassoon. So many keys to concentrate on, and one false move and you stick out like a sore thumb! Vocal production is very similar in that respect. To get that Pavarotti ring, richness and presence in the voice takes a lot of attention to a multitude of details. Oh yeah, and then we're supposed to emote and be musical. By comparison, how you strike the key, fingering, which pedal(s) are employed when, tempo, dynamics and rythm, while being no small feat to master, lack the subtleties employed in good vocal production. Let me know if I need to back that up with specifics (not that I haven't focused a good portion of my energy over the course of my life so far on this stuff). Sorry if I get a little over-exuberant about this, but I love it! :cool:
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:42 am

Okay, if your eyes start to glaze over reading all of that, suffice it to say that the voice is far less <I>finite</I> of an instrument than anything else. :cool:
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes