Spring/Summer Plans?

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:32 am

The Toyota is on the shopping list, Honda Odessey too, as is this
In the 3rd row configurations. 18 mpg is OK with me, but no less.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:41 am

What about a Subaru Tribeca?

Subaru B9 Tribeca AWD
6 cyl, 3 L, Auto(S5), Premium 16 (city) 21 (highway)

the city mileage is a bit under you 18 figure but
i believe it is a sturdier vehicle...

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:42 am

We have a Toyota Sequoia now. Nice a roomy, like a rolling Ramada Inn. One of the aft seats is permanently removed to make room for the wheelchair. The other would probably come out for a long trip to make room for gear, etc. That would leave two bucket seats forward and the 60/40 bench amidships.

I guess one could add one of those car-top luggage containters for the trip, although I think they are better for going-and-staying type travel than road trips, since they are pain to get stuff in and out. If we find ourselves driving to our nest cruise departure point, it may be a consideration for luggage. (we could fill it with dirty laundry during the return trip :D ). I would think the little streamlined models wouldn't impact gas mileage too badly. I don't think the Toyota does too badly, even with the V-8, although we've not checked it on a long trip fully laden.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:12 pm

I don't fit in the Subaru, and the Sequoia doesn't meet my 18 mpg threshold. 'member, I'm BigJon, very few vehicles fit me comfortably.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:09 pm

We got the Honda Odyessy last August - it's got over 13,000 miles on it already. With 'summer formula' gas, I'm getting about 22mpg for my mostly highway commute and have gotten about 24 - 24.5 mpg on long trips. It's closer to 19 in the winter. We looked at and test drove both this and the Sienna and found them very similar. Basically it came down to us feeling we were going to get a better deal on the Odyessy. It's very comfy - relatively easy for me to climb into the back to get stuff for the kids, or sit in the bench seat and entertain Bella. Love that the overhead lights are over the bucket seats in the second row - on winter evenings, Pumpkin can have a light on while I'm driving and it's not distracting.

We've already been to MA in May, and to Massena, NY in June for a wedding. We missed the wedding in Indiana as the airline messed up our flights, we weren't sure we'd make our connection and the line was so long (automated checkin wasn't working) that we couldn't catch our first flight (they told us to stay there - after I had found out that if we missed our connection we wouldn't be able to get to our destination until the next day -everything was booked). Disappointing, but I didn't have to discover what is was like getting two flights with a 3 year old and 7 month old.

Next up is an extended trip. Family reunion and memorial for my mom's mom in MA this weekend, the we drive to NJ - see my greataunts, visit dad's mom's grave and spend a couple of days in NYC (hoping for Museum of Natural History and Bronx Zoo), and seeing my friend who had twins about 7 weeks ago. Doing all this with my parents and brother's family (wife, son 6.5 yrs, son 1 year). Husband will be flying to St. Louis for a conference on Monday and will arrive back in Rochester Thursday. We'll also be back home next Thursday, so we'll have 3-day weekend to recover. Van's going to get it's exercise, that's for sure!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:10 pm

Forgot to mention BigJohn - I loved the Odyessy when I was pregnant. Lots of room and easy to get in and out. I surely wasn't as big as you, but I was quite round!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:57 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:I surely wasn't as big as you, but I was quite round!

<snickers>
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:49 pm

BigJon, although I haven't made the trip myself, I have heard some very strong recommendations for the Crazy Horse monument that's being built only 17 miles from Mt. Rushmore.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:04 pm

Thanks, it's on the agenda.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:45 pm

The big trip went well. Only 2 bedtime breakdowns on the part of Pumpkin and he napped at least a bit in the car almost everyday. :D Bella didn't seem too put off by the travelling, but spent more time sleeping in bed with me than in her port-a-crib. Not something we do at home, but way more comfortable nursing than in some hotel desk chair. Didn't get to the zoo - too much rain that day postponed our departure and threat of more kept us away. Pumpkin and Bella got to play in a playground that day while we visited with the twins - at 7 weeks still not quite the size of Bella at birth! So, when I get the photos I hope to post the kids in my aunt's pool - they loved it!; Pumpkin and dino bones at the museum (topped off a great day - he seemed happy before we got there just having to have had a ride on the Staten Is. ferry and the subway); and a filthy Bella after crawling all around the playground - she found every puddle and place where dirt collected on the plastic/rubber surface around the playground.

Van got great gas mileage and I didn't complain about gas at $2.75/gallon in NJ!!! Had been happy to get it for $2.99 in MA.

Next up are just day trips - a canal boat ride on the Erie Canal when the in-laws are up for Bella's baptism, daytrip to visit my parents while they're camping, daytrip to visit a friend and her kids at her parent's cottage on a little lake. Phew!
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:31 am

Well, our "Wine Group" (made up of three couples) is heading out of town (SF Bay area) this last weekend of summer and planning a weekend reunion with our friends. The folks we are visiting were founding members of our monthly wine group, but due to a job change are now seeking their fortunes in Temecula.

So, on Friday, we'll all be boarding a plane for SoCal. Saturday will be a wine tour day with our friends capped with a dinner hallmarking NorCal wines. Sunday will be spent touring Sandy Eggo and hopefully making a pit stop at Fat Ivors. Thanks to your ravings about the place, I have convinced everyone that it is a "must do". The wine for that evening will be Zinfandel. Do you think Fat Ivors has a "corkage fee"? Has anyone ever brought their own wine there?

I would welcome any suggestions for "must see/do" activities in Sandy Eggo or surrounds.
Last edited by jamiebk on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:40 am

Jamie,

Have a great weekend!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:47 am

Do you think Fat Ivors has a "corkage fee"? Has anyone ever brought their own wine there?

Wine? Fat Ivors? It's more a sweet tea/soda/beer place. You may have to bring your own glasses as well as wine. PM OT and see if they have a corkage policy, he's the original Fat-Ivor's-hanger-outer; used to work at the rent-a-tractor place next to it.

Temecula, eh? My littlest kid works in the Harry's Pacific Bar & Grill there, in the shopping center (Temecula only has one big shopping center). There are plenty of wineries and tasting rooms, though. Enjoy!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:00 pm

We did end up buying a 2004 Volvo XC90 just before our big trip this summer. Thank goodness! It is by far the greatest highway devouring machine I've ever experienced. 6-12 hours in the saddle and I got out feeling like my body could drive for another 6-12 hours. My mind was another story . . . Also, it fit the 5 of us quite comfortably with all our gear for camping.

It was a little risky buying the car and leaving for a 3200 mile trip a few days later, but it never missed a beat.

The BigVolv on tour:
In Indiana:

At the Badlands in South Dakota:

In front of our cabin in Custer SD with ‘lil’bit coming out to check it over for safety before we hit the highway. (Passed inspection with flying colors)

BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Culture Connections