New B.com Format

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

New B.com Format

Postby DavidS » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:59 pm

May I be the first to congratulate B.com on the attractive new format. Looks great, and I look forward to trying some of the new features. :-)
Some (teething, I expect) bugs I have encountered:
1. When I try to insert smilies (yes, they are turned on) by clicking them I get bumped up to the top of the page, but no smiley gets entered. I inserted the above smiley by typing : - ).
2. I can't select text with my mouse, but I can using arrows and shift.
3. When I try following the link in "Topic Reply Notification" mails, I get the following message: "Sorry, but this board is currently unavailable. Please try again later." (As you can see, access via the normal channels works ok.)
4. Looks like the clock is 1 hour slow (DST not activated?)
5. How do I turn on the "Topic Reply Notification" feature for topics in general and for individual postings?
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Re: New B.com Format

Postby navneeth » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:23 am

1. When I try to insert smilies (yes, they are turned on) by clicking them I get bumped up to the top of the page, but no smiley gets entered. I inserted the above smiley by typing : - ).

If you're reading this and still have the problem, try enabling javascript (if you have blocked it). BBB is on my NoScript (Firefox extension) white list, so I don't have problems clicking smilies. But once I moved it to my black list, I was shown a page not found error, whenever I clicked on a smiley.

3. When I try following the link in "Topic Reply Notification" mails, I get the following message: "Sorry, but this board is currently unavailable. Please try again later." (As you can see, access via the normal channels works ok.)

5. How do I turn on the "Topic Reply Notification" feature for topics in general and for individual postings?

I don't see a link to "Topic Reply Notification," but what do I see are a checkbox just beneath the post window under options that says 'Notify me when a reply is posted', and right at the bottom of the page there is a link to 'Subscribe Topic'. (You should be in non-posting mode to see this.)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:43 am

I like the most of the new format. Looks clean and neat. I'm looking forward to using the new version of the phpBB before we go live on our own site too.

A couple of issues.
The right side is getting cut off on some pages. Like if there is a listing of prior pages in the thread, and page 101 is the last one listed, I only see the first 1 in 101. Also the right side of the last row of smileys is cut off in this reply box.

For my aging eyes, the default font for the board could be one size larger.

The yellow chosen for the alternating bands in the thread is so close to the yellow for the frame around the page, that it is almost indistinguishable. It would look better if there was a bit more contrast between the two.

Was there any though given to enabling some of the spell-check options available with phpBB 3.0?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:52 am

Nicole and The Gang, I love it! Love the new look, and some of the new features.

Though I look forward to and hope the activation of the "Avatar" feature will soon become a reality.

Good job Beethoven Radio! :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:54 am

The new format looks nice. The bold orange is really striking.

The bulletin board will take some getting used to, but it's mostly just finding the things that have been moved.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:01 am

I see there is a new feature to 'add friend' and 'add foe'. What exactly happens if you add someone to the 'foe' list?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:03 am

Shapley wrote:I see there is a new feature to 'add friend' and 'add foe'. What exactly happens if you add someone to the 'foe' list?

And what if someone adds you as a friend, but you add them as a foe? :P
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:10 am

Catmando wrote: And what if someone adds you as a friend, but you add them as a foe? :P

The universe as we know it will cease to exist.

Many questions answered here
faq.php
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:26 am

BigJon@Work wrote:I like the most of the new format. Looks clean and neat. I'm looking forward to using the new version of the phpBB before we go live on our own site too.

A couple of issues.
The right side is getting cut off on some pages. Like if there is a listing of prior pages in the thread, and page 101 is the last one listed, I only see the first 1 in 101. Also the right side of the last row of smileys is cut off in this reply box.

For my aging eyes, the default font for the board could be one size larger.

The yellow chosen for the alternating bands in the thread is so close to the yellow for the frame around the page, that it is almost indistinguishable. It would look better if there was a bit more contrast between the two.

Was there any though given to enabling some of the spell-check options available with phpBB 3.0?

Big Jon,

There's a button at the top right corner, just below "Advanced Search" to toggle between a larger font and smaller font. :)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:30 am

When I toggle the font size the column width stays the same.

The larger font is nice for my aging eyes, though. :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:39 am

I used to be able to click on the right hand side of the BB and go directly to the most recent post for a given topic (near the poster's name). I guess this function is gone. Seems like you have to enter into the category and then select the one you want. Seems like two or three steps when it used to be one.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:41 am

PS...I kind of miss the old "Musical Notes" that were used as topic status indicators
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:53 am

I'm having this same problem: [quote][The right side is getting cut off on some pages. Like if there is a listing of prior pages in the thread, and page 101 is the last one listed, I only see the first 1 in 101. Also the right side of the last row of smileys is cut off in this reply box.
/quote]

noticed if you click on 'Page x of y' I got a box popping up that asked what page I wanted to go to. that worked, but it'd be better if it wasn't cut off. I'm in MS Explorer by the way.

oh, and I just edited this - clicking the 'Quote' button above the entry and pasting something didn't result in a quote for me...
Last edited by Schmeelkie on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:55 am

Catmando wrote: There's a button at the top right corner, just below "Advanced Search" to toggle between a larger font and smaller font. :)

I know, but it is not persistent and now even more stuff runs off the right side of the page.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby CLarsen » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:59 am

Hi Ya'll,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I haven't yet finished skinning this new BB or fully configuring it (just got the whole site up last night) but I'll be tweaking it over the next week or two. Keep noting the changes you don't like and I'll try to get it done. Thank you for your patience!
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:08 am

jamiebk wrote:I used to be able to click on the right hand side of the BB and go directly to the most recent post for a given topic (near the poster's name). I guess this function is gone. Seems like you have to enter into the category and then select the one you want. Seems like two or three steps when it used to be one.

It's still there, it is just a smaller target. It looks like a sheet of white paper with the lower right corner blackened. Do you see that after every last poster's name? That will take you to the last post.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:10 am

I used to be able to click on the right hand side of the BB and go directly to the most recent post for a given topic (near the poster's name). I guess this function is gone. Seems like you have to enter into the category and then select the one you want. Seems like two or three steps when it used to be one.

The "View New Topics" seems to be closer to the 'view recent posts', which was lost when the previous new format was added. The 'view posts since last visit' was troublesome as you could lose new posts if you were viewing and responding to a long list, as it reset periodically. This seems to have fixed that flaw, but I won't be able to say for sure until I visit the board after a few days absense to see how 'new posts' are defined...

Clicking on thread in the 'new posts' menu takes you to the first page of the thread, instead of the most recent. The page numbers are there, so I just have to get used to clicking on the last page instead of the thread name. A minor annoyance.

I think I'll like this format better than the last, once I find everything.

Thanks for your hard work, Chris. And to all your assistants, whoever they are. The new page looks nice.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:12 am

jamiebk wrote:I used to be able to click on the right hand side of the BB and go directly to the most recent post for a given topic (near the poster's name). I guess this function is gone. Seems like you have to enter into the category and then select the one you want. Seems like two or three steps when it used to be one.

No, it's not gone. There's a tiny button to the left of the topic name with an arrow pointing to the bottom right. Click that and you will be taken to the first in the set of posts that you have not read. Then there's the button at the other end, next to the member's name who has posted the most recent message - click that and you'll be taken to the latest post in that thread. This is available from the main page of the BB.

BTW, did anyone else notice that you can create folders for your PMs? And did you guys also check if PM's go through? ;)

EDIT: I submit this post, and I get a message at the top saying 'At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.' (It shows BigJon's reply quoting jamie's post.) That is a useful feature in some cases. In others, it's just a nice way of saying, "You wasted your time typing all that!" :P :mrgreen:

EDIT2:Now it shows me Shap's reply. Stop quoting jamiebk for the next few minutes, people, please! :rofl:
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:36 am

Shapley wrote: The "View New Topics" seems to be closer to the 'view recent posts', which was lost when the previous new format was added. The 'view posts since last visit' was troublesome as you could lose new posts if you were viewing and responding to a long list, as it reset periodically. This seems to have fixed that flaw, but I won't be able to say for sure until I visit the board after a few days absense to see how 'new posts' are defined...

I don't think it solves the problem at all. It just puts a new name on it. But did you notice at the bottom of the page that you can filter posts in a thread by the time they were added? I'm still working on a mod that will allow you to roll back the last visited time so you don't miss anything new.

Shapley wrote: Clicking on thread in the 'new posts' menu takes you to the first page of the thread, instead of the most recent. The page numbers are there, so I just have to get used to clicking on the last page instead of the thread name. A minor annoyance.

Why don't you use the little orange buttons to take you to the first new post in the thread?
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:38 am

Thanks Navneeth and Chris. :D 8)
I have found the functions I was looking for, and I see the minor bugs I mentioned have been cleared up.
So what we have is a very pleasing, friendly site. Good work! :thumbup: (Suggestion: What about an actual ":thumbup:" smiley?)
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Helping Hand