Talk About Your Orchestra!

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

Postby Nicole Marie » Thu May 17, 2007 8:42 am

We have just started to record our performances for sale. I'll touch base with the librarian and see if we can snag a few.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Thu May 17, 2007 11:58 am

cool. :toast:

I'm looking forward to hearing the double bass section.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:03 pm

Here's the Rochester Phil's web site with events:
http://www.rpo.org/s_1/Concerts_and_Events/

I'm thinking of taking the kids to the free concert on the Erie Canal (RPO will be on a barge!) this Friday. Good venue for little kids...

They also do 'orKIDStra' concerts for those aged 3-9 - been meaning to get Pumpkin to one. Hinted at my folks that this might be a good opportunity for them to spend time with the 'older' grandkids (Pumpkin and cousin who's 6).

They do lots of community and free events in addition to the 'regular' concerts. And it doesn't hurt to be able to recruit right out of the Eastman School of Music.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Re: Talk About Your Orchestra!

Postby Catmando » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am

Also wanted to talk about Chamber Music here.

I just purchased season tickets to the 2007/2008 season of The Winnipeg Chamber Music Society, which includes 7 concerts:

Concert 1: September 23, 2007

Brahms - Piano Trio Op. 101 in C minor :crazy:
McIntyre - Violin Sonata No. 2 "Sprints"
Beethoven - String Quartet Op. 74 in E flat major "Harp" :crazy:

Concert 2: November 4, 2007

Dohnanyi - String Trio Serenade in C major, Op. 10
Ravel - Violin Sonata
Mozart - String Quartet in D major, K.499 :crazy:

Concert 3: January 20, 2008

Prokofiev - Sonata for 2 violins in C major, Op. 56
Mendelssohn - String Quartet in A minor, Op. 13
Beethoven - Piano Trio in D major, Op. 70, no. 1 "Ghost" :crazy:

Concert 4: March 9, 2008

Beethoven - Piano Trio in E flat major, Op. 1, no. 1
Schubert - Impromptu in B flat major, Op. 142 no. 3
Schubert - String Quartet in A minor, D804 "Rosamunde" :crazy:

Concert 5: May 4, 2008

Haydn - Piano Trio in D major, Hob XV:7
Piazzolla - L'histoire du Tango for saxophone and piano :?
Schumann - Piano Quintet in E flat major, Op. 44 :crazy:

Concert 6 and 7: June 17 & 19, 2008 "Mozart and more Festival"

Mozart - Piano Trio in B flat major, K292
Saint-Saens - Violin Sonata in D minor, op. 75
Beethoven - String Trio in G major, op. 9. no. 1

Mozart - Piano Quartet in G minor, K478
Mendelssohn - Octet in E flat major, op. 18 :crazy: Oh my YES! When I saw this, I knew I had to get the season tickets.

Winnipeg Chamber Music Society
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:37 pm

There's a lot more to :crazy: about there. :)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:48 pm

navneeth wrote:There's a lot more to :crazy: about there. :)

Ohhhh, absolutely! :crazy: Pretty darn good chamber music line up.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:27 am

Catmando wrote:Concert 1: September 23, 2007

Brahms - Piano Trio Op. 101 in C minor McIntyre - Violin Sonata No. 2 "Sprints"
Beethoven - String Quartet Op. 74 in E flat major "Harp"

Last night was my first attendance to a chamber music concert. It was absolutely fantastic!

Live chamber music is such a wonderful experience. It was very interesting to see the interaction among the musicians.

Looking forward to the next one in November. :crazy:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:42 am

Catmando wrote:Live chamber music is such a wonderful experience. It was very interesting to see the interaction among the musicians.

That is true. Sometimes seeing them sway when playing makes you think that they are in a trance.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Ghostman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:43 pm

I live in Cincinnati Ohio, and am blessed to have so many classical music events to choose from, however, they would be encumbering to try to list individually. It seems our Music Hall or Aronoff Center is holding performances every week, if not nightly in some cases.

If anyone is interested, I could provide links to web sights.
Ghostman
5th Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:15 pm

There are geographical clusters of listeners, but I don't think there's anyone else in Cincinnati. There's a DC bunch (they occasionally do lunch) and we have a Sandy Eggo bunch (called Random - which describes us pretty well) and I'm waiting for the Bay Area or New England to grow a social grouping. The whole midwest is spread out fairly thinly. There's a Pennsyltuckian, a Misery inhabitant, etc. Not to mention a couple of canadians and a kiwi...
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Ghostman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:38 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:There are geographical clusters of listeners, but I don't think there's anyone else in Cincinnati. There's a DC bunch (they occasionally do lunch) and we have a Sandy Eggo bunch (called Random - which describes us pretty well) and I'm waiting for the Bay Area or New England to grow a social grouping. The whole midwest is spread out fairly thinly. There's a Pennsyltuckian, a Misery inhabitant, etc. Not to mention a couple of canadians and a kiwi...

Me? The only Cincinnatian? That’s probably because we have a decent local classical music station.
http://www.wguc.org/listen/registration.asp
I prefer Beethoven.com for several reasons.

1. They don't spend 20 minutes of the hour asking for money, and thanking those who contribute.
2. WGUC will only play request for "members" (donors), and it has to be a sizable amount.
3. Beethoven's format is greatly more appealing, with things like Mid-morning Mozart, and Film at 11.
4. "without the attitude" is well spoken, and much appreciated.
5. The play list/musical choices here at Beethoven, are fun, due to the listener driven format.
6. The station doesn’t "fuzz-out" after the sun goes down.
7. I've have had several correspondences with the wonderful people here at Beethoven, and never made to feel like an idiot.
8. Beethoven.com has sent me a prize pack, WGUC sends me donation demands... er, requests.

I support the arts here in Cincinnati by attending events, with my wife and children.

I can go on, but I think you get the idea.

The music WGUC plays is good, but that's where it ends. (IMO) I listen in my car.
Last edited by Ghostman on Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostman
5th Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Yeah, that "listening in the car" situation is one that beethoven doesn't do very well.

Last year about this time, I went on vacation into New England and Canadia, and we stopped by the studios. I was able to listen to them in the car for about 20 minutes coming in and 20 minutes going out.

I hope their HD piggyback on their FM rock station expands their local listener base, and maybe some grandparents will get nice memories.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:31 pm

Stop by the studio and become immortalized on the webcam! :guitar:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:09 am

Serenity wrote:Stop by the studio and become immortalized on the webcam! :guitar:

Next time I visit my brother in New Hampshire I must try to stop by for a visit....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Re:

Postby Catmando » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:24 pm

Catmando wrote:

1 September 28, 2007
60th Anniversary Gala Opener

Berlioz - Roman Carnival
Ravel - Piano Concerto in G Major
Berlioz - Symphonie fantastique

Quite simply, the best concert I've ever attended.
Catmando
1st Chair

Re:

Postby Catmando » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:28 pm

Nicole Marie wrote:Talk about my orchestra! Sure!

I am principal double bassist with the West Hartford Symphony Orchestra. We have a concert this weekend (the 19th) featuring an all pops program. We will feature jazz, skat, and a host of traditional pops tunes. I play with a great group of musicians! Check us out! http://www.whso.org

Nicole Marie, I visited the West Hartford Symphony Orchestra site. Very interesting seating!

I have a few questions: How is the young WHSO, in it's 6th season doing? How do you compete with the Hartford Symphony Orchestra?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:55 am

got to take Pumpkin (age 4) to the first OrKIDStra concert of the season on Sunday - titled, 'Things that go Bump in the Orchestra'. The orchestra was all in costume (including the trumpet section seated on a couch, with a TV, chips and soda, dressed in t-shirts, pj pants, bathrobes and Yankees hats - conductor introduced them as the NY Yankees - as close to the World Series as they're going to get - :cry: ). We never got a program - so here's what I remember: started with Sorcerer's Apprentice (orchestra members joined in as they entered the stage), a Kornberg piece called Gobblins (which Pumpkin said didn't sound like gobblins, but did sound creepy), something by Katchaturian, themes from Jaws and Psycho (conductor said, 'your parents can tell you about that movie when you're a bit older...'), Baba Yaga, and ended with Ride of the Valkyrie. I think I enjoyed myself more than Pumpkin. He was squirmy, but so were half the other kids. He said the horns were too loud and it lasted too long (only an hour), but he didn't seem to hate it... think we'll skip the holiday one, and go to the next in February.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Hairy Buddah » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:50 pm

The Seattle Symphony had a really fun concert a couple of weeks ago. Video game themes. That's right, Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, they were all there. Great way to get the kids into Benaroya Hall.

Hairy
Hairy Buddah
Section Player

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:20 pm

If you haven't been welcomed elsewhere - welcome to the pit, Hairy!

We missed the Feb OrKIDStra concert - planning on the April one.
RPO is doing Sheherezade the end of the month and Tchaikovsky's Pathetique in late March - hoping to grt to one -these are two of my fav pieces.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Previous

Return to Radio-Active