The PW Camp

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: This is the Thread

Postby priya978 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:08 am

[quote:920cebfdfb]Originally posted by operatenor:<BR>[b:920cebfdfb]<BR> By comparison, how you strike the key, fingering, which pedal(s) are employed when, tempo, dynamics and rythm, while being no small feat to master, lack the subtleties employed in good vocal production.[/b:920cebfdfb][/quote:920cebfdfb]<BR>OT!!!!!!<BR>How can you say that!!!! :mad: :mad: <BR>Get ready for TONS of hate mail!!!! :mad: :mad: <BR>Arggggggggggg!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: <BR>C'mon piano players, let's get 'em!!! :mad: :mad:
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:46 am

Easy does it, E. Have you ever studied voice? :cool:<BR>[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby vophelia » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:08 am

OMG!!!!<BR>You HAVE to be joking, right? You're actually trying to compare the piano to singing?!!? Uhm--I don't even think that's worth replying to. And just for the record, I don't play sing, I play violin. <BR>Which (just for the record) is harder than both...hehe :D<BR>[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: vophelia ]
vophelia
5th Chair

Postby haggis » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:06 am

Opera T - hey! That sounds like a Mozart rapper….”OperaT” Get down with your bad self…..- sorry, I’m easily distracted, one of those little prism light thingies can keep me going for hours.<BR>Anyway, concerning my slightly bizarre posts; from the beginning when I started to post here I recognized there are many clever people here and then there are the rare ones who are clever AND talented AND possess a sense of humor beyond the “rubber chicken” or “plastic-wrap-across-the-commode” type.<BR>In addition, I’ve read where musically inclined people use both lobes of the brain. By the way, in the context of this post “musically inclined” refers to those rare people who can make music and sometimes create it. “Musically inclined” does NOT mean “I play the juke box.”<BR>So, I’ve come to the conclusion that you smart people need a curve thrown at you every now; kind of like a quick squirt of cerebral WD-40. If not, then some of you – you KNOW who I’m talking to! – Tend to sulk, whine and look in the closest for that last corner of the blanket you had when you were 3 and could never quite part with when you went to college, and thought you were so clever disguising it as a monitor screen cleaner so you could keep it with you and no one would EVER know…..<BR>I mean BOTH lobes of the brain. That’s gotta be confusing. I'm happy with that little corner down in the bottom left of the right side of the left lobe…or…the upper right of the left side of the right….ow! That damn ice cream headache again!!<BR>So, to make a short story long, I’m actually here to help you appreciate yourselves. Quite selfless of me, really, rather ennobling, it gives one quiet pride in knowing one is contributing to……sorry another annoying habit of mine. I’m so proud of my humility.<BR>Cheers,<BR>[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: Haggis ]
Haggis

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
haggis
2nd Chair

Location: warm, humid, and wonderfully sticky Dallas, Texas!!

Postby treebeau » Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:22 am

[quote:920cebfdfb]Originally posted by Haggis:<BR>[b:920cebfdfb]...I recognized there are many clever people here and then there are the rare ones who are clever AND talented AND possess a sense of humor beyond the “rubber chicken” or “plastic-wrap-across-the-commode” type.<BR>...[/b:920cebfdfb][/quote:920cebfdfb]<BR>Wow, thanks, I'm blushing.<BR>Regards,<BR>Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby TJRDN » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:55 am

Welcome Vophelia! Good to see you over here. Join in when you can. :D
TJRDN
4th Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:27 pm

Haggis, thank you. I'm afraid though you might be confusing me with some of the people out here (Shos, for instance) who <I>have</I> brains. Remember, <I>I'M A TENOR</I>! That resonance has to come from someplace. Besides, it seems to me like you too have fallen victim to that notion that a brain is a useful organ (at least, the guys in the lab coats persuaded me that it was just a silly notion). Now look what you've done! I've lost my train of thought! Oh well, next victim......<BR>Vophelia, welcome to the pit! :D Now, having gotten that nicety out of the way, it's your turn..heh, heh, heeee... I was actually comparing the voice to the bassoon as a technical issue, it was my boys Bignaf and Eugene who went that piano route. You and I are on more equal footing, however. I haven't studied violin and you seem to have not studied voice. Maybe I should say we're both martyrs of perspective. I could never figure out why they don't put frets on those things..... :D However, if you'd ever like me to launch into a long boring explanation of the variables and technical aspects of vocal production, just let me know. Especially reccommended for insomnia. :D
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby priya978 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:10 pm

[quote:920cebfdfb]Originally posted by operatenor:<BR>[b:920cebfdfb]However, if you'd ever like me to launch into a long boring explanation of the variables and technical aspects of vocal production, just let me know. [/b:920cebfdfb][/quote:920cebfdfb]<BR>NO V.!!!!!!<BR> :cool:
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby priya978 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:19 pm

I just came back from Starbucks and had a Cafe Mocha and I missed my band concert because we parked in a place we weren't supposed to during certain hours and got a boot on our car. But sooner or later we got it off. :o
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby EJA » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:21 pm

Well, I just have to expostulate here. OT, do you really want to say that the larynx pharynx was designed as a valve for the lungs? Come on! It was designed for making noise and communication. Where do you get that nonsense? "Inherently unnatural . . ." Indeed! Next thing we know, you're going to be saying that walking and eating are unnatural.
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

Postby priya978 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:24 pm

What about when we crap? :D
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:45 pm

[quote:920cebfdfb]Originally posted by EJA:<BR>[b:920cebfdfb]Well, I just have to expostulate here. OT, do you really want to say that the larynx pharynx was designed as a valve for the lungs? Come on! It was designed for making noise and communication. Where do you get that nonsense? "Inherently unnatural . . ." Indeed! Next thing we know, you're going to be saying that walking and eating are unnatural.[/b:920cebfdfb][/quote:920cebfdfb]<BR>Well, in the process of my voice studies, I've been given papers to read and videos to watch which state that the vocal folds' primary function are not to make sound the way we use them to, and their primary function is to prevent aspiration. I'm only going on what I've been taught. Additionally, all five of my private voice teachers told me one of the main goals of good vocal production was to make an unnatural process sound natural and easy. If there is something I'm missing I'm always open to learn. :)<BR>Now, where did I put my monitor cleaning rag........<BR>[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby priya978 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:51 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah OT. But what about when we crap?
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:03 pm

I hate school holidays!!! :p
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby priya978 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:38 pm

what am I supposed to do about that. Your problem. Guess you'll just have to deal. :D :p
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby audiogirl » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:18 pm

It's true. Speech is an overlaid function. Even if we didn't talk, those vocal folds would have a purpose. We even have "false folds" above our vocal folds, which also aid in protection of our airway. I happen to think that the designer intended us to talk, however. <BR>In people who are particularly screwed-up, tense talkers, you can hear two "voices," because the false and true folds, both sets, are vibrating.<BR>Oh, and Eugene, those vocal folds are there for tasks that require holding one's breath, such as heavy lifting, childbirth, or other activities.<BR>I, for one, am NOT bored by your technical pontification, OT. Vocal A&P are juicy topics to me.<BR>[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: audiogirl ]<BR>[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: audiogirl ]
audiogirl
3rd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:30 pm

Thanks, Jennifer. When I get enough free moments together, I just may pontificate (love that word! :D ) JFTHOI, simply to annoy Eugene if nothing else.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby priya978 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:44 pm

[quote:920cebfdfb]Originally posted by operatenor:<BR>[b:920cebfdfb] simply to annoy Eugene if nothing else.[/b:920cebfdfb][/quote:920cebfdfb]<BR>OT, you'll make it nothing else.<BR> :D
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby priya978 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:50 pm

While I was listening to my Bernstein tapes I realized, I don't what took me so long to get this, but that there will never be another Bernstein. Never another Karajan. Never another Bohm. Never another Ormandy. Never another Reiner. Never another Szell. Etc. And most importantly, never another Bernstein. :( I'm on the verge of tears. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby EJA » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:25 pm

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the vocal folds serve a dual purpose? Saying that they weren't made for communication certainly seems outrageous and self-contradictory to me (especially if you say it out loud). You would also have an arguable point if you said that vocal folds weren't made for singing. I doubt the veracity of such a statement, but it is far less preposterous. I would argue that greater facility for singing can be developed, but the same can be said of running. Surely you are not going to say that legs weren't made for running? (I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you could a paper "documenting" that.)
– EJA

Reality: An important truth test
EJA
3rd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes