Bolero

Chat with other listeners of the Nicole Marie show here!
-- On the Air from 8 AM - 1 PM

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Bolero

Postby navneeth » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:51 am

treebeau wrote:You've heard the joke "What's Beethoven doing today?....DEcomposing."

This just came to mind.
"What's Ravel doing today?...unRAVELling."

I guess all these three go together. I got it from a thread in another forum...it was about some researchers suspecting the Ravel was suffering from Alzheimer's. All these lines were featured in the same post. Of course, instead of Beethoven, it was Ravel. And something about researchers unravelling Ravel. :mrgreen: But I first came across this decomposing-one thanks to our resident poet, Mr.Shapley. ;)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby treebeau » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:18 pm

Good. I didn't want to imply that I thought that joke up. I must have read it too, then forgot that I read it. So credit goes to the shapely one...shapley.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:47 pm

I just re-phrased it in the 'Rosemary Brown' thread. It's been around a long time. I think it was posted in the 'jokes' thread sometime before that, but I don't recall the author.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:17 pm

Shapley wrote:I just re-phrased it in the 'Rosemary Brown' thread. It's been around a long time. I think it was posted in the 'jokes' thread sometime before that, but I don't recall the author.

I remember reading, either here or some place else on the web, that it was part of Monty Python.

EDIT: Google comes up with a song called Decomposing Composers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decomposing_Composers

Edit2: That article also revealed to me that Michael Palin was part of MP! :shock:
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Shapley wrote:I just re-phrased it in the 'Rosemary Brown' thread.

IIRC, you included it in one of your 30Q limmericks/poems, long before the Rosemary Brown thread. I believe the decomposed composer was Bizet, then. :)

EDIT: Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2939&p=89820&hilit=decomposing#p89820

:D
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:56 pm

:oops: You're right. I had forgotten about that one. :)

I had also forgotten about the Monty Python skit. Beethoven.com used to play Decomposing Composers on the "Classical Comedy" segment quite often, way back in the days of Eric Michaels and Dan Maselli.

What fun, BTW! I had to go back and re-read that 30Q. I rather miss them. If things weren't so busy now, I'd have another go at one. Perhaps I'll give it a try in a month or so.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Re: Bolero's exception to the rule.

Postby Ghostman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:20 am

I hear that you either love Bolero, or you hate it.

Well, it don't love it, but certainly don't hate it.

the song reminds me of exercising. Sure, it's a long repeating process, but I somehow feel healthier afterwards for listening.

~Kevin
Ghostman
5th Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:25 am

Welcome to the bulletin board, Kevin!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Ghostman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:35 am

Catmando wrote:Welcome to the bulletin board, Kevin!

Thank you.
I'll do my best to write meaningful posts.
Ghostman
5th Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:04 am

Welcome to the BBB!!!

TM :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:44 pm

BTTP: for all y'all with Bolero issues.

I keep tellin' y'all that you'd enjoy Bolero if you'd only pay attention to the visuals, fer cryin' out loud. They rock! Particularly when there are snakey clarinets slinking around behind the tree where the mocking trumpets are perched. I wonder, do clarinets eat trumpet eggs?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Pecos » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:48 am

I like it.
Pecos
Section Player

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:28 am

Pecos,

Welcome to the BBB Pecos!!!

:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Pecos » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:34 am

Thanks for the welcome.
Pecos
Pecos
Section Player

Postby Shapley » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:02 am

Hello, Pecos. Welcome to the B.com BB!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby welcid » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:51 am

I was just listening to Ravel's Bolero done by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops. It was to my ears one of the worst performances of this iconoclastic piece. The tempo Kunzel used would have been better suited to a Rose Bowl marching band rather than a symphonic orchestra. Ravel must be spinning in his proverbial grave.

Just my humble 2 cents.
welcid
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:59 am

welcid wrote:I was just listening to Ravel's Bolero done by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops. It was to my ears one of the worst performances of this iconoclastic piece. The tempo Kunzel used would have been better suited to a Rose Bowl marching band rather than a symphonic orchestra. Ravel must be spinning in his proverbial grave.

Just my humble 2 cents.

I think most of us, on hearing Bolero, would just as soon get it over with. Perhaps Herr Kunzel was just feeling the same way.

Or he could simply have needed to fill a shorter time slot than the piece would normally occupy, and the programme director would not allow him to substitute a shorter piece. :)

I think Ravel probably spins in his grave whenever that piece is played.... 'Pinwheel Ravel', they call him in the netherword. No doubt he has been severely punished in the afterlife for imposing that piece on us, having been banished to that part of the netherworld reserved for rap artists and the inventor of the accordian...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby welcid » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:02 pm

Aur contraire, mon ami. If the possibility for admission to an upperworld was available via arts creativity, Ravel certainly would have been accepted based on his incredibly evocative, equisitely slow moving performance of his Bolero. For me, my audio taste buds (sorry for the mixed metaphor) are greatly stimulated when Bolero is performed at the slowest possible (and reasonable) rate. Ah, where is Stokowski today when he is needed?

I have close to two dozen different versions of this wonderful piece of music. It was the very first long play record of serious music I ever remember purchasing as a lad. Fifty plus years later, it remains in certainly the top five of my most favorite musical preferences.

So, once again, just my personal and additional 2 cents. I surely hope that most out there in Beethoven.com listening land do not disike, no less despise this piece.

Welcid
welcid
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Seems to me we did a poll, of sorts, at one time. I think it came up about 50/50.

Actually, I can take it or leave it. I have a couple of recordings of Bolero on Vinyl, but I don't think I have one on CD, unless it's one of those 'Greatest Classical Hits' or something. If I have one, I've certainly forgotten it. I would not have bought a CD for piece alone.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:41 pm

There are several pieces that I could leave this world without hearing agian. Borlero is one of them. Another is Gershwin's Cuban. Carnival of the Animals comes to mind as does Peter and the Wolf (narrated).

But, that is what makes for an interesting world...we all see and hear from within our own perception of the world. So, I guess it's all good...
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Nicole Marie