Bulletine Board features

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Bulletine Board features

Postby jamiebk » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:47 pm

I am no expert at these BB's and don't know where to go to get information on formatting and features of this particular board. So here are some questions/observations. Hopefully some of you more knowledgable folks can chime in. In addition to (hopefully) answering my questions, maybe we can use this thread to inform each other of new features that might not be readily apparent to some of us.

First off... for Chris... you guys do a great job and the BB update looks great, I know you are working on some bugs like the truncation on the right margin. It's nice to have the musical notes back as topic indicators. Looks like red means..."nothing new" while orange means that a new unread entry is there. It's a little hard to distinguish the difference in colors in some light situations.

Some questions:

When I go to the threads under the main topics, some of the activity indicators look like scrolling text while others are not moving. What does this mean?

Some have a red star on them. What does this mean?

On the main Board Index, it looks like some of the main topics (like Helping Hand) have blue text while others are black. Does this mean anything?

I am sure I'll see some other stuff as time goes on, but this is it for now. Thanks
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Re: Bulletine Board features

Postby navneeth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:26 pm

I'm almost sure about that first two.

jamiebk wrote:When I go to the threads under the main topics, some of the activity indicators look like scrolling text while others are not moving. What does this mean?

Unread posts inside.

Some have a red star on them. What does this mean?

Indicates that you have posted in that thread.

On the main Board Index, it looks like some of the main topics (like Helping Hand) have blue text while others are black. Does this mean anything?

New posts since last login. (There was one sub-forum, this one, with a red circle. I clicked on 'Mark Forums Read' and it became blue.)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:33 pm

Nav...thanks for the information. I am not sure about the first one(scrolling text). I think this may indicate the level of activity in that thread. (remember how the old musical notes used to have a flame on them when they were the most heavily posted. I think that the scrolling text indicates this, but I am not sure.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:36 pm

jamiebk wrote:Nav...thanks for the information. I am not sure about the first one(scrolling text). I think this may indicate the level of activity in that thread. (remember how the old musical notes used to have a flame on them when they were the most heavily posted. I think that the scrolling text indicates this, but I am not sure.

You're welcome, jamie. Now I'm just sure about the second one. :D I came to the forum after sometime, with unread posts only in this thread, and there were a couple of other (MULTI-page) threads which scrolling-thing next to them. I guess you're right.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:41 pm

The FAQ is your friend.
faq.php
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:53 pm

I read it, but it didn't have everything in there (or at least that I could find) that pertained to the questions I raised.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:06 pm

Sorry, I was thinking of another website.

That scrolling icon means a hot topic (lots of posts, i don't think it is time sensitive though.) The red star means you've posted in that topic.

BTW, I find that scroller to be very annoying. We will disable it on the forum that I administer.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Return to Helping Hand