Long Time Listener, Some Comments on Beethoven Radio...

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Long Time Listener, Some Comments on Beethoven Radio...

Postby DrSpock » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been listening to Beethoven Radio for many years now, and I'd like to share some comments I have about this great radio station. I love the selections Beethoven radio plays (except Bolero *shiver*) and the ads that the station comes up with are always original, clever, and usually pretty funny. More recently though I've noticed the ads are moving more towards advertiser-designed paragraphs that are rather boring and don't really catch your attention all too much.

One problem I have always felt however is with the webpage. Is it just me or does Beethoven radio's webpage get uglier and uglier with each new iteration? This new orange design is completely unintuitive and hideous on top of that. My favorite design was the one with the banner of classical instruments across the top of the screen, with the radio link clearly visible but not jumping out and slapping you across the face as it does now. Also, the new design practically hides the link for user submissions. This radio station is supposed to be run by user submissions right? The website really needs a major overhaul by a talented web designer, not a 10 year old working in Microsoft paint.

Another comment I'd like to make is with the "community" aspect of Beethoven radio. It's obvious they try to establish a community around the radio station as they spend a significant amount of airtime touting the Beethoven Bulletin Boards, however some of the other decisions seem questionable to me. Some DJs that were here for a long time seem to suddenly disappear (Dan Maseli) with no explanation, goodbye's, or any kind of official announcements, from my perspective at least as it doesn't happen on-air. This is very disjointing for something that is supposed to be a "community".

Lastly, what happened to the poll? The polls were always interesting, often funny, and they made visiting the webpage more interesting (not to mention people would spend more time at the website so your advertising links would probably get more hits). Bring back the poll already!

Well, I hope these comments have been interesting or helpful and I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about what I had to say.
DrSpock
Section Player

Re: Long Time Listener, Some Comments on Beethoven Radio...

Postby Shapley » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:53 pm

Hello, Dr. Spock, and welcome to the B.com BB!

I don't disagree with you on most of your comments. I think B.com tries hard to make the website interesting, but I'm not sure all of the changes have been for the better. Still, I give them an "E" for effort.

I, too, was wondering where the 'request' button went. I found it, but it is less than prominent. I usually send my requests by e-mail anyhow, since the 'request' button didn't seem always to work.

I don't mind the orange. It is eye-catching, IMHO. I'm glad to see that Chris has gotten the bulletin board up to speed, as well.

Keep listening, and posting.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:54 am

Welcome to the BBB, Dr. Spock! :D

It's great to hear from a long-time listener recently joining the bulletin board. I hope you'll continue to post, and of course listen! :)

I rather like the color and design of the Beethoven Radio site and bulletin board, although it does need some tweeking. Your comments are appreciated, as I find Nicole, Chris in IT and the rest of the Beethoven Radio crew are always ready and willing listeners to our comments.

I agree with you on the Poll question. I still miss it! I'd like to see it back on the main page in big bold letters! :flex:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:15 am

Am I the only one who finds the growth scammy ads on the radio to be disturbing? It's not just b.com, but terrestrial radio in general that has become the haven of charlatan self help gurus and bad financial products.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:52 am

Welcome to the Bulletin Board, DrSpock. :)

BigJon@Work wrote:Am I the only one who finds the growth scammy ads on the radio to be disturbing? It's not just b.com, but terrestrial radio in general that has become the haven of charlatan self help gurus and bad financial products.

We've come a long way from lime disease. Some of those "quick-money" ads are quite funny. (paraphrasing) You don't even have to know what you're selling...it's that simple. :rofl:
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:05 am

I find the one with the fake DJ saying "We'll get back to the show in a minute, but, Hey! did you hear about this..." rather disconcerting. I doubt many will fall for the premise, thinking it's an actual endorsement from the station (it borders on fraudulent, but I don't think it crosses the line).
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:14 am

DrSpock wrote:One problem I have always felt however is with the webpage. Is it just me or does Beethoven radio's webpage get uglier and uglier with each new iteration? This new orange design is completely unintuitive and hideous on top of that. .

Orange would not have been my first choice either, but it does stand out. The new design seems more of re-packaging than any change/enhancement of content

DrSpock wrote: Also, the new design practically hides the link for user submissions. This radio station is supposed to be run by user submissions right?

Huh? It's right on the main page under "Requests".

DrSpock wrote: The website really needs a major overhaul by a talented web designer, not a 10 year old working in Microsoft paint.

There are probably better ways to advance your arguement than by belittling or name-calling

DrSpock wrote: Another comment I'd like to make is with the "community" aspect of Beethoven radio. It's obvious they try to establish a community around the radio station as they spend a significant amount of airtime touting the Beethoven Bulletin Boards, however some of the other decisions seem questionable to me. Some DJs that were here for a long time seem to suddenly disappear (Dan Maseli) with no explanation, goodbye's, or any kind of official announcements, from my perspective at least as it doesn't happen on-air. This is very disjointing for something that is supposed to be a "community". .

DJ's can leave for various reasons. I suppose there could be legal or competitive issues involved with some of them that may preclude B.com from commenting on the change. But I agree, some of these folks become a part of our day and as listeners we are interested in the personalties.

DrSpock wrote:Lastly, what happened to the poll? The polls were always interesting, often funny, and they made visiting the webpage more interesting (not to mention people would spend more time at the website so your advertising links would probably get more hits). Bring back the poll already! .

I always enjoyed the poll too.

DrSpock wrote:Well, I hope these comments have been interesting or helpful and I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about what I had to say.

Glad you signed up for the BB. I think the B.com staff always welcomes constructive comments. As you can tell from many of the BBB entries, most of the "regulars" are always ready and happy to share their POV.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:20 pm

Hi, Doc, and welcome to the pit.

In my experience listening to radio, DJs come and go with very little fanfare. Beethoven is better than most in this regard, at least as far as I can tell. I remember several DJs simply disappearing from radio stations over the years, and usually Beethoven has an announcement (although if you miss it, too durn bad).

I have noted my issues with the new BBB format in the "help" forum. The higher your screen resolution, the easier it is for those little 10x10 icons to simply vanish, and I really do miss the topic name on the most recent post mark on the main index. I understand regular tweaking, but major redesign just because it's available always is disconcerting. This isn't the only BB I use that has lost usability with their latest upgrade (not to mention the one before).
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:44 pm

Shapley wrote:I find the one with the fake DJ saying "We'll get back to the show in a minute, but, Hey! did you hear about this..." rather disconcerting. I doubt many will fall for the premise, thinking it's an actual endorsement from the station (it borders on fraudulent, but I don't think it crosses the line).

I totally agree. It's so obviously not one of "our" DJs that I find it just plain annoying.

I'm also vaguely annoyed by the restaurant ad that talks about you being, "nostalgic at this time of year?" - I think it's been running since last November. In August I remember thinking - nostalgic? about what? They did have another ad for a while, but are back to this one.

Can't complain too much about ads - have to get revenue somewhere and I doubt they can be too picky about it. I usually just take off my headphones (I listen at work) when the ads come on.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:00 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:I'm also vaguely annoyed by the restaurant ad that talks about you being, "nostalgic at this time of year?"

I'm assuming the tune the ad plays along with the "nostalgic at this time of the year" was for a Christmas seaon commercial. :roll:

Perhaps the restaurant needs to make an alternative ad for when it's not Christmas season.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm also vaguely annoyed by the restaurant ad that talks about you being, "nostalgic at this time of year?" - I think it's been running since last November. In August I remember thinking - nostalgic? about what? They did have another ad for a while, but are back to this one.

I particularly like the bit about being nostalgic "Particularly for things that don't seem to be around anymore." Why would you be nostalgic for things that are still around?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:16 pm

There are at least two ads for the "free" CD telling you how to make big bucks on the Internet. The one read by the male sounds just like a lot of the spam I get reads - it's clearly trash. The one read by the woman almost seems reasonable.

As much as I love beethoven radio, I'm not going to give that advertiser my phone number or address.

I still don't know why advertisers like GM and Pepsi don't recognize the world-wide coverage you guys have. It seems like they would be a lot more interested in your delivery system than would Mystic Seaport and their grandchild memories. Any bets as to whether dai bread or navneeth ever visit Mystic with their grandchildren?
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:40 pm

And there's the clothing merchant who's still talking about your spring wardrobe.. :rofl:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:49 pm

barfle wrote:...I still don't know why advertisers like GM and Pepsi don't recognize the world-wide coverage you guys have. It seems like they would be a lot more interested in your delivery system than would Mystic Seaport and their grandchild memories. Any bets as to whether dai bread or navneeth ever visit Mystic with their grandchildren?

Indeed. Then at least I could listen to BR with a clear conscience. As it is, I'm always aware that I cost them money. From what NM says, they can ill afford it, so I don't listen much at all.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:14 am

What a coincidence, I'll be going to Mystic this weekend after exploring the link at the top of the Beethoven screen.

I'll be staying at a hotel overlooking the harbor at the top of a hill and I'll be able to see Long Island in the distance. HEY TM! I'll be wondering where you are....could you drive to the end of the island and play your trumpet at precisely 6PM? Maybe I can rent some bagpipes or an accordion to answer you. :oops:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:46 am

Serenity wrote:What a coincidence, I'll be going to Mystic this weekend after exploring the link at the top of the Beethoven screen.

I'll be staying at a hotel overlooking the harbor at the top of a hill and I'll be able to see Long Island in the distance. HEY TM! I'll be wondering where you are....could you drive to the end of the island and play your trumpet at precisely 6PM? Maybe I can rent some bagpipes or an accordion to answer you. :oops:

Serenity,

Have a GREAT time!

I live on the South Shore of Long Island, but one of my rehearsals is on the North Shore!
What day??? I'll play some hi C's..... Not sure if Bagpipes will project :wink:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:44 am

Dai, you could always send them a check :)
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby DrSpock » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:15 pm

There are probably better ways to advance your arguement than by belittling or name-calling.

I actually intended the comment to be humorous, not insulting. I think humor is a better way to get the message across that I think the new design is ugly rather than simply whining about it.
DrSpock
Section Player

Return to Musical Notes