The PW Camp

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: This is the Thread

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:35 pm

Yes, but then doesn't the platypus seem outrageous and preposterous? :D<BR>The dual-purpose theory has the ring of logic to it and is comfortable, but that's not what the men in the lab coats taught me. <BR>Okay, I'll dig up some stuff (legit, not far-fetched, mind you), that supports what I've learned. Or not, we'll see. Jennifer (Audiogirl) probably is more the authoritarian on this than I, and I would dearly love to know if the venerable Mssrs. Shos and Haggis, et al, have any thoughts or knowledge concerning this. :cool:<BR>[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby dai bread » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:47 pm

Four cheers for bignaf! I hate "updates". Prithee sirrah, shouldst I pen this note in Elizabethan English thou wouldst think me a right charlie, wouldst thou not? Yet we're expected to swallow modern people talking and singing in this way! If you want to update, then you rewite the script and where necessary the music as well, and make a new production of it like "West Side Story".
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:01 pm

and have you tried honey and ginger icecream? The gods can keep their nectar!
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:43 pm

I haven't heard of that flavor, sounds wonderful and would love to try it. Say, how about sending some over? ;)
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby vophelia » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:21 pm

Thanks for the nice welcome! Eugene, I agree with you about LB, I was watching that documentary, and so sad he's with us no more. <BR>And for the person who said I probably never took voice---I actually did for 3 years! (But I guess that's not long enough, eh??) :)
vophelia
5th Chair

Postby bignaf » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:04 pm

OT,<BR>you really didn't unerstand what I meant.<BR>I didn't mean it is easy to sing I mean it is the most natural way to express yourself in music. like a bird they usually don't start playing a flute. a baby cries using the unnatural process of vibrating the vocal cords. therefore the most natural way is singing. it is not easy to maintain accurate pitch etc. I don't know about you but when I sing I produce the desired musical effect by imitating the sound in my head. the physical process of producing sound may be complicated but the mental process (for me) is not. maybe professional singers think about all the factors I let my body do it. maybe that is why i sing so badly...<BR>don't worry about being technical with me. I'm a musician with a good knowledge of anatomy and acoustics. anything theoretical is fine with me.<BR>point is if it is something a bird can do itm ust be pretty natural.<BR>by natural I mean spontenous (#### sp?).<BR>[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: bignaf ]
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:07 pm

[quote:920cebfdfb]Originally posted by EJA:<BR>[b:920cebfdfb]Well, I just have to expostulate here. OT, do you really want to say that the larynx pharynx was designed as a valve for the lungs? Come on! It was designed for making noise and communication. Where do you get that nonsense? "Inherently unnatural . . ." Indeed! Next thing we know, you're going to be saying that walking and eating are unnatural.[/b:920cebfdfb][/quote:920cebfdfb]<BR>ahh<BR>trying to say that.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:55 am

OT, it will be a long wait for my post on performing matters. I whistle, but otherwise have no musical talent.<BR>Venerable Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:02 am

Oh no! The artillery barrage! Must....dodge.....the missles.....the shells are falling around me now......I'm hit! Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! :)<BR>Oh, and another thing: I really appreciate all you folks putting up with my diatribes and voluminous postings. I enjoy these discussions a lot and want to learn all I can from you (well, maybe not HR. just kidding).<BR>At this point I'd start yammering about an ice cream headache, but Haggis already owns that spiel.... :D<BR>[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: operatenor ]
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby DavidEB310 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:12 am

Back to Ice Cream --<BR>BREYER's all natural -- Banana Chunk Fudge --mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...<BR>Or, Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream...<BR>or JIF Peanut Butter on a Spoon covered with Hershey's Syrup...<BR>Or...Fresh Bananas covered with JIF and Honey and Hershey's Syrup...<BR>Or anything with Peanut Butter and Chocolate!!!
DavidEB310
4th Chair

Postby haggis » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:15 pm

The best complex taste sensation that I can suggest here without providing recipes is this:<BR>Rich, dark chocolate cake (or pudding) with Cabernet Sauvignon; Indescribable
Haggis

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
haggis
2nd Chair

Location: warm, humid, and wonderfully sticky Dallas, Texas!!

Postby priya978 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:25 pm

I am not sensitive OT. You hurt my feelings, now I'm crying. ;)<BR>I didn't know that you didn't play an instrument Shos. :cool:<BR>[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: eugene a. ]
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:38 pm

OT,<BR>not saying it is easy to sing I have to take chorus in school and i struggle so miserably I know it's tough. I say it's natural, other instruments are more external. piano is definitely the easiest, take any melody and it is easiest for someone with equal experience with all instruments to perform it on the piano. of course the toughest pieces on piano are tougher then most of the thoughest pieces of other instruments.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:01 pm

HELP!!!!<BR>check out the poll on the entrance page. London #### symphony is leading!!! vote for VPO!!! emergency call to arms!!!
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby haggis » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:25 pm

Re: LSO vs VPO. In my mood, and I suspect the mood of other, I'm not a big fan of ANYTHING European right now other than British!<BR>Quite frankly, I'm rather aghast the BBC SO wasn't in the list. Hands down the best in my humble yet frighteningly prescient and usually accurate opinion.
Haggis

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
haggis
2nd Chair

Location: warm, humid, and wonderfully sticky Dallas, Texas!!

Postby bignaf » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:27 pm

what did I miss? why is Europe bad?<BR>i judge only by the music, I don't know what your other considerations are. :confused:
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby bignaf » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:57 pm

I see the British have their own special considerations in music.<BR>--------------------<BR>UK UNION DEBATES BAN ON ISRAELI ARTISTS <BR>The ban could affect such artists as conductor Zubin Mehta <BR> <BR><BR>The British Musicians Union planned on Monday to debate a resolution that would ban Israeli musicians from performing in the UK.<BR><BR>As proposed, the resolution would ban Israeli musicians from performing in the UK - and their British counterparts from performing in Israel - until Israel withdraws from the West Band [sic] and Gaza. The ban would affect all Israeli musicians, including such high profile artists as Daniel Barenboim and Zubin Mehta.<BR><BR>Yossi Tal-Gan, director of the Israel Festival, told the Jerusalem Post that: "The mere fact that such an issue is proposed for debate by the British Musicians Union contravenes the fundamental spirit of art and music,"<BR> <BR>21 January 2003 — RW Deutsch, news editor <BR> <BR> ------------------<BR>as if all Israeli musicians go out to kill Palestinians in their spare time. <BR>if I judged music by extramusical considerations British music would be the first to go. (well, it is also the first to go with musical considerations so there's no difference).
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby priya978 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:04 am

Zubin, and Daniel!! :eek: <BR>If I was living there I don't think I could take it, but then they still have their cds, right?
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby priya978 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:15 am

How about American Orchestras next on the poll. Too many great ones to choose from in Europe. But I was triumphant and chose, much to my disappointment. :(<BR><BR>[ 01-22-2003: Message edited by: eugene a. ]<BR>[b:920cebfdfb]This is my 300th post!!!!!![/b:920cebfdfb] :D :D :D :D :D :D :D<BR>[ 01-22-2003: Message edited by: eugene a. ]
priya978
3rd Chair

Postby DavidEB310 » Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:18 am

Actually,<BR>Oreos dipped in Merlot makes for an exquisite taste sensation -- discovered by me after dinner back in 1996! ;)
DavidEB310
4th Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes