Pet Pals

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Pet Pals

Postby Catmando » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:22 pm

Here's the thread for those who have pets and wish to talk about them. :)

Our family (me, fiancee and her son) consolidated cats (1 male 15 yrs old, 2 females about 5 and 6 yrs old) when we moved in together last December.

Since we recently moved into our house, we've had two new additions to our pet family:

Baby leopard gecko for 8 year old Owen - (man do these things grow fast!)

and on the weekend, our beloved female pug puppy (7 weeks old and weighing in just under 3 lbs). The cutest thing I've ever seen in my life! She's a handful and alot of work. :shock:
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:55 pm

This topic has been done once before, a long time ago.

I have only 1 "pet"...a cast iron Scottish Terrier door stop. He is pretty good at "STAY!" and lousy at "Here boy!" I love cats but don't feel like owning one (or having one own me) at this time.

Regards,
Tim B.

P.S. A long time ago I read that having a Gecko in one's house is considered lucky. Supposedly, if you allow it to roam free you may never see it again, but will hear it (they actually say "GECK---OOOOO!") and the big plus is that they reduce any other buggy critters that may be lurking. Third worlders want them to minimize the cockroach. I prefer Combat traps placed around behind furniture.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:20 pm

treebeau wrote:This topic has been done once before, a long time ago.

I apologize for this. I would love for the thread I just started to be blended in with the old thread. Sorry for not looking more closely.
Catmando
1st Chair

Re: Pet Pals

Postby Catmando » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:30 pm

I've made "the call", one that has me very sad. :cry:

My cat, "Minou", is being put to sleep on Friday afternoon. He's almost 15 years old.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:44 pm

Catmando,

I am so sorry to hear that you must put your cat down. We've always had cats (and now a dog as well). They are so much a part of us and each one, no matter how many one has over the years, is unique and dear. (even if they do claw the furniture) I hope your pet is not in pain and the passing will be peaceful for both of you.

My condolences
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:52 pm

Sorry to hear it. We've never had a cat last nearly that long. Our oldest, Mama Ugly, is probably about six years old. She is the only second generation cat we have left from the offspring of our original three kittens. The remainder are third and fourth generation, or the offspring of strays. I only measure generations by the mothers side, as it is often difficult or impossible to identify the father. The only exception is Piglet, whose father is a stray we've named Pig because of his uncanny resemblance to a swine. Piglet looks so much like him that it is nearly impossible for him to be the offspring of any other. Although, due to his rather pungent odor, it is possible that his father was a polecat...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:12 pm

We had a dog until Tuesday last week. He was a cute little pekinese/jack russell cross, with maybe something else as well. He came to us a a puppy about 6 months old, picked up by my youngest from a friend who was moving to Australia & didn't want to pay quarantine fees on 2 dogs.

The little dog gave us excellent company for 16 years. He proved to be a good watchdog, too, scaring off at least 2 intruders from neighbouring properties. He eventually developed arthritis, which slowed him down drastically, and he suffered a very steep decline in his last two weeks. So after a night of constant barking, whimpering and crying, and sometimes all 3 at once, it was clear it was time for the vet. (His timing was off. If he'd started 6 hours earlier, I'd have taken him to the vet then.)

He is buried under our jacaranda tree, and I have made a little plaque to commemorate him. It is screwed to the tree. :cry:
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:53 pm

Dai...that's tragic and I am sorry for your loss. There is a lot of this going around lately. Our close friends just found their dog of 5 years cowering under their deck. Wayne (buddy) had to pull the deck boards off to get her out. She was near comatose. They took her to the emergency vet who determined that she was in total organ failure after a long bout with diabetes. She had not looked good for awhile, but no one, including the regular vet caught it (hummm). Anyway, they ended up putting her down much to everyone's sadness.

It's so hard losing a dear pet and few people other than pet owners understand the relationship. Even some pet owners don't.

Anyway, my sympathies to you and your family. I hope someday when you are ready, you'll find another special pet to fill the void.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:03 am

Having just been throught this, I can sympathize with your pains. If it is any comfort, I will say that even two months removed from the event, some of the more painful memories have already started to turn golden, like the fall leaves.

May you all find comfort in your time of sorrow.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:03 am

Its hard. So sorry.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:03 pm

Cat, I'm very sympathetic to your loss. I had a good friend of the feline persuasion for about 18 years. One day I noticed that she had lost a lot of weight, and a trip to the vet discovered she was in advanced stages of cancer of the lungs and liver. She also had hypothyroid (hyper? I can't ever remember) that caused her to stay as active as if she had been healthy, and masked her illness from me and bar. I had a little time to get used to the idea, but when it happened, I was heartbroken.

Dai, I'm also saddened by your loss. Although we realize that we will almost certainly outlive our pets, it's still a loss when the inevitable happens.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:43 pm

Thanks for the kind thoughts, everybody.

It is indeed hard to lose an attachment you've had for years. Funnily enough, the biggest reminder for me has been the gate to the back yard. For 16 years I've had to make sure it's closed. Now it can be left open, but I still think it's wrong and I should shut it every time I go outside!
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:51 am

Catmando wrote:I've made "the call", one that has me very sad. :cry:

My cat, "Minou", is being put to sleep on Friday afternoon. He's almost 15 years old.

Cat,
I am so sorry.... Please go to the following web site...
TM

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:54 am

dai bread wrote:We had a dog until Tuesday last week. He was a cute little pekinese/jack russell cross, with maybe something else as well. He came to us a a puppy about 6 months old, picked up by my youngest from a friend who was moving to Australia & didn't want to pay quarantine fees on 2 dogs.

The little dog gave us excellent company for 16 years. He proved to be a good watchdog, too, scaring off at least 2 intruders from neighbouring properties. He eventually developed arthritis, which slowed him down drastically, and he suffered a very steep decline in his last two weeks. So after a night of constant barking, whimpering and crying, and sometimes all 3 at once, it was clear it was time for the vet. (His timing was off. If he'd started 6 hours earlier, I'd have taken him to the vet then.)

He is buried under our jacaranda tree, and I have made a little plaque to commemorate him. It is screwed to the tree. :cry:

Dai,
Please use this web site... I posted it for Cat also....
I have had to see one cat put down at the vet and the other die right in front of my eyes.
This site is inspriration to me.
TM

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:57 am

Condolences to everyone who loses their companions.
TM

Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:42 am

Dai,
I used to have to put my foot in front of the door when I came home from work, to keep my cat from getting out. (She'd been indoor/outdoor for the 1st 9 years but then we moved to a place where that wasnt safe). After 8 years, the foot was automatic because she knew the sound of my car engine and always greeted me at the door. I kept using that foot automatically for at least 6 months after she died. Eventually the habit goes, but it is a sharp little reminder each time. I like the idea of the plaque. Good one.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Return to Culture Connections