Your collection

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Your collection

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:02 pm

Cool site. I like this machine. How did you find out about the format? Were you aware of it when it was announced, or did you just stumble upon it? The usage of the film strip to get the base image was brilliant.

Do you have any other obscure formats?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:29 pm

I really don't remember how I first found out about them, but it was probably in a magazine like Popular Electronics or one of the other techy geeky publications I've had subscriptions to since I was 12. I know I kept my eyes open for one because it seemed so cool to me, but I never saw one in the stores, which is why I figure it never made it to them. And I did frequent the various high end stores (although I wouldn't have been able to afford a $750 toy at that time in my life).

As far as other obscure formats are concerned, I have three different quadraphonic decoders - SQ, QS, and CD-4. I also have a collection of laser disks, and one (count it) video CD (which is really an ad for video CDs - imagine an advertisement that you need to already have the product in order to see it).

When it comes to records, I have a variety of formats there as well - 78, 45, 33 and 16 rpm. I can't play anything bigger than 12", so I don't have any of those 18" transcription disks that radio stations used to use.

One more cool toy, which is actually another project at this point, is a 35mm slide to video scanner. I also read about the device (made by Nytone, which for some reason also makes bed-wetting alarms) in a magazine. I actually installed one as part of a job I did for the Port of Long Beach, and they thought it was pretty nifty, but I never got to take it home and play with it. I bought mine on eBay (after a couple of years of having a search out for it), and although it works, there's a meter that pegs itself so hard when a slide is showing that you can hear it go "ping." So I have a service manual, but it'll wait for the theatre to be built before I actually dig into the box.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:35 pm

Coming soon to Catmando's collection (ordered today):

Brahms - Piano Quintets (Yo-Yo Ma, Isaac Stern, Jamie Laredo, Emanuel Ax)

Golijov - Oceana - DG label

Prokofiev - Romeo & Juliet - Suites 1, 2 & 3 (Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra - Paavo Jarvi)

Bartok - String Quartets (Emerson String Quartet)

Haydn - Seven Last Words of Christ (Emerson String Quartet)

Book: Beethoven's Letters

and also.................

For my fiancee:

Pete Seeger - Folk Songs, Ballads & Banjo

Annie Lennox - Medusa
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:12 pm

Catmando wrote:Brahms - Piano Quintets (Yo-Yo Ma, Isaac Stern, Jamie Laredo, Emanuel Ax)

So who among them had a doppelganger? :D

The same group of artists has also made a CD with Beethoven and Schumann's works. I've heard that a few times.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:27 pm

navneeth wrote:
Catmando wrote:Brahms - Piano Quintets (Yo-Yo Ma, Isaac Stern, Jamie Laredo, Emanuel Ax)

So who among them had a doppelganger? :D

The same group of artists has also made a CD with Beethoven and Schumann's works. I've heard that a few times.

Hmm, good question. I have no idea.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:48 pm

Catmando wrote:...For my fiancee:

Pete Seeger - Folk Songs, Ballads & Banjo...

Get her some Weavers. Pete's better to listen to with the rest of the quartet pickin' and singin' along. And if she's into the genre, you can't go wrong with Yarrow, Stookey, and Travers. (Says the woman who can sing The Marvelous Toy) ((not necessarily well...))
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:56 am

I purchased Rene Gruss' Bellatrix CD. I'm not usually a fan of modern classical music, but I rather like the two selection Beethoven.com plays - Bellatrix and The Red Light.

I also bought I Solisti Veniti's Vivaldi: Concerti per Mandolini. I really like their performances of these works.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:19 am

Shapley wrote:I also bought I Solisti Veniti's Vivaldi: Concerti per Mandolini. I really like their performances of these works.

I should get some more Vivaldi in my collection also.

I did go to the used CD store and found a couple of great buys:

Mozart - Symphony No. 40 and No. 41 Jupiter - George Szell w/ Cleveland Symphony Orchestra (CBS Records label)

Schubert - Symphony No. 8 Unfinished and Symphony No. 9 The Great - Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmoniker (EMI Classics label)

Also, this is my 4th or 5th trip to the public library in the past month or so to peruse their classical music section. What a wonderful resource it's proven to be, and it's free! :D This weekend, I found:

Bax - String Quartets No. 1 and 2 - Maggini Quartet (Naxos Label)

Bartok - Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta, Sz.106; Concerto for Orchestra, Sz.116 - James Levine w/ Chicago Symphony Orchestra (DG label)
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:35 am

Still on a Vivaldi kick, so I've added a few selections:

I've listened to Hogwood and the Glorias so far. Both excellent (but I expect no less of Hogwood or of Vivaldi!). Looking forward to the Marriner.

I can never get enough of that mandolin!

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:37 am

Shapley wrote:I can never get enough of that mandolin!

Vivaldi, ya gotta give me more mandolin! I've got a fever, and the only prescription that will cure it, is more mandolin!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:42 am

too bad he didn't compose a Cowbell Concerto.

"I Gotta have more cowbell!" :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:43 am

Shapley wrote:too bad he didn't compose a Cowbell Concerto.

"I Gotta have more cowbell!" :D

I saw that cowbell skit again recently. My goodness it's hilarious! :rofl: I just love Will Ferrell!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:34 am

I picked these up last night:

William Boyce - 8 Symphonies

Robert Fayrfax - Missa Regali ex Progenie; Magnificqat

Chausson - Symphonie in B flat, Poeme

I haven't had a chance to listen to them, yet.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:37 am

I also see that The Lord of The Rings - The Return of the King - The Complete Recordings set will be released November 13. I'll have to pre-order it.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:54 am

Someone has been in a Baroque-Classical/Transition-Music kick for a few months. :D I've heard of William Boyce before, but not any of his music. Do let us know how the Boyce and Fayrfax CD's fared.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:23 pm

I'm not familiar with Boyce, either. I stumbled onto the CD while browsing through the CD's of Pierre Boulez. I listened to the available snippets using the store's headphones, and decided to risk it.

I'm only familiar with Chausson's Poeme, which I have on Akiko Suwanai's CD by that name.

I was not familiar with Fayrfax at all. I enjoy a variety of Masses, some chanted, some with full orchestra and chorus. The Fayrfax appears to be one of the former. I'll be interested in hearing it.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:59 am

I did get the chance to listen to the William Boyce symphonies last night, although my listening was interrupted several times, so it wasn't the best listening opportunity.

A couple of the symphonies were very enjoyable. All of them were pleasant, although not spectacularly so. I've never been disappointed by any of the CD's I've heard performed by the English Consort.

I'll give them another listening, probably this weekend. Hopefully without the interruptions.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:02 am

I see by the Music Log that my request for Chausson's Poeme made it on the air - but not until 8:00 last night. It was performed by Joshua Bell. I think have that Joshua Bell CD, but I had forgotten that Poeme was on it. It's a pleasant piece, and apparently is popular with violinists.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:09 am

Shapley wrote:... The Lord of The Rings - The Return of the King - The Complete Recordings ...

The devil made me do it. I couldn't help myself. I've got the complete Fellowship as well as the Return and I'll be playing them on my work computer, probably with earphones on so I can turn it up.

It's a very cool set. The little booklet has a lot of Howard Shore's explanations about which themes go with which characters, and identifies the tracks that introduce the themes, and why they are the way they are and how it ties into the character development of the different individuals and groups.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:22 am

I'm still waiting on mine. :mad:

I ordered through the local B & N instead of ordering it online, ignoring my own sage advice. :curse:

It's supposed to be in today. But then, it was supposed to be in yesterday, and last Friday, and last Thursday, and last Wednesday...

And the 'bricks and mortar' stores wonder why they lose market share to internet sales. :roll:

V/R
Shapley

P.S. It is an excellent set, isn't it? I've listened to the Fellowship set three times all the way through, and to the Two Towers set twice, not including the times I've plugged in the DVD and listened to it as 'background music' while I worked around the house (our television doesn't have that good of a sound system, so It's not really that good for 'serious listening'.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes