Music PWing

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Postby Catmando » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:15 am

Starting in April, I'm taking a 5 session music appreciation class called "Best of Friends - Brahms & Dvorak"
Catmando
1st Chair

Who Killed Beethoven?

Postby Shapley » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:24 am

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:17 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/althouse/1268313506/

Okay, I'll bite. What's "cell phone face"?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:30 am

Haggis@wk wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/althouse/1268313506/

Okay, I'll bite. What's "cell phone face"?

Sounds a bit like "tennis elbow" and "housemaid's knee". :?
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Re: Music PWing

Postby Catmando » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:05 am

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to catch some of the "All Dvorak" season opening concert for the New York Philharmonic, featuring Yo-Yo Ma performing the solo of the Dvorak Cello Concerto, and this was followed by Dvorak's 7th Symphony. Lorin Maazel conducting.

It was quite something to watch! Yo-Yo Ma was in a pool of sweat, even his eyeglasses had drops of sweat on them. He definitely poured everything into that performance.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:10 am

Catmando wrote:Yesterday, I was lucky enough to catch some of the "All Dvorak" season opening concert for the New York Philharmonic, featuring Yo-Yo Ma performing the solo of the Dvorak Cello Concerto, and this was followed by Dvorak's 7th Symphony. Lorin Maazel conducting.

It was quite something to watch! Yo-Yo Ma was in a pool of sweat, even his eyeglasses had drops of sweat on them. He definitely poured everything into that performance.

I was hoping that DW-World would telecast some programmes from Beethoven Fest 2007, but it seems they play the same four or five shows over and over again, here in Asia.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:13 am

What's with the 3rd movement from Brahms' 3rd? The rest of the 11 movements do almost nothing to me, but this one movement is so beautiful. Does anyone want to conspire with me and develop a hypothesis that he borrowed this from Dvorak? :D :wink: EDIT: Or better yet, Tchaikovsky! :crazy: PIT was a master at creating beautiful melodies, IMHO.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:28 am

navneeth wrote:What's with the 3rd movement from Brahms' 3rd? The rest of the 11 movements do almost nothing to me, but this one movement is so beautiful.

I'm not sure what to say about that Nav. Everyone has their favorite composers and composers whose music really "gets you". I think Brahms' has a multitude of wonderful, beautiful and powerful music scattered into all his 4 symphonies, concertos and his chamber music.

I agree that Tchaikovsky has created many wonderful melodies, although I'm not into PIT like you are. It's just a matter of what we both like. Different tastes.

I will say that I think Schubert was the "Master of Melody", over PIT. IMHO :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:39 am

And I think Rachmaninoff was the master of melodies...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:00 am

Catmando wrote:I will say that I think Schubert was the "Master of Melody", over PIT. IMHO :D

I've been on a Schubert-kick for the past few days. Chamber and solo-piano works.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:07 am

navneeth wrote:
Catmando wrote:I will say that I think Schubert was the "Master of Melody", over PIT. IMHO :D

I've been on a Schubert-kick for the past few days. Chamber and solo-piano works.

Try his Piano Trios, they are great. The 4-hands Fantasy in F minor that I got from the library was also fantastic!
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:22 am

Catmando wrote:
navneeth wrote:Try his Piano Trios, they are great. The 4-hands Fantasy in F minor that I got from the library was also fantastic!

I downloaded the Op.100 performed by Beaux Arts Trio from this year's Beethoven Fest. Yesterday, I listened to his octet. Nice work, almost an hour long.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:48 am

navneeth wrote:Yesterday, I listened to his octet. Nice work, almost an hour long.

I haven't yet heard Schubert's Octet. Is it an Octet for double string quartet, like Mendelssohn's, or does it include some winds and brass, like Beethoven's Septet? I will have to check it out, and request it on Beethoven.
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:50 am

Catmando wrote:I haven't yet heard Schubert's Octet. Is it an Octet for double string quartet, like Mendelssohn's, or does it include some winds and brass, like Beethoven's Septet? I will have to check it out, and request it on Beethoven.

It is for strings and winds. This CD has been on my wishlist ever since I heard Felix's octet and Ludwig's septet. Now that I've heard Franz's work, there's one more reason to buy it. :)
Last edited by navneeth on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Catmando » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:55 am

Hmm, I didn't realize Beethoven wrote an Octet?
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby Catmando » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:46 am

Does anyone know off hand if there are any "Music Clubs", in the same vein as "Book Clubs"?

I would love it if there was a small group of people I could gather with in my city, and we'd meet at Joe or Jill's place to discuss and listen to different classical works. :D
Catmando
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:55 am

:crazy: I WANT AN E-WATCH!!! :crazy:

:rofl:
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:34 am

Does anyone know off hand if there are any "Music Clubs", in the same vein as "Book Clubs"?

We kind of have one here, don't we?

It would be nice, though, to meet over coffee and discuss music face-to-face. I wonder how many classical music listeners I can find in the Cape Girardeau area to put together such a group. It's a neat idea.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:38 am

Shapley wrote:

It would be nice, though, to meet over coffee and discuss music face-to-face. I wonder how many classical music listeners I can find in the Cape Girardeau area to put together such a group. It's a neat idea.

V/R
Shapley

We should pick a city agreeable to everyone, make a LONG weekend.... and meet up!
I realize this would be difficult but...... it would be great to see people face-to-face!

Still trying for a San Diego trip... I want those ribs from Fat Ivors.... :mrgreen:

:D
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Catmando » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:40 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:
Shapley wrote:

V/R
Shapley

We should pick a city agreeable to everyone, make a LONG weekend.... and meet up!
I realize this would be difficult but...... it would be great to see people face-to-face!

Still trying for a San Diego trip... I want those ribs from Fat Ivors.... :mrgreen:

:D

I think we should all meet at Mystik Village. PARK THE CAR!!
Catmando
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes