Real Player Radio Pass connection

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Real Player Radio Pass connection

Postby CLarsen » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:30 am

Hi Ya'll,
There are a couple of things to try with Real. First, logout of your account and log back in. Just go to the HELP menu and select SIGN OUT (or if you're already signed out, SIGN IN). Then try launching the stream again. If that doesn't work, they did release a new version of their player recently so try downloading the latest version. You can go to their site or click on TOOLS and CHECK FOR UPDATE. Hopefully one of those will work. Thanks!
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby Shapley » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:34 am

T/M

I agree. I've made up my mind that, if it doesn't improve this week, I'll drop my subscription. I never have problems getting B.com on the WMP, so I don't see the justification for paying for the RadioPass. Beethoven.com is the only station I listen to.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:35 am

Thanks, Chris. I'll give it a try next time it gives me trouble (which, if past performance is an indication, will be this afternoon).
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:50 am

Chris,

Thanks... I will try that... If that does not work.. then I am sorry to say I will
have to cancel my subscription.

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:55 am

Chris,

That seems to have done the trick.
Did something get hosed up at the Real Player Platform that had to be cleared in
order for this to work?

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:03 pm

OK... Real Player threw me out of listening....
So I logged off... got a security message after attempting to log back in... :curse:

tried a second time to log back in and got the stream back....
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:32 pm

doing an overnight software deployment tonight..

tried real player and it will not let me in AT ALL.... :curse:

I clicked on the Free WMP and went right to music.... :mrgreen:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:12 pm

A question to all you "Real Player" users out there....is there some huge advantage to using real Player over WMP? I only get to listen to B.com at work through crappy little side speakers so I don't hear much difference. Everyone seems to struggle a lot with it (Real Player), I keep wondering why you persist and don't simply use WMP.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:24 pm

Theory is, the RealPlayer connection provides better sound, and pays B.com for the use of the stream. The WMP stream is free to us but B.com has these bandwidth-use charges which the Real folks help defray.

I also use the WMP stream because of cheezy speakers at work, attached to a computer I can't install Real (or anything else) on. From the long and consistent complaining of the Real users, I doubt I'd be using it if I could. It's too bad B.com doesn't have a PayPal or Amazon jar we could throw spare change into. I used the link to Amazon for my Amazon stuff, which I also hope sent a few pennies into the jar - where's the Amazon link in the redesign? Is it here? I can't find it. :sad:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:25 pm

Never mind, I found it. It's in the WMP Now Playing display! Hooray!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:11 pm

WMP Rules :flex:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:58 am

jamiebk wrote:A question to all you "Real Player" users out there....is there some huge advantage to using real Player over WMP? I only get to listen to B.com at work through crappy little side speakers so I don't hear much difference. Everyone seems to struggle a lot with it (Real Player), I keep wondering why you persist and don't simply use WMP.

Jamie,
I hear the difference between the 2 since bought these Bose headphones.
You also support B.com by having a Real Player subscription.

I still cannot get on through Real Player (even with C. Larsens suggestion about logging in and out)
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:43 am

I was finally able to get back on through Real Player.

Then music went dead.... just static...
tried it on WMP and also just static......
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby gshew » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:44 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Theory is, the RealPlayer connection provides better sound, and pays B.com for the use of the stream. The WMP stream is free to us but B.com has these bandwidth-use charges which the Real folks help defray.

I also use the WMP stream because of cheezy speakers at work, attached to a computer I can't install Real (or anything else) on. From the long and consistent complaining of the Real users, I doubt I'd be using it if I could. It's too bad B.com doesn't have a PayPal or Amazon jar we could throw spare change into. I used the link to Amazon for my Amazon stuff, which I also hope sent a few pennies into the jar - where's the Amazon link in the redesign? Is it here? I can't find it. :sad:

:banghead: After entirely too much frustration in trying to get a reliable RealPlayer connection, I've decide to cancel my subscription. The "free" WMP stream is always reliable. I'm saddened it's come to this, as I'd love to help B.com with my RealPlayer subscription.

I agree with Selma. If only B.com had a Paypal jar I could put money into to support this fabulous station. :idea: I for one, would be more than willing to put my former monthly Realplayer fee directly towards B.com (even double or triple that amount!) via a direct payment jar method. :)

Until then, I'll just keep clicking on the advertisers links on the site...
:wink:
Last edited by gshew on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dude abides...
gshew
5th Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:51 am

Y.R.H.,

Can B.com get out of it contractual agreements with Real Player
due to "Poor Quality" of service?

TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:40 am

Please...

I do not want to cancel my subscription but Real Player
just will not provide the b.com stream.

I logged off and back on and it is doing the same thing
after entering my login info... Looks like it is connecting but never does....

Please..... HELP
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:30 am

A question to all you "Real Player" users out there....is there some huge advantage to using real Player over WMP? I only get to listen to B.com at work through crappy little side speakers so I don't hear much difference. Everyone seems to struggle a lot with it (Real Player), I keep wondering why you persist and don't simply use WMP.

Sorry I didn't answer this earlier. I had to run up to Grand Rapids, MI Thursday afternoon, and returned Friday afternoon. Then I had to turn around and go back to St. Louis, Mo for the day Saturday. A lot of traveling.

Long ago, Beethoven.com was having trouble making ends meet. They had a limited number of streaming connections available to the WMP. They were concerned that listeners would not be able to log in if everybody who listened did so on the free stream, so they encouraged us to buy a RealPass connection, which would reduce the burden on the free stream and give them a source of revenue from Real.

Wanting to help support my favourite station, and afraid of being unable to listen on the stream, I bought a RealPass connection. It has a nice sound, when it works. Like the rest of you, I generally listen on computer speakers so the difference between the two streams is not noticable.

I keep the radio pass connection, although I am becoming less and less enchanted with it. I don't know if the pittance paid by Real to b.com for my listening is worth it, I think I'd rather just send B.com the cheque.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:07 am

there has to be a clause in the Service Level Agreement (SLA) regarding quality
and what to do when quality is an issue....
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:46 am

I still cannot get in using Real Player.
I sign out, re-sign on...
and all I get is the lower left part of the screen flashing
connecting..... beethoven.com connecting.... beethoven.com....

never connects....

I will give this till the end of the week before canceling my subscription.....

:curse:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:59 am

I listened all day yesterday on RealPlayer without a hitch. I clicked it on this morning, no problems.

Which version are you using? I have version 10.5.

Beethoven's 7th is starting up now!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Helping Hand