What is Religion??? and what is its Purpose???

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

What is Religion??? and what is its Purpose???

Postby BrainWaves » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:30 pm

Is religion a sleeping beauty inside of us, or, are we day dreaming???
What is its purpose???

BrainWaves
BrainWaves
5th Chair

Re: What is Religion??? and what is its Purpose???

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:11 pm

BrainWaves wrote:Is religion a sleeping beauty inside of us, or, are we day dreaming???
What is its purpose???

BrainWaves

Wow, man, profound, like, really profound..

Now let's turn to the sound of one hand clapping. Then, maybe that tree thing in the forest, I forget how it goes.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:18 pm

Religion seeks to explain those things that science cannot. Several threads on this board have dealt with it, either seriously or humourously, or both.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BrainWaves » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:07 pm

Answer; the purpose of organised religion is, for man and woman to be at war with one another, from life until death.
All the wars created by man, is, done over religion.
All the killings done by man, is done over religion.
Organised religion, will threatern you and I with hell, governments will threaten you and I with prison.
Such is life on earth, and the purpose of organised religion.

BrainWaves
BrainWaves
5th Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:45 am

Answer; the purpose of organised religion is, for man and woman to be at war with one another, from life until death.
Organised religion, will threatern you and I with hell, governments will threaten you and I with prison.

Not true. Most wars are fought over resources, or fought against oppression. I won't pretend to know the reason all killings are done, but I rather suspect resources play a large part in those as well. Most of the killings I read about here in America appear to be the result of domestic disputes, not religious ones.

Many religions do not even consider the existence of Hell. Judaism does not believe in Hell, nor does Confucianism, Buddhism, etc. I may be mistaken, but I believe that the majority of the world's religious people do not believe in Hell, or at least in Hell as a place of perpetual punishment. For many Hell, or Hades, or Sheol, or whatever it is to be called is simply a place where all souls go when they depart their mortal shells.

I, myself, prefer organized religion to disorganized religion.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:51 am

The Lord bless you and keep you
The Lord make his face to shine upon you
and be gracious unto you.
The Lord lift up his countenance upon you
and give you peace.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:51 am

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:The Lord bless you and keep you
and give you peace.

You don't fool me, you've been playing Civilization IV!!!!!!!!
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:10 am

Heavens to Murgatroyd! If we didnt have religion, how would we cuss?!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:28 pm

BrainWaves wrote:Answer; the purpose of organised religion is, for man and woman to be at war with one another, from life until death.

Wow, Brain, I wish I could live my life with such certitude about the motives of my fellow man, but I can't. Where do the madmen who make war (the Kaiser, the Fuhrer) fit into your neat, little package?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby BrainWaves » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:08 pm

Here are few questions for those who believe, that we as a race of populations around the world, can not leave without (a believe) or organised religious believes.
Can we as a human race, leave a peaceful existence without organised religious believes???
Can we as a race of responsible people, evolve in our spiritual evolution without organised religion???
If,if, religion is the key element for peace, where are the churches, and their gurus???
If, if, religion is the key element, to protect us from (evil) or others, why are we killing one another??? (look around).
If,if, religion is so important in our daily lives, where are those so called religious gurus, to stop the carnage that is going on around the world???
If, if, religion is the main hope for a better life, here and there, why are the governments (made up of peoples beleives, and the churches cooperating to sent their members to war???
Are the churches and governments one body politic???
How many churches are there around the world???? millions, are we better civilized people???, I can answer this one for you, (no).
Are we on a verge of a third world war??? answer is yes, who are these people???, the very same people, who goes to church, every sunday.
Who is creating the foreign policies and giving the orders for the blind to go to war against innocent people???, the very same people that goes to church every sunday.
Are we sleeping beauties, waiting for the prince to kiss us, or, have we been asleep for these many years, like a blind, follow the blind???
We have been asleep since birth, and we are in a state of sleep-walking.
Believes are believes, and we are creatures of believe, right is right, wrong is wrong, right is wrong, and wrong is right.

From Shapley; Religion seeks to explain that science can not; so does the occult, no need for religion.
From Shapley; Most wars are fought over resources or fought against oppression, same people that goes to church on sundays.

BrainWaves
Last edited by BrainWaves on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrainWaves
5th Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:38 pm

From Shapley; Religion seeks to explain that science can not; so does the occult, no need for religion.

The occult is a religion...

From Shapley; Most wars are fought over resources or fought against oppression, same people that goes to church on sundays.

Not necessarily, some do, some don't. Many go to church, or synagogue, or mosque, many do not. What does it matter?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:45 am

same people that goes to church on sundays.

I recall no war that America has fought that was a war of religion or conversion. None of the nations we've fought and defeated has been forced to change their beliefs. Japan remains primarily a Buddhist nation, as it was before the war, Germany and Italy are unchanged.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:52 am

BW, you're not looking for answers or enlightenment or a discussion. You're venting and looking for a fight. No go, buddy. You're also trying to present logical statements ungrammatically. This is, in English, not possible. If you can't construct a sentence you can't construct a valid argument.

If you can advance an actual position, there's probably somebody here who'll agree with you. So far, though, all we have is the adolescent tantrum about the imperfect world we've made. Nobody will take this seriously so I advise you to enjoy the sunrise and the music and catch your breath.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:57 am

SISE,

Right on sister!

BW, go to YouTube and post a "Chris Crocker-esque" video over what makes you unhappy. You may get the 15 minutes of fame you're seeking.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:35 am

BrainWaves wrote:Here are few questions for those who believe, that we as a race of populations around the world, can not leave without (a believe) or organised religious believes.
Can we as a human race, leave a peaceful existence without organised religious believes???
Can we as a race of responsible people, evolve in our spiritual evolution without organised religion???
If,if, religion is the key element for peace, where are the churches, and their gurus???
If, if, religion is the key element, to protect as from (evil) or others, why are we killing one another??? (look around).
If,if, religion is so important in our daily lives, where are those, so called religous gurus, to stop the carnage going on around the world???
If, if, religion is the main hope for a better life, here and there, why are the govermnets (made up of peoples beleives) and the churches cooperating to sent their members to war???
Are the churches and government one body politic???
How many churches are there around the world???? millions, are we better civilized people???, I can answer this one for you, (no).
Are we on a verge of a third world war??? answer is yes, who are these people that go to war???, the very same people, who goes to church,every sunday.
Who is creating the foreign policies and giving the orders for the blind to go to war against innocent people???, the very same people that goes to church every sunday.
Are we sleeping beauties, waiting for the prince to kiss us, or, have we been asleep for these many years, like a blind, follow the blind???
We have been asleep since birth, and we are in a state of sleep-walking.
Believes are believes, and we creatures of believe anything, right is right, wrong is wrong, right is wrong, and wrong is right.

BrainWaves

Dude....are you on drugs or what? You can't spell, your grammar is a mess, and your logic does not follow. I'll not even comment on the ludicrous multiple punctuation. Go back to the Matrix man...you'll be happier.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:47 am

Jamie,

RE:
Dude....are you on drugs or what? You can't spell, your grammar is a mess, and your logic does not follow. I'll not even comment on the ludicrous multiple punctuation. Go back to the Matrix man...you'll be happier.

Now, Now. Play nice.

I have made two assumptions from reading Brainwaves posts:

First) English is his second language. I won't fault him for poor grammar and punctuation if this is the case. Remember ratsnake? He had the opposit problem with punctuation - he didn't use it. You could, however, glean the meaning from his posts if you read them carefully.

Second) He is an angry young man. I would suggest he take two Beethoven symphonies and call me in the mornng.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong on one or both counts. He may turn out to be a ninety-year-old woman from the Bronx, but I still think he/she is angry about something, and he/she blames religion for his anger. Better to try to understand and correct his/her issues than send them into the world angry and alone.

Brainwaves:

Pull up a virtual Chair, have a virtual beer (assuming you're of legal age), and let us know what is troubling you. And please stop SHOUTING, and mind your punctuation. We probably have some virtual soda pop around if you're too young, or choose not to imbibe.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BrainWaves » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:28 pm

Well, I have allot of excellent admires out there who can not think for themselves.
Sigmund Freud once said that we were and are born neurotic.
The neurosis, is from hidden emotional believes about past and present fears and who we are.
Reason for the neurosis is because we were never given the birth manual of intructions to tell us how to think for ourselves.
We therefore became like sheep, amongs the wolves.

BrainWaves
BrainWaves
5th Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:41 pm

BrainWaves wrote:Well, I have allot of excellent admires out there who can not think for themselves.
Sigmund Freud once said that we were and are born neurotic.
The neurosis, is from hidden emotional believes about past and present fears and who we are.
Reason for the neurosis is because we were never given the birth manual of intructions to tell us how to think for ourselves.
We therefore became like sheep, amongs the wolves.

BrainWaves

So, have you adopted Freud's philosophy/belief or have you thought this up yourself? :crazy: :screwy:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:10 pm

Sometimes we quote others and use copy and paste too much...like sheep.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:32 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:The Lord bless you and keep you
and give you peace.

AMEN..... :grouphug:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Next

Return to The Debate Team