The Amero

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

The Amero

Postby jamiebk » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm

I have not seen this item posted here on the BB and thought this would be interesting to discuss. If you Google "Amero", you will get a lot of information. I really do not know what is true (or not) about the plan (so called) to replace American/Canadian/Mexican currency with the Amero, nor the political implications of the "North American Union". Obviously, there is a wide swing in views on that (if it is true). Seems strange that something this far reaching, if true, would not have received more attention. Would appreciate everyones views.

Here was an original site I was sent regarding this. I don't know this guy at all:
http://www.halturnershow.com/AmeroCoinArrives.html

Other references are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBo4E77ZXo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hiPrsc9g98
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=15017
http://www.amerocurrency.com/amero.html
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Re: The Amero

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:19 pm

I looked up Hal Turner In Wikipedia, and this is what I found.

Pat Buchanan's presidential campaign attracted some people that were to the so far to the right they were on the left.

I've not heard of the Amero, but I suspect it is a joke or a suggestion by some group that has been kicked out there for feedback, but not formally proposed. Nations on this side of the pond are rabidly nationalistic, so I don't see the idea catching on for some time. Perhaps after four years of president Hillary, the country will have moved so far left we'll be ready to accept it, or perhaps simple seek membership in the EU... :shock:

For now, I'll comfort myself in believing it is a joke.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:38 pm

Shapley wrote:I looked up Hal Turner In Wikipedia, and this is what I found.

Pat Buchanan's presidential campaign attracted some people that were to the so far to the right they were on the left.

I've not heard of the Amero, but I suspect it is a joke or a suggestion by some group that has been kicked out there for feedback, but not formally proposed. Nations on this side of the pond are rabidly nationalistic, so I don't see the idea catching on for some time. Perhaps after four years of president Hillary, the country will have moved so far left we'll be ready to accept it, or perhaps simple seek membership in the EU... :shock:

For now, I'll comfort myself in believing it is a joke.

I don't think it is a joke. Lou Dobbins spoke extensively about it in one of the vids...so did one of the monetary interviewees for CNN. It takes a fair amount of time to go through all the stuff I posted. I think there may be some kernals of truth in there somewhere.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:05 pm

Snopes re the Amero

Snopes says, as of 11-Sep-07, that the Amero was proposed by an professor of economics. No one cared. But some coin entity created a 'fantasy' line of Amero coins, for collectors, and things kinda went nuts from there.

Gotta love the Franklin Mint and its brothers-under-the-skin.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:46 pm

I read the Snopes areticle first. The Hal Turner Show disavowed that (see one of the web links for that) The actual coin was a spoof, but I think that the notion behind it was true....the creation of a North American Economic Union, ala "the Euro". Check out the comments by Lou Dobbins in one of the uTube interviews. He spoke a lot about it, as did a monetary reporter for CNN.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:53 pm

Would the Amero be kind of like NAFTA? But more so?

I'd like to impose US or Canadian clean-air and environmental law on our southern neighbors - those stinky trucks with Mexican plates give me a headache on the freeway. And we won't even talk about Tijuana's sewage system. Or Mexico City's smog problems.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:11 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:Would the Amero be kind of like NAFTA? But more so?

I'd like to impose US or Canadian clean-air and environmental law on our southern neighbors - those stinky trucks with Mexican plates give me a headache on the freeway. And we won't even talk about Tijuana's sewage system. Or Mexico City's smog problems.

Amen, Selma...
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:33 pm

The health of our neighbors’ economies is very important to ours. To help them along, I wouldn’t care if we had a pan-American currency as long as it didn’t come with a pan-American bureaucracy like the one in place in Belgium now. It’s unelected, and ultimately unaccountable to the citizens under its reign. However, I don’t see how you’d separate the two.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:51 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:The health of our neighbors’ economies is very important to ours. To help them along, I wouldn’t care if we had a pan-American currency as long as it didn’t come with a pan-American bureaucracy like the one in place in Belgium now. It’s unelected, and ultimately unaccountable to the citizens under its reign. However, I don’t see how you’d separate the two.

I was surprised to see this. The whole idea was debunked some time ago and seems to remain an issue only because someone stumbles onto the subject for the first time and assumes it's current.

I think the idea got sparked when the Euro got started. While an "Amero" would definitely benefit Mexico and (with the current exchange) Canada to a lesser extent, the U.S. dollar would suffer unacceptably.

It won't happen in our lifetimes.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team