SoCal in flames

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: SoCal in flames

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:16 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
BigJon@Work wrote:How about a battery back-up well pump attached to an external sprinkler system to keep the outside of the house wet?

What's a well?

Oh, that's right. Some parts of the country have a water table. That wouldn't be us.

OK, how about a large greywater holding tank, since I know rainwater storage cisterns are a futile effort there as well. :mrgreen:
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:51 pm

We seem to have troubling news down here. the prevailing winds have shifted from about the southeast to the southwest. With the advent of this, there were hopes the Harris fire in the south would blow back on itself, but it hasn't and seems to be steadily heading northwest(a straight line to my house, but it has a lot of huge obstacles to overcome before it got here - Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo are approximately on the same line).

The Witch fire, which is still zero contained, is now expanding northeast towards Palomar Mountain, which has been evacuated. From the mountain to Julian have all been evacuated.It is now following the course of the Cedar fire from 2003.

This is not good to the point we are going to get our stuff ready to move out on short notice. It is extremely unlikely anything bad will get to us, but if there is one lesson proven over and over again, it's to not take anything for granted.

If I don't post again for awhile, it will be because I'll be doing a naked rain dance in my back yard.

This site has the latest and most accurate information, plus a PDF map of the area, displaying fire and evacuation zones over a Thomas Guide page grid. It takes forever to download, but it's worth it.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Serenity » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:22 pm

OperaTenor wrote:If I don't post again for awhile, it will be because I'll be doing a naked rain dance in my back yard.

This site has the latest and most accurate information, plus a PDF map of the area, displaying fire and evacuation zones over a Thomas Guide page grid. It takes forever to download, but it's worth it.

Do you HAVE TO BE NAKED for the rain dance to work? I'd love to see that webcam! :crazy:
Good luck to everyone in Southern Cal! I should request the Backdraft soundtrack for 11AM to pump our firefighters up!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:45 pm

Serenity wrote:Do you HAVE TO BE NAKED for the rain dance to work?

According to the Rainmaking Field Guide, yes. It says so on page 212 in the footnotes.
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:08 am

Morning, y'all.
10-23-07, 7:38 p.m. According to CAL FIRE,
the Harris Fire is 72,000 acres and 10% contained, full containment is expected October 31st. The cost to date to fight the fire is $2,100,000. One additional civilian suffered burns and was treated and transported to a local hospital. A total of 21 civilians have been injured and one killed by this fire. There are 4500 people are or have been threatened and evacuated. Additional evacuations are being ordered. An estimated 200 to 500 homes have been destroyed or damaged. There are 1500 homes are or have been threatened. An additional 452 people are being assigned to the incident and are either in route or were with the initial attack and have not been released from the line to check in. The total personnel count is 1211.

The Witch Fire is 196,420 acres and 1 percent contained. Twelve firefighters have been injured on this fire and currently there are 1,492 firefighters assigned to this incident. The fire will continue to move west and southwest, threatening the communities of San Diego, Poway, Ramona, Escondido, Lakeside, Valley Center, San Marcos and Rancho Santa Fe. The fire has spread to the east threatening the communities of Julian and Pine Hills. Current efforts are working towards a more accurate fire perimeter size.

The Rice fire is 7,500 acres and 10% contained with full containment expected on October 28th, with full control expected Nov. 5th. One firefighter has been injured. At least 206 residences have been destroyed, two commercial properties, 40 outbuildings, 91 vehicles and 20,000 Avocado trees. There is active burning in the Rainbow Glen area and an evacuation of Deluz Canyon area.

The Poomacha Fire is 20,000 acres and 0% contained, there have been 10 injuries to firefighers, 218 firefighters are assigned to this incident. Fifty homes have been destroyed. The fire increased in size substantially due to extreme fire behavior, lack of resources and high winds. Some resources are beginning to arrive at the incident, but no significant perimeter control has been initiated due to structure protection priorities.

edite to add
CAMP PENDLETON FIRE UPDATE: The Horno Fire at Camp Pendleton has burned 6000 acres and is moving north

With no significant degree of containment, 2007 has now equalled 2003 in terms of acreage burned:72K + 196K +7.5K + 20K +6k= 300K. The 2003 Cedar fire burned 245K acres. Fortunately, 207 is still lagging behind in terms of numbers of lives & structures lost.
Lives - when i went to bed, i believe it was 5 deaths attributed to the fire (including one collapse by an evacuee at dinner).

Tho its still quite far away, this morning I can clearly see fireglow in the southeast (Harris fire).
The Horno fire has caused closure of interstate 5 thru Camp Pendelton due to smoke (low visibility).

And thats all just Sandy Eggo county. Orange County is burning, Riverside, and LA. No wonder no one can get the FL sugarcane growers to stop burning off their fields. They think its just a seasonal ritual for coastal states.

Trivia - on Monday, inland humidity was 8%. At the bay-surrounded airport, it was a towering 11%.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:48 am

The winds are expected to moderate significantly today, and the humidity to rise. The fires have definitely slowed down overnight. I was never in a "you might like to get ready" area, and while all 3 of my kids were, nobody got evacuated.

While the fire on Pendleton has I-5 closed through the base, I-15 is now open. The late news last night was giving actual dates on which the fire folks think they'll have the wretched things contained, controlled, and out. Optimists that they are, I hope they're right. And the various shelters have progressed from announcing specific requests for food, water, bedding, etc to asking for personal hygiene supplies. After a couple of days of camping out, people really really really want a toothbrush and some deodorant.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:51 am

You COULD resurrect the "third sock."

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:55 am

How are you San-D-Eggans doing out there?
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:56 am

I think all of us are OK, unless some of GC's family had problems. We could use a shipment of marshmallows, though, we're running short. :mrgreen:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:57 am

In the highly unlikely eventt we had to evacuate, we can go west.

Oh yeah, we live on the coast.....
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:59 am

Selma,
thanks.. it just does not look good when watching the evening news...
I can't imagine being displaced like that and losing everything....

my prayers are with all of you out there!

Regards,
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby bignaf » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:32 am

Are you all safe? is the fire still heading in your direction OT?
nice new board layout, and I miss you guys, I guess I should post again. I'm taking a important comprehensive test this fri. though, so I won't post until then.
bignaf
1st Chair

Postby Bones » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:42 am

I've been checking the board to see how you guys in SD are doing. I'm glad to see that it looks like you should be okay. From my limited knowledge of California geography, it appears that Fat Ivor's might be in a bit of trouble. If Fat Ivor's survives, the ribs will probably be a bit extra smokey.

Please keep posting, if it's convenient, to let the rest of us know how you're doing.

Our hopes and prayers are with you.
"I try to think, but nothing happens!" - Curly Howard
Bones
3rd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:49 am

Hello, Bignaf & Bones,

It's good to hear from you both. Glad to know you're checking in from time to time.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:22 am

Good luck to all SandyEggans and their families! My husband has a cousin with family in SandyEggo - haven't heard anything from them...will have to ask him to email them... Now that I think of it - a good friend's sister is in LA - should check in with her too...

To add to something Selma said a while ago - controlled burns are the way to go. And maybe some kind of control or sense of restraint in housing development. That's what's killing Atlanta - not enough infrastructure, including plans for enough water for all the people who've moved there. So we're left praying for rain for the SW and SE. I'm sure Texas would send you some of its surplus if it could. We've been in mild drought here since the summer, but have been getting more rain this month. Course, with an enormous lake right next to us, we don't worry too much about getting water...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:43 am

We've been dry most of the late summer, but have received an abundance of rain in the past week. Hopefully, it is moving towards Atlanta.

Sorry, SoCal. I'd send it to you if I could. We usually get our rain from Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, or occassionally from Louisana and Mississippi when the hurricanes are acting up. We usually send it Eastward when we're done with it. I tried to tag this last batch 'Special Delivery - Atlanta', but the tag got soggy and fell off...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:25 pm

treebeau wrote:You COULD resurrect the "third sock."

Regards,
Tim B.

Don't forget the FRS too!
:shock:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:42 pm

I think the folks from Fat Ivor's are elsewhere right now.
The evac areas show on maps as nice smooth contiguous areas, but in fact they are very patchy.
Neighborhoods north south and west may be evacuated but not the one you are in.
I suspect it has to do with access roads, and natural terrain.

The weather folks say its supposed to drop to the 70s by the weekend. That implies the wind dying down. Santa Ana's usually last 3 days, and this one should have run its course soon.
That should let the firemen get things corralled and eventually controlled.
Those dates Selma mentioned? Dates like Contained by the 1st and controlled by Nov 8. They dont expect this to end quickly.

Oh funny!
We're being asked not to wash ash into the storm drains.
Ok, for now, we should not be using much water, at least in fire areas, to keep pressure high.
But what does the waterboard suggest we do with the ash when all is said and done? Flush it? Bury it?
I can see washing the car on the lawn, however thats not a complete prevention of runoff.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:40 pm

piqaboo wrote:Oh funny!
We're being asked not to wash ash into the storm drains...

Is that to save water? I can see the point of not wasting water to hose off ash from the sidewalk. But where is ash supposed to go if not down? And is not the ocean all in the "down" direction from the land?

I'm left wondering if this is "natural" ash or "pollutant" ash. Perhaps we should sort the ashes before we dispose of them. :roll:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:01 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
piqaboo wrote:Oh funny!
We're being asked not to wash ash into the storm drains...

Is that to save water? I can see the point of not wasting water to hose off ash from the sidewalk. But where is ash supposed to go if not down? And is not the ocean all in the "down" direction from the land?

I'm left wondering if this is "natural" ash or "pollutant" ash. Perhaps we should sort the ashes before we dispose of them. :roll:

Wetted ash creates a very strong alkaline base. It is caustic and can cause burns. In fact, this is one way that lye is made (apply water to hardwood ash). Heavy concentrations can be very damaging. I am not sure if that is the rationale though.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections