Best wishes to everyone for a Happy Thanksgiving

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Best wishes to everyone for a Happy Thanksgiving

Postby jamiebk » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:05 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:There was a green bean casserole. Made with canned green beans. No, I did not make any derogatory comments and yes, I did eat some.

It's ever so much better with fresh (or even frozen) beans and real mushrooms.

It's only good with canned green beans (and Campell's mush. soup). Preferably Green Giant brand.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:45 pm

Fresh green beans, thoroughly cooked. Frozen in a pinch. Canned NEVER.
Canned cream of mushroom soup yes.
And of course, the can of fried onions.

Those who use fresh green beans must take care not to undercook them. This casserole is horrible "al dente".

For some reason I am now craving pasta alfredo.
1 lb pasta
1 stick butter (1/2 c)
1 cup parmesan, grated (real cheese, not the green can)
1 cup heavy cream.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:51 pm

Those thin sliced string beans are good in that cassrole. They sop up a lot of the cr. of mush. soup. Frozen beans seem to work OK if good fresh ones are not available
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:12 pm

In sympathy with her son who is allergic to poultry, my mother-in-law and husband made a beef stew for Thanksgiving. Pumpkin was not amused by this being prepped in daycare that Thanksgiving dinner is turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc. I probably should have realized this was going to happen and prepped Pumpkin for this...oh, well. He basically took one bite of meat and ate three rolls and a slice of pumpkin pie.

So, yesterday, when we had to do grocery shopping, I picked up a turkey back, gravy, and stuffing mix (plus a small steak for husband) - have some sweet potatoes at home already... so tomorrow, when I'll get home before the husband and kids, I'll whip up a little late Thanksgiving - not everything, and not all from scratch, but I really missed the traditional meal.... Just not sure how long to cook the turkey back - think it's less than 2 lbs....

Our Thanksgiving break was, as my husband the economist would say, suboptimal. Left a day late as Bella had a stomach bug starting Tuesday. She still wasn't over it Thursday, but hadn't puked in more than 24 hours.... At least we didn't have a lot of traffic to deal with on Thursday. Had to abort the trip on Friday to CT to see husband's grandma and aunts due to Bella puking in the car about 15 min down the road. I told everyone else (husband, his mom and her husband and Pumpkin) that they could drop me and Bella off at the hotel and they could go, but they weren't having it. Next morning the plan was to go up to Andover to see father-in-law and step-mom, but husband woke up early and was spending much time sitting on the toilet... So I took the kids up. When I called to see if he was better and I could take him to his mom's for dinner he said he was better, but mom was at the ER cause she couldn't stop vomiting. They sent her home around 5, but we caught dinner at the local mall. Traffic and a half hour stretch of screaming birthday girl (Bella turned 1) on the way home Sunday and we were pooped... maybe that's not the best word... At least our little Typhoid Mary didn't get the other set of grandparents sick, and I had a couple of bouts of nausea, but nothing came up, Pumpkin had a great time (other than disliking stew for TG dinner). Needless to say, not the best Thanksgiving ever...
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:36 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:There was a green bean casserole. Made with canned green beans. No, I did not make any derogatory comments and yes, I did eat some.

It's ever so much better with fresh (or even frozen) beans and real mushrooms.

I always add a tablespoon or so of Worchestershire (why isn't it spelled like it sounds?) sauce to the mix. Picked that up from a girlfriend during my dating days, which tells you how long they've been making Worchestershire sauce.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:17 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:...not the best Thanksgiving ever...

My most sincere condolences - sounds like you need a break to recover from the break! You might want to get a small turkey breast or thigh or a package of turkey cutlets to go with the back; poultry backs make fabulous stock but there isn't much meat on them. I agree with Pumpkin. Beef stew is not Thanksgiving. A nice rib roast might be Thanksgiving, but stew? Ew!

My usual rule of thumb with GI viruses was "three days with nobody sick" before I'd consider even a modest car trip. I understand that this was Thanksgiving and everyone had plans and all but I found that grandparents would accept the excuse that one kid had been throwing up and you didn't know who'd be throwing up tomorrow. Good thing about grandparents is, they've all done the parent schtick already. We remember.

Here's hoping everyone recovers quickly and the late, real Thanksgiving bird feast comes off well. :grouphug:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby analog » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:34 pm

piqaboo wrote: ..............

For some reason I am now craving pasta alfredo.
1 lb pasta
1 stick butter (1/2 c)
1 cup parmesan, grated (real cheese, not the green can)
1 cup heavy cream.
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Yes, yes!!!!
Fair Anne makes alfredo with shrimp . Fresh ingredients, as you said.

When boiling the shrimp toss in half a lime......key lime if available

That I do miss about Florida - taking the kids out shrimping winter nights.
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:44 pm

<timedly raises hand> Green bean casserole, yes.<lowers hand> It was delish! :crazy:
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:24 am

I've never been shrimping. It sounds like fun. I'd have to get over my ?silliness? about cleaning them tho. Unless OT were willing to do it all?
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:08 pm

piqaboo wrote:I've never been shrimping. It sounds like fun. I'd have to get over my ?silliness? about cleaning them tho. Unless OT were willing to do it all?

man, shrimping at night with a girl. What memories that stirs, it was better than being in a car with a date and "running out of gas."

Shrimping alone in a boat at night with Patty W*****e; water lapping at the hull, teenage hormones and a gazillion stars overhead and [MRHYN censored]..............[/MRHYN censored]inny dipping and then we stopped at Krispy Kreme for donuts and coffee on the way home
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:03 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:
piqaboo wrote:I've never been shrimping. It sounds like fun. I'd have to get over my ?silliness? about cleaning them tho. Unless OT were willing to do it all?

man, shrimping at night with a girl. What memories that stirs, it was better than being in a car with a date and "running out of gas."

Shrimping alone in a boat at night with Patty W*****e; water lapping at the hull, teenage hormones and a gazillion stars overhead and [MRHYN censored]..............[/MRHYN censored]inny dipping and then we stopped at Krispy Kreme for donuts and coffee on the way home

Doesn't sound like there was much shrimpin' going on..... :shock:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:56 am

We're starting our drive east tonight - going to go ~3 hours to Herkimer NY, then finish our trip to Worcester Wed am. Figure we'll miss the worst of the pre-TG Massachusetts traffic this way. Plus, less of a strain on the little ones. Probably a messy drive tonight - rain/snow - nothing we can't handle. And should drive out of snow into dryness and maybe even sunshine Wednesday. Looks like it'll be snowing all week in Rochester, but in Mass, it'll be in the low-mid 40s and dry every day except Friday! Woo hoo! Not as nice as my brother and family in Orlando, but a nice change.... we've had snow almost every day for the past week or so. Looking good for the traditional Thanksgiving day walk - burn off some calories before the big meal! Had husband request his mom make turkey after Pumpkin's disappointment last year over beef stew for Thanksgiving (husband is allergic to poultry, so she was trying to be nice to him, didn't realize that Pumpkin had been ingrained at daycare with what Thanksgiving dinner was 'supposed to be').

We'll be at mother-in-law's Wed and TG, father-in-law's on Friday, then down to Old Saybrook, CT to see husband's grandma on Saturday. Course, the sniffles and coughs returned to husband and kids in the last two days, so once again we're travelling sick. Nobody's feverish and all seem to have normal levels of energy, so no need to stay home. If we were going to my uncle's (the one who got the lung transplant), I'd call it off. I'm doing well now (think those supplements my chiropracter gives me actually work!), but will probably catch it with the enforced closeness... too bad it's not summer and I could have the car windows open. But nobody wants to get wet and snowy while driving...

So - Happy Thanksgiving to all our US posters!
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:59 am

And a very happy Thanksgiving to you, as well! Image
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:55 pm

Oh my. We're having ribs for Thanksgiving, and I know Altoid also expects turkey. Might have to make a 'baby' turkey (roast chicken) later in the weekend.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:04 pm

I'll be off line over T-giving so let me wish all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving...hopefully you will all and each be with loved ones to share the holiday meal.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:42 am

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Since I'll probably not post again between now and then, Happy Thanksgiving, all!
May the company be pleasant, the food tasty, and the indigestion mild.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:19 am

And a very happy Thanksgivning to everyone from my family and me, as well!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:26 am

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!
Enjoy Turkey day :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:02 am

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections