WTMI broadcast range

Let's talk radio! What's happening in your city? Who's got the hot new formats and how do you get YOUR classical music? Program directors will read this and your voice will be heard. Get Radio-Active here.

Moderators: Nicole Marie, ScottB

WTMI broadcast range

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:02 pm

Hey - can I find out the range of the Beethoven broadcast in CT? I'll be driving from Worcester, MA to Old Saybrook, CT on Friday - would love to see if I could pick up some B.com in the car. Since 'music hath charms to soothe the savage beast', I'd like to see what it can do for a 4-year old and his almost 1-year old sister on an hour and a half drive. :wink:
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Re: WTMI broadcast range

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:01 pm

I hope you are driving through during the day.

BTW, HRH has been know to take listeners on station tours . . .
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:18 pm

Thanks BigJohn - I knew there was another thread about this, but couldn't find it. Looks like we'll pass too far east to catch it friday (going down 395), but might catch wed and Sun on the Mass pike by Springfield. I'll let y'all know if we catch it.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby ai4i » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:45 pm

Get an HD radio in your car, tune to 106.9-HD2, and listen to the station as such.
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:28 pm

Could not catch it on the Mass Pike through Springfield - tried both ways...though we did go out on Thursday and not Wednesday (see the Thanksgiving thread in culture connections for the full story)...don't know if the power was less...

Someday HD radio....someday...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby ai4i » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:Someday HD radio....someday...

For the traveler, many NPR stations are now offering a classical music service on their HD2 streams such as Classical 24 and a few commercial stations run the nationally syndicated Classica on theirs.
Last edited by ai4i on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks - will have to keep that in mind. Anything to keep my husband from hauling that case of CDs on every trip. though doing the ipod thing might solve that problem - I assume you can upload your CDs onto one. We're really lagging on the technology front - still have my original (now 5 year old) basic model cell phone, no laptop, no digital camera, no ipod...doing a disservice to Gen X...did get the portable DVD - very helpful for long car trips with 3 year olds. Actually, Pumpkin only watched one movie on the way back from TG...amazing.
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:18 am

Happy trails to you! You will not be able to catch the AM 1290 signal in Mass. You can really only get it in the Hartford area to Farmington Valley to Vernon. Some folks can catch it in Litchfield country but Mass is too far away. But yes, if you do have an HD radio in you car you can click to 106.9 FM 2 as ai4i posted in the map and the HD signal is large and you can catch it in most areas of CT and lower Mass.
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:20 am

Schmeelkie wrote:Anything to keep my husband from hauling that case of CDs on every trip. though doing the ipod thing might solve that problem - I assume you can upload your CDs onto one.

Schmeelkie...you (and you husband) will LOVE the iPod! The 4 gig version can hold 1000 "songs". If you load long classical pieces, this is reduced of course, in terms of numbers of songs, but not in terms of the amount of music it holds. I think I have 50 hours or more of music loaded on mine. You can also store some pictures (though the screen is pretty small for viewing) and even contact information from your "Outlook" address book. iPod is so small and convenient compared to lugging around those CD's. I even take it on my ultralight backpacking trips (with a small solar charger)
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:37 am

I am reading about people complaining of the inconvenience of traveling with CDs.....
I am stunned! :banghead: in stunned amusement.
I remember when... records and the radio were the options. And tho not young, I aint old neither.

Its fascinating how far how fast technology for music replay has come. iPods are a delight (except for the sight of the earbud wires hanging down alla time). I need to choose one for OT for his bday. Any recommendations which of the many models would be best?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:52 am

Did you ever see in-car record players? They were offered briefly in the 50s.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby ai4i » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:44 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:Did you ever see in-car record players?
They were offered briefly in the 50s.
I think the original "Motorola" was named after the popularity of the "victrola" and was also a car-mounted "record player".
"Also Sprach Ai4i"
ai4i
4th Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:00 pm

piqaboo wrote:I need to choose one for OT for his bday. Any recommendations which of the many models would be best?

I have one similar to this. The auction is already over, but the seller seems to have plenty of stock.

A couple of years ago, I paid about $50 for mine, and it's only 1GB. But I'm glad I didn't wait.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Return to Radio-Active