Your collection

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Your collection

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:43 am

Shapley wrote:I'm still waiting on mine...And the 'bricks and mortar' stores wonder why they lose market share to internet sales...

I ordered last Wednesday, sometime after dinner. The box was awaiting me on my doorstep yesterday afternoon. And :oops: I don't have Return, I have Two Towers as well as Fellowship. Third set not out yet. Between them, Amazon and UPS give me better selection and service than many stores would, and I don't have to find parking.

Have I mentioned, I love the Internet. :mrgreen:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:59 am

Return was supposedly released last Tuesday. Originally, it was supposed to be released the Tuesday before. I've not spoken to anyone who ordered the set online, so it could be that that shipping there has been delayed as well, but the local store says they're having problems with receiving it because it comes from the main B & N warehouse, not from the local warehouse. It could be a distribution problem from the manufacturer, or it could be that B & N doesn't have enough on hand to fill all orders, for whatever reason. Or it could be that they're just slow.

I've ordered through the local B & N before, and found that it is usually slower than ordering online. Apparently orders to the store have to go from warehouse to warehouse before arriving at the store, usually on a Tuesday, whereas online orders ship direct from main warehouse (or from manufacturer) to home, without the middlemen.

I don't mind the trip to the local store, I'm usually there several times a week anyway. They have a Starbucks inside, and it's fun to browse. It's also a popular place with lots of folks I know, so it's a good place to see old friends. I generally have lunch nearby, so I can pop in on my lunch hour, grab a cuppa, and check to see if my CD has arrived.

I think online shopping has it beat. It is usually faster, is often cheaper, and is much more convenient. however, I tried to do my part for the local economy, and I get repaid with a longer wait, higher price, and a bit of aggravation. No good deed goes unpunished.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:33 am

Yesterday, after waiting two weeks from the release date, I finally cancelled my order for Return of the King: The Complete Recordings from the local B&N and ordered it online from their website. It shipped this morning.

I should have ordered online two weeks ago. :mad:

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:25 pm

According to the tracking info, my copy of Return of the King: The Complete Recordings should arrive at the house today. It's been a long time a comin'....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:49 pm

I'm gonna have to get all three. I was a bit peeved recently to discover that the standard soundtrack for Two Towers doesn't have that lovely bit where Aragorn sings in Elvish that they play all the time on B.com. Return of the King does have the song Pippen does, however. So haunting... Going to have to watch the movies again soon - got the expanded editions of those (4DVD sets) - found out I can use the portable DVD player while nursing - will watch in 30-60 min bits, but will get through them... waiting for husband to be done with finals so he can watch the Netflix DVDs (not things I wanted to watch), so we can get something I did want to see.
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:47 pm

I hope you used a link via b.com to order. Doesnt add to your cost, but does help their revenue.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:42 pm

I ordered from B & N. They don't have a B.com link (but they should!).
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:51 pm

I'm gonna have to get all three. I was a bit peeved recently to discover that the standard soundtrack for Two Towers doesn't have that lovely bit where Aragorn sings in Elvish that they play all the time on B.com.

I think that that piece is on The Return of the King rather than the two towers. Aragorn sings near the end. I believe it is during the coronation. I don't recall him singing in The Two Towers, but I could be mistaken.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:09 am

Some new CDs after the longest gap (yet) without a CD purchase.

Phew! I feel SO relieved now. Previously, every time I was at the store, I knew well that I REALLY needed this in my collection, but without a bottomless wallet full of money :P I used to choose some other CD over this one since I got to listen to these symphonies quite often. I decided to end this debate with myself today and bought it. So now it's 4 down (5,6,7 and 9) and 5 to go. :D

And finally some chamber music...

Yet another CD that has been on the wishlist for quite sometime.
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:37 am

At the suggestion of Barfle, who told Selma and me that we needed to learn how to listen to music properly, so that we wouldn't fidget and/or crochet while enjoying the music, I have ordered Prof. Robert Greenberg's Lecture Series How to Listen To And Understand Great Music. I've been looking at this for a while, but decided that, since it was on sale and my wife has completed her education, now was a good time to concentrate on my own.

The only problem now will be finding the time to watch it (I ordered the DVD set).

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:00 am

Shapley wrote:so that we wouldn't fidget and/or crochet while enjoying the music, I have ordered Prof. Robert Greenberg's Lecture Series How to Listen To And Understand Great Music.
V/R
Shapley

I ordered this too, but found that I got fidgety while I was listening to it. :lol:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 am

I think I would do that if I bought the CD's or audiotapes. I think that, by having something to look at as well as listen to, I'll be able to focus for 45 minutes at a time. :)

I may have to buy the companion set: How To listen To And Understand Great Lectures. :D

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:11 am

jamiebk wrote:
Shapley wrote:so that we wouldn't fidget and/or crochet while enjoying the music, I have ordered Prof. Robert Greenberg's Lecture Series How to Listen To And Understand Great Music.
V/R
Shapley

I ordered this too, but found that I got fidgety while I was listening to it. :lol:

Ya shoulda brung your knitting. Srsly. :roll:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:30 pm

As I see it, listening to music isn't something you learn to do as much as it's something you want to do. My musical training is on the meager side of mediocre, and while I certainly don't claim an iota of musicianship, I enjoy picking out various instruments from an ensemble, for instance, and hearing just how the part becomes an element of the whole. Each time you listen to a piece, even if it's just a CD, look for something you haven't heard before.

Tons of fun, and it doesn't require any ejumakashunalizashining. Works with popular music, too. It helps if you like the piece, though.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:36 pm

Well, I'm going to give it a try. I've been looking at that course for a while now, so I'm going to see if it's worth the hype. It comes with a money-back guarantee so, if I don't like it, I can get a refund.

It's been a while since I've attempted to advance my edumacashun, so this will be a start.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:08 pm

In the mailbox, upon my arrival home, was a package from Amazon.com containing the CD Beethoven, Hummel, Hoffmann: Mandolin & Fortepiano Duilio Galfetti - mandolino, Diego Fasolis - Pianoforte. I had ordered this a while back, and it has been on backorder for so long I forgot I had ordered it.

It contains the following pieces:
Ludwig van Beethoven:
Andante con Variazioni, D-dur WoO44 Nr. 2
Sontaine, C-dur WoO44 Nr. 1
Sontaine, C-dur WoO43 Nr. 1
Adagio ma non troppo, Es-dur WoO43 Nr. 3

Johann Nepomuk Hummel:
Grande Sonata per Clavicembalo o Piano Forte con accompagnamento di Mandolino op. 37

Giovanni Hoffmann:
Sonata for Mandolin and Fortepiano in D minor
Sonata for Mandolin and Fortepiano in G major

You gotta love that mandolin!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:01 pm

The 1988 recording of the Edinburgh Tattoo. Track #3 is the massed military bands playing the Mexican Hat Dance. Yup, that's the one. How could I pass it up?

I will admit to a warped sense of humor. But I'll bet Haggis is jealous.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:07 am

Sadly, the Mexican Hat Dance turned out to have been played by the massed brass bands. Very nice and all but not what I was hoping for.

Anybody know where I can get the Mexican Hat Dance played on massed bagpipes? That's so insane it's got to be a classic, somewhere... :deal:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:26 am

Selma,
not sure if they have the Mexican Hat dance but this might satisfy your
bagpipe cravings... :mrgreen:

http://www.pipetunes.ca/?gclid=CMeqppLh ... PAodEzC6QQ

http://music.download.com/michaellancas ... 07202.html
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:31 pm

Now that another high tech tool has faded into obsolescence, I've decided it's time to convert my old Betamax movies to it. I ordered one of these nifty Betamax to HD DVD Converter boxes. It also lets you convert HD DVDs to Betamax format, if you can find the tapes.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes