Randomized aka....

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Randomized aka....

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:42 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:Well ... this Friday is when I go get my knee fixed......Just want to get this over with already and back in the swing of things...

Hooray! Fixed is good! I will refrain from saying "break a leg", you already did that. :?

Thanks Selma!

:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:39 pm

Shall we invent an excuse for a potluck soon?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:43 pm

We could have soup and a pavlova 'bake off'.

Cornbread....

I can not believe that a few months ago I saw the ear-of-corn cornbread pans at a garage sale, and I have wanted those since I was a young teenager, and because of storage 'issues' at the house, I didnt buy them. Bugger storage issues. That's what hooks on the wall are for! Next time I see them, they'll be rusty and three times the prices. Sheesh.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:49 pm

piqaboo wrote:...ear-of-corn cornbread pans...

I have one. It has to live in a cabinet, because it's cast iron and would pull a hook out of the wall. :ouch: But I doubt it'll ever rust, on account of the baked-on layers of non-stick spray.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:52 pm

Hook would be mounted in stud not drywall. I hate things falling on me.
And I'm jealous.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:57 pm

My wife has one, but we rarely use it. You have to scrub it with a toothbrush to get all the cornbread out of the kernals.

Cornbread is usually make it a round or oval skillet, such as an omelet skillet. Less trouble to clean - scrub with salt and re-oil.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:05 pm

I'm not at a loss for ways to make cornbread. I just want those cool little pans.
If the cornbread sticks, the cool shape is lost - so more antistick is needed, either on the pan or in the batter.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:02 pm

piqaboo wrote:Shall we invent an excuse for a potluck soon?

How 'bout to celebrate clutter reduction and our totally "hipness" ?
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:07 pm

Hip, hip, Hooray!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:28 pm

Shapley wrote:My wife has one, but we rarely use it. You have to scrub it with a toothbrush to get all the cornbread out of the kernals.

Cornbread is usually make it a round or oval skillet, such as an omelet skillet. Less trouble to clean - scrub with salt and re-oil.

Hmm, are we talking about "proper" cornbread or corncake? You know, "cornbread" with sugar in it?

The MRHYN uses cast iron skillets, small one for just the two of us and bigger ones for company. She actually makes better cornbread than my mother did (same recipe). Although "Sunflower" cornmeal from Kentucky is a major ingredient to the best cornbread ever. Unfortunately, we can't get it locally so when we travel through Jackson, MS we'll buy a coupla bags and put them in the freezer.

As for oil, she puts a tablespoonful in the skillet after it warms up to around 350 and then pours the batter in; a pot of beans, ham hocks, spinach greens and hot buttered cornbread...heaven.

My mother use to break pieces of cornbread into a glass then poured buttermilk over it and spooned it out like a pudding, something she had done since childhood. She was devastated when "fat free" buttermilk was all you could get. I doubt she ever had another glass of BM and CB after that.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:51 pm

I've got several variations of cornbread. There's the "proper" Texas variant (no sugar), and the Tennessee variety (a little sugar), the sweet corncake kind, and the "plus stuff" varieties. They start with the basic Tennessee variety and then get things thrown in before the cornbread goes into the oven. My personal fave involves little cubes of Monterey Jack, and jalapenos, and corn kernels, and chopped onion. Add a cup of tomato soup and you've got dinner!

For dessert you can make the corncake recipe and fry it into either fritters or little pancakes and eat them with honey. Very sticky. Extremely good.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:09 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I've got several variations of cornbread. There's the "proper" Texas variant (no sugar), and the Tennessee variety (a little sugar), the sweet corncake kind, and the "plus stuff" varieties. They start with the basic Tennessee variety and then get things thrown in before the cornbread goes into the oven. My personal fave involves little cubes of Monterey Jack, and jalapenos, and corn kernels, and chopped onion. Add a cup of tomato soup and you've got dinner!

For dessert you can make the corncake recipe and fry it into either fritters or little pancakes and eat them with honey. Very sticky. Extremely good.

I LOVE the little dollop of cornbread that you get with your meal at Chevy's. Can't say I care a lot for the food in general there (would rather enjoy authentic Mexican fare), but that cornbread stuff is yummy.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:34 am

Haggis@wk wrote:Hmm, are we talking about "proper" cornbread or corncake? You know, "cornbread" with sugar in it?

I believe the wife puts sugar in all cornbread. I've had 'proper' cornbread before, and wasn't fond of it. We don't use the term 'corncake' in these here parts, at least not that I'm aware of. The term 'cornpone' is used, but not in my household. I do have relatives that use that term, though.

We do oil the skillet, though probably not heavily enough. The 'corncob' pan has lots of little indentations to look like kernels, and the batter tends to stick to the edges of those. It takes four times as long to clean the corncob skillet as it does a regular skillet. Life is too short to tolerate that, just so your cornbread can look cute for a few minutes before it gets eaten.... :D
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:27 pm

I LOVE Cornbread!

:yum: :yum: :yum:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Well..

Today is the 10th day after knee surgery and I'm back at work.

Surgery went well. I was climbing stairs the 4th day after surgery... hurt like hell but
the doctor was amazed at the flexibility I have so quickly after the operation.

Stitches came out today and I was fitted for a brace that I must wear for 6 months.
Re-hab 3 days a week for 6 weeks and then a re-evaluation. This brace is pretty amazing.
Had to go to a surgical supply store, get measured blah blah blah..... I goes from the top
of my thigh almost to the top of my ankle..

I guess I really messed my knee up... Oh well.... I'm in GREAT Spirits and
happy to be passed the surgery and on the mend!!!

I get back to my groups next week and am looking forward to that!!!!

Time to catch up!!!

Regards,
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:52 pm

Glad to hear that you are doing well. :)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:46 pm

Hey TM, glad to hear its going well.
OT was in one of those braces when I met him. I believe it was ceremonially pounded into crumbs with a sledgehammer when it was no longer needed.
Good luck in recovering the ability to kneel!

Random folks - did we ever get hip to the idea of a soup get together?
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:58 pm

piqaboo wrote:Hey TM, glad to hear its going well.
OT was in one of those braces when I met him. I believe it was ceremonially pounded into crumbs with a sledgehammer when it was no longer needed.
Good luck in recovering the ability to kneel!

Random folks - did we ever get hip to the idea of a soup get together?

===================================================================
Piq,

Thanks! I feel GREAT!
I got a positive report from the orthopedic doctor yesterday and start re-hab tomorrow morning.

Regards,
TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:23 pm

piqaboo wrote:Hey, bring the MRHYN and you can help us celebrate our anniversary this april, with the last of the strawberry sauce. We cooked down the wedding strawberries with gran marnier & sugar, and stashed it away. Its done good work on cheesecakes, waffles, sundaes etc, but its nearly gone. We plan to finish it off as close to 4/17 as OT's schedule allows. It will be homemade icecream, and the strawberry sauce component will turn it the most astonishing shade of brilliant pink. OT will make the chocolate sauce.
If you dont show, we'll go with vanilla icecream (homemade vanilla from beans the kid sister gave me at Xmas), and strawberry sauce as is.

That sounds to me like the PiqOToids are hosting a yard party in mid-april. I'll pencil it in, tho the Fish may have to drive me...
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:37 pm

The Fish, and any accompaniement are welcome also.
Bring a brollie and wellies.
piqaboo
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections