Free Player Loads Differently

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Free Player Loads Differently

Postby EricP » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:16 am

So I open Beethoven.com this morning to start listening and the big "listen for free" icon on the top right doesn't work. I would click on that to open Windows Player and listen, with the play list active on the player. But, like I said, the icon didn't work to do that so I click on the actual link to listen for free and it opens a new tab in IE with an embedded player. Huh? What's that all about? Why'd we change this today? I like having the controls on my taskbar so I can adjust the volume and mute as needed. I hate embedded players...IMHO.
"Displace one note and there would be diminishment. Displace one phrase and the structure would fall."
EricP
5th Chair

Re: Free Player Loads Differently

Postby jamiebk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:14 am

http://www.beethoven.com/beethoven_ad.asx

Try this link. It's old but it still works fine for me
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby EricP » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:01 am

jamiebk wrote:http://www.beethoven.com/beethoven_ad.asx

Try this link. It's old but it still works fine for me

Perfect. Adding that to my faves. Thanks.
"Displace one note and there would be diminishment. Displace one phrase and the structure would fall."
EricP
5th Chair

Postby EricP » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:45 am

I'm sure nobody cares, but I discovered the source of the problem. Of course, it's not B.com. Nope, it was my stupid Flash player update that wonked out a bunch of stuff on my machine until I reloaded it (the whole Flash player, that is).
EricP
5th Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:34 am

EricP wrote:I'm sure nobody cares, but I discovered the source of the problem. Of course, it's not B.com. Nope, it was my stupid Flash player update that wonked out a bunch of stuff on my machine until I reloaded it (the whole Flash player, that is).

Glad you got it resolved.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby EricP » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:03 pm

EricP wrote:...the icon didn't work to do that so I click on the actual link to listen for free and it opens a new tab in IE with an embedded player. Huh? What's that all about? Why'd we change this today? I like having the controls on my taskbar so I can adjust the volume and mute as needed. I hate embedded players...IMHO.

Now that my little problem has turned into an official "change your link" because we've changed the player, let me again restate that I categorically hate embedded players. I don't want a separate page to load with the player on it. No, I want a separate player to load and minimize to my taskbar where I can have quick and ready access to volume controls. When people enter my cube, the mute button is always there. Next month, I'm going to have to bring up IE, find the correct tab, and the hit the mute button. I think Beethoven will lose me as a listener because of the change. It doesn't work for me and my workspace, and I somewhat doubt I am alone in that.
EricP
5th Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:15 pm

The imbedded player that pops up on my IE screen has four controls: Play button, Stop Button, and Mute Button, and a volume control slide switch under these. The animated 'now playing' window appears right above them, with a window beside them listing the 'now playing', 'next, and 'recently played' features, all in a non-sizable window about the same size as the old RealPlayer window I previously (somewhat) enjoyed.

Is this not the standard player? I realize it is different from the old WMP window, but I assumed that what I was looking at was the same as everyone else.

The only oeprational difference I see between it and the old WMP is that the tab in my Taskbar looks like the IE tab instead of the WMP tab, and the 'now playing' window works steadily.

:?:

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby EricP » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:44 pm

Shapley wrote:The imbedded player that pops up on my IE screen ...

That's it: The EMBEDDED player pops up in a new IE SCREEN. The old player was a standalone player that could be minimized to your taskbar. It was a page in IE (or whatever) browser. As I said, I want instant access to my controls on my taskbar. Haven't it embedded on a webpage does not work for me. In fact, consider how "odd" it is to have to go into your web browser when your boss walks into your cube. Do you really want to do that or just be able to click a mute button on your taskbar?

Lots of other classical stations on the web. Guess I'm going to have to find another one. :(
EricP
5th Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:36 pm

I guess I'm puzzled, as I'm not sure what the embedded player looks like. I have a seperate page for the player:

http://players.eonstreams.com/FastAim/P ... erID=1029#

Which comes up as a small window which I normally have minimized to the taskbar. To mute it, I have to open it, but it is not a full-screen window (it is not resizable). Anyone who comes near my office knows I'm listening to music, so it is no issue if they know I have to mute it. I don't have to wade through menus to get there, click to maximize, click to mute, click to minimize. I don't think WMP was any easier, Real certainly wasn't.

I think windows will let you imbed a master volume control in the taskbar, in which case all you have to is slide the volume down when needed, but I don't recall how to do that. I had it set up that way in a previous version of windows, but I have never done so in XP.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:51 pm

This thread is weird.

The eonstreams player that I get comes up in a separate box which I can minimise in the usual way. It has nothing to do with IE; probably because I'm using Firefox, and isn't embedded in anything. The player has controls, though the bottom half of the panel is missing. The best thing though, is that the "Now Playing" screen that comes with the player actually works.

There have been other times when I've felt that I get a different service from the one Americans get. Could that be possible? Other people have commented on shortcomings in BR's transmission which simply don't apply to me. Maybe it's the time of day when I'm listening. At present, If my calculations are right, it's late afternoon in Connecticut.

Talking of weirdness, I'm playing BR through my old Akai stereo, which, naturally, has a turntable. If I am to get decent sound from my computer, I have to unplug the turntable. Otherwise the right-hand speaker cuts out and sound is reduced through the left-hand one. I took it in for repair, but the tech had English as a second (if that) language and didn't understand. He didn't charge for failing to fix it, which is something. The stereo works perfectly if I play a record on the turntable.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby EricP » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:22 am

If you use Firefox, it's a seperate window that can be minimized. I use IE at work and it's a separate tab. Regardless, the bottom line is that in either incarnation, when minimized, there are no visible controls. You have to open the window to get to them. I want a seperate player that is not embedded in any browser page. I want easy and quick access to the control panel on my taskbar. If I don't have it, I'll find it elsewhere. Sorry. (I'm sure one listener less won't be noticed, but maybe I am not alone in my disappointment with this "improvement.")
EricP
5th Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:21 am

Well....goodbye to B.Com and my BBB friends. My company blocks most audio/video streaming and the new "listen free" link is one of them. Previously, I was able to listen using the old http://www.beethoven.com-beethoven_ad.asx link, but that is gone now (simply a loop message directing us to the new link).

I will miss the format, fun and friends....I may be able to listen in on Fridays when I work from home, but that's about it. I am really bummed about the change.
:cry: :cry:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:14 am

:cry: Still getting the looped message at the .asx URL, and the new player is blocked. I don't even get to see the alleged controls. :sad:

I won't be having a lot of comments about the b.com selections. Win Media streams seem to make it through the work firewall but the new stream doesn't. :rant:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:49 am

jamiebk wrote:Well....goodbye to B.Com and my BBB friends. My company blocks most audio/video streaming and the new "listen free" link is one of them. Previously, I was able to listen using the old http://www.beethoven.com-beethoven_ad.asx link, but that is gone now (simply a loop message directing us to the new link).

I will miss the format, fun and friends....I may be able to listen in on Fridays when I work from home, but that's about it. I am really bummed about the change.
:cry: :cry:

Bummer indeed! You will be missed!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks Piq....I can still get the BBB but it won't be the same without being able to listen in. I found an internet classical radio station (WQXR) in NYC that streams through WMP (the way B.com used to). It seems to make it through the firewall, so it is possible. I am hoping that over time, B.com will open up some more options.
Last edited by jamiebk on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby EricP » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:57 am

A quick Google search reveals lots and lots of classical music stations. I've found several with the standalone player that resolves my problem and will surely help others with their firewall.
EricP
5th Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:20 pm

Regarding muting of the music, don't you have a knob on your speakers? If there isn't a speaker icon in the system tray, it's probably hidden, which you can fix with a setting in control panel, or simply click on the arrows to expose it, and that will let you mute the audio.

Those work even when I'm playing music through WMP.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:34 am

The new player works nicely from home. Clicked on the ListenFree!! hot spot, player launches and stream starts. No trouble.

Now, if that would just work from work. :scowl: :grump:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:14 am

The big listen for free icon is missing from the front page. The new player blinks "Connecting....." but no music yet. Arrgh! The internet is clogged with traffic on Fridays :curse: I think I'll request something anyway and hope people give up trying to log in as the morning progresses.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi, everyone. After more than a week without access to the internet, I logged on to find the looping message. Trying to open a window/pop-up? only resulted in Firefox slowing down, and me forcefully closing it down. Thanks to the link provided by Shap, I now have the stream playing in a new tab (although the stream quality seems to much more "hissier" than the old one.)

If you find a stream URL somewhere, please post it here...I'd appreciate that. (And I'll post it, if I find it first.) :)
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Next

Return to Musical Notes