Firefox listening/technical help

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Firefox listening/technical help

Postby LauraLuvsBacon » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Hello all!

This is my first post here! It's kinda boring, but my technical problem is driving my batty! I can't listen to beethoven.com through Firefox. When I click the "Listen to our Free Stream" link, a blank page opens up. (No media player.) The address in the address bar reads "http://www.beethoven.com/beethoven_ad.asx"

What gives? I made sure ".asx" files are associated with Windows Media Player on my computer. The link works on my computer when using IE (which I DETEST!) Also, just to be sure, I enabled popups on beethoven.com. Still...no luck!

Any of you techs-savvy classical fans have any suggestions?

I'm going batty without me beethoven.com!

~Ciao!
Laura
LauraLuvsBacon
Section Player

Re: Firefox listening/technical help

Postby dai bread » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:03 pm

This isn't at all helpful; just to say that Firefox works fine for me and always has. I also have IE on my machine, though I use Firefox normally.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:11 am

I generally open Media Player before I click the listen link to start the stream. After Media Player is happily playing the music, I go back to the bulletin board or some other destination from the same annoying blank page you get - I don't know what causes it. Once the stream starts, everything works fine for me, though.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby CLarsen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:09 am

Hi Laura,
I'm sorry for the trouble. Try the new link that we just launched last night and let us know if it works properly. Thanks!
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby dai bread » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:57 pm

The new player works fine for me, Chris. I was surprised to see it though. I didn't know you were contemplating a change.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:37 am

That's a pretty sweet player! Thanks!
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby LauraLuvsBacon » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:12 pm

dai bread wrote:The new player works fine for me, Chris. I was surprised to see it though. I didn't know you were contemplating a change.

Oh, wow! Awesome! It works great! Talk about service! :)

Thanks for everybody's input!
LauraLuvsBacon
Section Player

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:13 am

LauraLuvsBacon

This may be the best username I've seen here.......
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:33 am

Welcome to the B.com Board LauraLuvsBacon!

:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Serenity » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:48 am

Hmmmmm....i think TM and GCR luv bacon too. Homer says "BAAAACOOOON .........AAARRRGGH ......DROOOL!" I wonder which Classical/Romantic composer was the most "baconesque"?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:10 pm

Serenity wrote:Hmmmmm....i think TM and GCR luv bacon too. Homer says "BAAAACOOOON .........AAARRRGGH ......DROOOL!" I wonder which Classical/Romantic composer was the most "baconesque"?

Serenity,
I actually had a Bacon Quesidilla for lunch....

:yum:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:54 pm

Hey Chris, is there a setting so the new player remembers your volume setting? 1 out of 4 times I forget to slide the slider when starting a new session and I am blasted out of my chair when it starts to stream. Not cool in an office setting. :mrgreen:
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:24 am

The new player is cool! Thanks, guys.
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby CLarsen » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:34 am

Hiya BigJon, unfortunately there isn't currently a setting. I'll see if they can drop that in a cookie somehow. Sorry for the trouble! :(
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:52 am

Thanks, most players today do remember your volume setting, I'm surprised this one doesn't.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby lliam » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:21 am

To all you Firefox users:

I've received the following news from a friend concerning the above browser virus, I hope this is useful to anyone using Firefox plus 2 more troubleshooters.

Published: Monday 2nd July 2012

Our topics today:

Firefox Flaw Puts Your Security at Risk

Clear a File Stuck in the Recycle Bin

Remove the FUNMOODS Browser Hijack

Firefox Flaw Puts Your Security at Risk

Dear Lliam,

Internet Explorer may be losing market share to alternative browsers, but it is still widely used, meaning that hackers target IE more than other browser, trying to infect PCs with viruses and other malware.

This has given IE a bad reputation in terms of security. But, while IE6 might have had lots of security vulnerabilities and weaknesses, the latest production release, IE9, comes with many security improvements which make the browser much more secure, such as SmartScreen filtering.

Unfortunately, the damage to Internet Explorer's reputation will likely take a long time to repair, and many IT professionals will tell you to switch to a more secure alternative, such as Mozilla Firefox.

While Firefox is a good all-round browser, it is by no means perfect in terms of security. If you're a Firefox user, a recently uncovered glitch brings home the fact that no piece of software is 100% secure.

The latest bug discovered in Firefox is more serious than most. The latest version of the Mozilla browser, Firefox 13, comes with a tabbed browsing feature that shows a list of recent websites when you open a new tab.

No problem with this you might think - Chrome and Internet Explorer do the same. But the problem with the implementation on Firefox is that the website thumbnails show pictures of secure websites.

And this means that they can display online banking and webmail sessions for example, complete with account numbers, balances, subject lines and so on. This can happen even if you are logged out of the sites in question, meaning that a snooper can take a look at important sensitive data just by opening a new browser tab.

Firefox is designed to automatically update itself, so if you're a Firefox user you most probably already have the bug ridden version installed on your system.

Mozilla have admitted that this is a problem and that they shouldn't be creating copies of this information from secure sites and storing them on your PC. Such sites are secure for a reason after all.

So, if you're a Firefox user you should expect a patch from Mozilla which fixes the problem.

But until that happens, you can turn the thumbnail view off to stop the problem from happening. Here's how: In the Firefox, press [Ctrl] + [T] to open a new tab.
In the address bar, type about:config and press [Enter].
Double-click on the option browser.new tab page.enabled to set the Value field to false.
Close the tab.

Turn tab thumbnails off to boost security

Clear a File Stuck in the Recycle Bin

A reader wrote to me last week who was having a problem with the Recycle Bin on her system. It seems that there was a persistent file stuck in the Recycle Bin, and whenever she tried to clear the bin out an error message popped up and the file wouldn't budge. Even after using System Restore and checking her hard drive for errors, the file remained.

In this situation, I would always resort to the command line to fix the problem. To do so:

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator (XP users just click Command Prompt).
Type CD \​ and press [Enter] to switch to your C: drive's root folder.
Type CD .bin and press [Enter].
Type del /F /S *.* and press [Enter].
If prompted, press [Y] to confirm the deletions.
Type EXIT and press [Enter] to close the Recycle Bin.

Delete stubborn files at the command prompt.

Remove the FUNMOODS Browser Hijack
A reader wrote to me last week with two annoying pieces of malware on his system that he wants rid of. The two infections, called FUNMOODS and SEARCHNU, are browser hijackers which take over your web browser and infect your search results, redirecting you to sites you don’t want to visit.

These are both quite complicated infections to remove, so in this newsletter I will show you how to remove FUNMOODS, and next time I’ll cover getting rid of SEARCHNU.

FUNMOODS is a browser extension. To get rid of it, follow these steps: Click Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features (Windows 7/Vista) or Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP).
Select Funmoods and click Remove or Uninstall.
Open Internet Explorer.
Press the [Alt] key then click Tools > Add-ons to open the add-ons window.
Select Funmoods and click Remove or Disable.
Close Internet Explorer

Click Start > Control Panel > Internet Options.
In the Address bar, replace the home page set by FUNMOODS with the home page you’d like to use (e.g. google.com).
Click OK.
If you have Internet Explorer 7 or above, open IE then click the down arrow next to the search bar and choose Manage Search Providers or Change Search Defaults.
Select the search engine you’d like to use by default, then click Close or OK.

Reset your default home page from the one imposed by FUNMOODS

PS: For more information on removing browser hijackers and other malware, take a look at my book, Windows Internet Security: The Essential Guide. You can order your copy by clicking here.

All the best lliam,

Stefan.
Lliam.

I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted - George Best
lliam
2nd Chair

Return to Helping Hand