Windows Vista

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Windows Vista

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:32 am

Thanks for all the info!
Little by little the new computer is getting configured....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:07 am

OK...

I'm in the process of purchasing Acronis Imaging software and an external hard drive
to do a full backup of the new computer...

Looking at external hard drives....

Seagate Freeagent Pro has a 750 gig drive and looks pretty good...
Our new computer has a 640 gig hard drive....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:45 am

We have WD MyBook drives alongside the computers at work. USB connection, plug-and-play, none of them have tanked yet. This one is a 500G, but I've seen a 1 Terabyte model advertised at Costco. :shock: :bugeyes: :rolleyes:

Remember when nobody could imagine needing more than 64K, we used little cassette tape drives to store the programs we typed in by keyboard, and a floppy external drive was bleeding-edge technology? I'm suffering from future shock again...
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:46 am

I'm mulling over a 1TB network drive by Western Digital. Still have to finish paying for the ballet tickets, though.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:03 pm

That looks very good!

thanks Barfle!!!!
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:18 pm

Amazon has iomega 750 GB USB drives for about $110. I will be buying one this weekend.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:14 pm

I remember buying a computer system for my employer at the time (in 1989), and the installer looked at it and said, "gee, that's a big drive". It was 30mb.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:10 pm

I've spent the last 3 days trying to re-boot my computer. The re-booting process kept getting stuck right before the Windows software would load. After 3 days of troubleshooting, I was able to re-load the operating system. I will spend the weekend loading and updating software i frequently use and that is no longer there.

I stupidly left the computer on one day and came back to find a blue screen of death. After attempting to restore the desktop unsuccesfully, I spent a couple of nights running utilities off of supplied disks. I think I lucked out when I was able to load the operating system from scratch after virtually giving up. I'm spending the weekend re-loading my desktop .

Oh boy! I see whales! Respighi's Fountains of Rome is on! I can't concentrate on you anymore, I must drift away into the music!
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:04 pm

I've probably posted this before. I've told so many people that Vista is a dog that I've forgotten who I've spoken to.

Vista is a dog, and that insults dogs.

I have Vista Home Premium, with SP1, and it won't run my scanner, or Sibelius 3 software, both of which ran perfectly under XP. It will run Sibelius Scorch, but only if I visit Scorch-compatible sites using Internet Explorer. It wouldn't even run one of Microsoft's own programs, but I've forgotten which one it was. I had trouble running Kodak software, and sent off a shitty response to the query that comes up when you look for help using this thing. A couple of days later, I could get Kodak to work, in a nice updated version, so something got fixed. The query program shot off 108 problems to Microsoft. I've no idea what they were, and am fairly sure many were duplicated.

Vista told me that there was a problem with my D-Link modem. As my internet was working fine, I sent a terse note to wherever the dialogue box sent it, saying so. As it happens, I've since upgraded the modem, but only because my ISP was offering it free.

FWIW, I've found that Microsoft's "Paint" program has a scanning function that will work my scanner. The scanner is a Canon MP160, about a year old, and luckily my brother-in-law had it as a spare, so gave it to me. (I've disconnected the one that Vista didn't like). Oddly enough, Vista will work the print function on it. Probably, the "Paint" program would work my old scanner, but I've got the Canon now so there's not much point in trying.

Why do I stick with it? Because I don't know enough about tech stuff to get Linux, and I'm unhappy about using superseded things, even if the new is worse than the old. Most of the games I like are Microsoft ones. Do they run on Linux? I don't know, and I suspect that finding out would be fraught.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:47 pm

Loaded the operating system and upgraded to service pack 1. Re-loaded most of the software programs I had. I felt isolated without internet connectivity. Somehow, books and TV were not enough.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:44 am

dai bread wrote:I've probably posted this before. I've told so many people that Vista is a dog that I've forgotten who I've spoken to.

Vista is a dog, and that insults dogs.

I have Vista Home Premium, with SP1, and it won't run my scanner, or Sibelius 3 software, both of which ran perfectly under XP. It will run Sibelius Scorch, but only if I visit Scorch-compatible sites using Internet Explorer. It wouldn't even run one of Microsoft's own programs, but I've forgotten which one it was. I had trouble running Kodak software, and sent off a shitty response to the query that comes up when you look for help using this thing. A couple of days later, I could get Kodak to work, in a nice updated version, so something got fixed. The query program shot off 108 problems to Microsoft. I've no idea what they were, and am fairly sure many were duplicated.

Vista told me that there was a problem with my D-Link modem. As my internet was working fine, I sent a terse note to wherever the dialogue box sent it, saying so. As it happens, I've since upgraded the modem, but only because my ISP was offering it free.

:curse:

FWIW, I've found that Microsoft's "Paint" program has a scanning function that will work my scanner. The scanner is a Canon MP160, about a year old, and luckily my brother-in-law had it as a spare, so gave it to me. (I've disconnected the one that Vista didn't like). Oddly enough, Vista will work the print function on it. Probably, the "Paint" program would work my old scanner, but I've got the Canon now so there's not much point in trying.

Why do I stick with it? Because I don't know enough about tech stuff to get Linux, and I'm unhappy about using superseded things, even if the new is worse than the old. Most of the games I like are Microsoft ones. Do they run on Linux? I don't know, and I suspect that finding out would be fraught.

Understand your frustration.
We are running Vista Home Premium SP1 (32 bit operating system)
IT SUX..
Way too many problems... It is SLOW SLOW SLOW....

I believe Vista will go down the same path of
Windows ME... remember that mess..

:curse:
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby dai bread » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:24 pm

115 problems were just picked up by Microsoft. As usual, I've no idea what they are.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:44 am

The truth about Windows ME.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:10 am

barfle wrote:The truth about Windows ME.

Barfle,
That was GREAT... :rofl:

Too bad Microsoft screwed Vista up bigtime...
I heard a new system will be coming out but in 2010...

It appears Vista will be dying a slow death.....

TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:36 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:

Barfle,

TM

and hopefully a painful one...what a piece of junk...The irritating thing is that except for going Mac, the consumer has little choice but to endure using that POS.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:23 am

jamiebk wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:

Barfle,

TM

and hopefully a painful one...what a piece of junk...The irritating thing is that except for going Mac, the consumer has little choice but to endure using that POS.

Unfortunate but true.........
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby barfle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:44 pm

I understand that Windows 7 is nearing release. I received a magazine with a cover article on it, but I haven't read it yet. My two XP machines are running as well as anything with a small, limp operating system can be expected to.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:28 pm

I asked a service tech. about getting Vista unloaded and XP put in. He quoted $300 and said, in effect, "don't". The trouble arising from reloading the data is likely to be worse than staying with Vista.

My next machine will be a Mac.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:12 pm

dai bread wrote:I asked a service tech. about getting Vista unloaded and XP put in. He quoted $300 and said, in effect, "don't". The trouble arising from reloading the data is likely to be worse than staying with Vista.

My next machine will be a Mac.

Dai,
That is exactly what is preventing me from going back to XP.
My tech told me the data conversion back would be very painful...

Seriously thinking about a Mac...

TM
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:10 pm

You can still buy XP computers today. You just gotta know which boxes to check. I'm shopping for one for my wife this weekend.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Helping Hand