Randomized aka....

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Randomized aka....

Postby Shapley » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:17 am

Snowstorm Stands Motorists In San Diego County

I thought Ya'll didn't get any snow down there in Paradise...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:11 pm

One year when I was living in California, bar and I took some of our vacation in Death Valley NP. We had a 4X4 that was capable of a surprising amount of differing terrain, and Death Vally has off-road trails that are great fun to explore.

This was in mid-May, and we checked out our trail map and decided to take a trail over some mountains and into another valley. The trail probably went 20 or 30 miles through a low area before it started to climb the side of the mountain. I noticed a few patches of snow as I was working my way up the mountain, and the trail was pretty muddy. I went around a bend and came on a road grader that was attempting to clear snow from the trail, but could not because of the depth of the snow and the fact that his grader didn't have chains on the tires.

Backing down a mile of the trail was a literal pain in the neck.

Death Valley. May. Too much snow to use a trail. Go figure.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:11 am

I was born in California. I went to school in California. I think I took California for granted. I went back to California when I was in my early 20's and I didn't like downtown L.A. ( it seemed "scummy"). I wouldn't want to live in L.A. yet i feel it's better than living in *assachusetts......though they have trees here and Ivy league colleges... that my kids might want to go to.... but can only go to if they have references from high-ranking politicians. Although i did like the movie "Kalifornia"......as well as "Fargo", which was nowhere near California.....yet I see a lot of Independent voters in Minnesota (I like that).
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Serenity wrote:I was born in California. I went to school in California. I think I took California for granted. I went back to California when I was in my early 20's and I didn't like downtown L.A. ( it seemed "scummy"). I wouldn't want to live in L.A. yet i feel it's better than living in *assachusetts......though they have trees here and Ivy league colleges... that my kids might want to go to.... but can only go to if they have references from high-ranking politicians. Although i did like the movie "Kalifornia"......as well as "Fargo", which was nowhere near California.....yet I see a lot of Independent voters in Minnesota (I like that).

What about New Hampshire? It's a beautiful state... and no state income tax.....
It's just a little north of you...

8)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:09 pm

Trumpetmaster wrote:What about New Hampshire? It's a beautiful state... and no state income tax.....

8)

And a property tax to more than make up for it.

I've heard that the White Mountains have the worst weather in the US. But maybe the people saying that haven't lived in Oscoda.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:02 am

barfle wrote:
Trumpetmaster wrote:What about New Hampshire? It's a beautiful state... and no state income tax.....

8)

And a property tax to more than make up for it.

I've heard that the White Mountains have the worst weather in the US. But maybe the people saying that haven't lived in Oscoda.

=============================================================
Not as bad as what we pay here in property taxes on Long Island....

I would rather be in a warm climate, but if you like cold weather and snow....
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:18 pm

I've spent one week vacation in New Hampshire every year for the past 15 years during "4th of July week". i think I go when it is too congested and I would like to see other parts of the state during off-peak times. I love the state logo "Live Free or Die", Every year I've looked for Moose and can't find any!,,,,,even when they have highway signs that urge you to slow down for moose because it will save your life!( Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.....i like Bullwinkle J. Moose).

Mount Washington really has some harsh and unpredictable weather once you get up on high ground. I'm not much of a "granola kid". I would love to hike but I've become too lazy in my old age to bother with the bugs and discomforts of non-suburbia. I feel guilty when my kids complain about the mosquitoes and other bugs; bugs were a natural fixture of growing up in mainland Mexico. I remember tormenting cockroaches and ants with wax, hornet nests with stones, tarantulas with kerosene, bats with dog=whistles, watching crows nest at sunset, eating hens after watching them peck around the yard, looking for scorpions with black light, i miss the variety of bugs that existed in tropical zones; only ticks, mosquitoes and black flies up here. :crazy:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:38 am

Saturday: OT was singing Doowop at a park, after which GC, the extended PiqOToid family, and I removed to Valley Center for Fat Ivor's lunch. It was good. Very, very good. A very successful Saturday.

Y'all should come to Paradise and listen to the Tenor sing; Opera or Doowop, he does both quite well.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:57 am

Aw, shucks.....
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:46 am

Saturday was yet another foray to Fat Ivor's.

Barfle, Bones, and Haggis: The rib quality has not diminished in the least. I know you guys want to know that.

:twisted:
- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 am

The rib doesnt fall far from the ribcage. Sat am, I asked the Altoid if she wanted to go to the cafe for breakfast or eat at home. She said "I want to go to that place with the good meat". Yeah, like I know what she's talking about? Then she followed up "with the bones". Ah! And so, randomness happened (tho not for breakfast).
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:16 pm

Our friends from Temecula were again up north here for our "Wine group" dinner and it reminded me that we yet have to experience Fat Ivors with them down there.

One of these days...........................................
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:37 pm

After Fat Ivor's, we returned to the PiqOToid home to chat with Senor Bird, watch the Altoid perform a pencillectomy on GC, and generally hang out for a while. I then went to see The Sound of Music at the Poway PAC (Elder Daughter was the Mother Superior and Mikey would've been a Goat, had he not had a fever and sore throat). Very Amateur Theater Productions did a good job, there were huge bunches of kids as Goats for the "puppet show" in Act I, and in the Salzburg Musical Festival acts, and the named characters were all well played. "A Crazy Planet" was cut from the production :( and I may have been the only person who missed it (it didn't make it into the movie, either, but I like the cynicism...).
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:16 am

OperaTenor wrote:Saturday was yet another foray to Fat Ivor's.

Barfle, Bones, and Haggis: The rib quality has not diminished in the least. I know you guys want to know that.

That's just mean. Although we do have pretty darn good barbecue heah in Vahjinyah, too.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:53 am

barfle wrote:

That's just mean.

Mission Accomplished!

- William Penn

OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:23 pm

OperaTenor wrote:
barfle wrote:

That's just mean.

Mission Accomplished!

My counter..... to Fat Ivors :mrgreen:
The Monster Beef Bones in this place just might compare to Fat Ivors! :wink:

http://www.smokinals.com/ordereze/default.aspx
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Bones » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:31 pm

barfle wrote:

That's just mean. Although we do have pretty darn good barbecue heah in Vahjinyah, too.

I agree with Barfle. That's just mean. There is a great barbecue place near me in the city, but they don't have ribs like Fat Ivor's.
"I try to think, but nothing happens!" - Curly Howard
Bones
3rd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:13 am

Stopit, stopit, stopit....you guys are makin' me hungry enough to hop a plane to SoCal! :lol:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:55 am

I'm trying to convince the wife we need to make a trip to SoCal. I'd like to see the Nixon Birthplace Museum (assuming it hasn't burnt down by then) and the Ronaldus Maximus Temple,....errr,.... library and museum.

So far, I haven't won her over. I may have to throw in some kind of entertainment more to her liking.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:36 am

Shapley wrote:I'm trying to convince the wife we need to make a trip to SoCal. I'd like to see the Nixon Birthplace Museum (assuming it hasn't burnt down by then) and the Ronaldus Maximus Temple,....errr,.... library and museum.

So far, I haven't won her over. I may have to throw in some kind of entertainment more to her liking.

Does she like ribs? Perhaps you should wait until it is about 10 degrees at home when the lure of SoCal may increase.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections