Intolerance

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Intolerance

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:16 am

Intolerance

From USA Today...

A group of Christian protesters tried to shout down a Hindu clergyman who was invited to give the opening prayer during yesterday's session of the Senate. Capitol Police say they arrested three people after they stood up and started yelling "this is an abomination" when guest chaplain Rajan Zed invited the Senate to join him in prayer.

Thanks the Congressional Record, we can now share the full text of the prayer that the protesters didn't want anyone to hear:

Let us pray. We meditate on the transcendental Glory of the Deity Supreme, who is inside the heart of the Earth, inside the life of the sky, and inside the soul of the Heaven. May He stimulate and illuminate our minds.

Lead us from the unreal to the real, from darkness to light, and from death to immortality. May we be protected together. May we be nourished together. May we work together with great vigor. May our study be enlightening. May no obstacle arise between us.

May the Senators strive constantly to serve the welfare of the world, performing their duties with the welfare of others always in mind, because by devotion to selfless work one attains the supreme goal of life. May they work carefully and wisely, guided by compassion and without thought for themselves.

United your resolve, united your hearts, may your spirits be as one, that you may long dwell in unity and concord.

Peace, peace, peace be unto all. Lord, we ask You to comfort the family of former First Lady, Lady Bird Johnson. Amen.

The protesters' concerns, according to the website of a Mississippi group that was trying to mobilize opposition to Zed's appearance, were based on the fact that Hindus worship multiple Gods.

“It was a shocking event for all of us Christians,” the Rev. Flip Benham, head of Dallas-based Operation Rescue/Operation Save America, tells The Hill. “For all of these years we have honored the God of our Founding Fathers. It wasn’t a group of Hindus, Buddhists or Muslims that came here. It was Christians.”

The protesters, two men and a woman, face misdemeanor charges of disrupting Congress, according to the Associated Press. "We are Christians and patriots," one of the men told a reporter before he was dragged out of the Senate gallery.

Benham issued a press release that criticizes Congress for allowing a Hindu chaplain to join them in prayer. “Not one Senator had the backbone to stand as our Founding Fathers stood. They stood on the Gospel of Jesus Christ!" he says.

Zed, who works on interfaith issues in Nevada, tells our cousins at the Reno Gazette-Journal that the incident points to the need for greater dialogue among religious leaders. "Every American should be honored with this prayer," he says. "I understand we have seriously different philosophical traditions, but we should work for the common good and benefit of humankind."

Shall I hold my breath until that dastardly "liberal" MSM puts these bigots in perspective as it does the Islamic extremists?
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:29 am

Shall I hold my breath until that dastardly "liberal" MSM puts these bigots in perspective as it does the Islamic extremists?

Since it hasn't done the latter I don't suspect it will do the former
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:39 pm

I have found that religious intolerance knows no religious bounds. I don't know of any belief structure that does not have members who will attempt to shout down those who disagree. That includes members of my own belief structure.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:02 am

Thanks for the text of the prayer. I think it's a good one, and I hope the Senators paid more attention to it than to the noisy nitwits in the back of the room.

Sadly, all groups have a few noisy nitwits. Rev. Flippie B, being a good southern boy, should know it's tacky to interrupt when somebody's prayin'. What was his mama thinking? Did she not whack any sense into that boy? Somebody drag his butt back out behind a woodshed and explain the concept of manners to him, please?
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:27 pm

I must have missed something in the story. What, exactly, did these three extremists threaten to blow up?
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:48 am

Shapley wrote:

I must have missed something in the story. What, exactly, did these three extremists threaten to blow up?

Maybe they haven't threatened to blow up anything, but have blown up a few abortion clinics and killed a few doctors over the years.

I suppose that's pretty harmless...
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Shapley » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:51 am

Maybe they haven't threatened to blow up anything, but have blown up a few abortion clinics and killed a few doctors over the years.

I am not saying intolerance doesn't exist within the Christian community. I've pointed to parallels to the troubles in Northern Ireland as an example of terrorism perpetrated by the Christian faith.

However, to compare three bigots standing up and protesting a non-Christian prayer to the actions of suicide bombers is a bit of a stretch. Nor do I believe you have any evidence of a connection between this small group of protestors and the abortion clinic bombings, which have been condemned by all of the mainstream churches. In fact, I think your attempt at making such a connection weakens your argument, since the same 'broad brush' methodology applied to the Islamic faith would result in the assumption that all members of that faith are potential suicide bombers.

I watched the Democrat Party platform hearings back in 2000. A pro-life group, speaking in the time alloted to them, attempted to make their case for adopting a platform that allowed restrictions to be placed on abortions. They were booed and hissed and shouted down, and by a considerable larger contingent than the small handful shown in the link you posted. Intolerance is not the sole proprietary of the left or the right, of the Christian or the Muslim, of the religious or the conservative. It is, I believe, a human trademark. Nor do I believe it is entirely a bad thing, in and of itself. There are things I will not tolerate in my household, in my neighborhood, and in my nation. I suspect that you feel the same way, as do most people here on the board. Intolerance forms the basis of much of what we define as morality. We have different levels of intolerance and, thus, different moralities.

V/R
Shapley
Last edited by Shapley on Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:25 am

I think I could make a convincing argument that it is extreme tolerance as preached by the Liberal left, not intolerance, that is the root of many of our problems in American society.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:25 pm

I think it's important to discern the difference between tolerating a difference and ignoring a threat. These days I find many people in the same "There's a red behind every tree" mindset that was prevalent in the 50s and 60s. Most of those "reds" were no threat at all, yet Cuba is still as much a bastion of totalitarianism as North Korea.

If you think everythng is a threat, you are powerless to act against the real threats. I've seen this happen far too often in my lifetime.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Re: Intolerance

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:29 pm

DNA Discoverer: Blacks Less Intelligent Than Whites

I'm not going to debate the accuracy of this statement.

What interests me is the demands for him to retract his statements and to apologize. Isn't this the same type of intolerance that we fault the Church for, stifling scientific discussion of statements based on observations? Does it make him a racist if he makes a statement based on his own reading of the evidence? Is it inherently wrong to make such statements? Are there some areas of knowledge that simply are not open to debate, for fear of a backlash against those who argue from the politically incorrect viewpoint?

I find his statements less troubling than the fact that so many people object to his making them.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:12 pm

It's a sweeping generalization and I'd be interested to know what measures and tests he applied. Intelligence is not an easy thing to gauge.

I have accepted the fact, however, that Asians are on top of the food chain with regard to so-called intelligence...Charts I have seen rate Asians first, Whites second, Hispanics, third and Blacks forth. I don't know how this is determined however.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:50 pm

In this country Asians also come first in academic achievement; so much so that it is a matter of comment if a Caucasian name crops up. Asians also dominate youthful achievement in classical music.

But we have to remember that the Asians who come here are an elite. They come from families who can afford to send them here and keep them here at substantial expense. What it's like back home is anybody's guess. I would expect the full range from genius to thick as bricks.

I don't have any real experience with black people; not even Melanesians (Fijians etc.), but if our Polynesian brethren are anything to go by, the differences aren't that great. Certainly I've come across Maori who could eat me for breakfast.

(Not literally- they gave that up long ago. :wink: )
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:46 pm

dai bread wrote:In this country Asians also come first in academic achievement; so much so that it is a matter of comment if a Caucasian name crops up. Asians also dominate youthful achievement in classical music.

A friend of our's son play the viola in the local school's classical orchestra and so the MRHYN and I regularly attend performances.

The orchestra's quite professional and very impressive. 45 of the fifty-five members are all Asian.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:43 pm

Shapley wrote: I find his statements less troubling than the fact that so many people object to his making them.

I suspect it is the way he says it that causes so much heartburn.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:35 am

Here is a photo from today's news:

The photo is from Goias, Brazil, and is part of the Holy Thursday celebration. The hooded figures represent the Praetorian Guard that arrested Jesus the Christ.

An interesting photo, and I'm afraid it is one that is easily misinterpreted.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:50 am

Your link don't work. Was it this picture?
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:03 am

I can see both Shap's and BigJon's pix - not the same, but share the key similarity of the highfashion hoodie...
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:05 am

Hey - are you'se guys hosting those pix or ?? How are you getting them to display? thx
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:09 am

I can see both pictures...
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:09 am

From the original news site, I right click and select 'properties'. It'll display a URL of the photo location. I copy the URL to the clipboard. I then go the B.com site and type [img]and_paste_the_link,_closing_it_with[/img].

Some sites do not allow this, so I always (well, okay, almost always) preview it before submitting, to make sure that it shows.

Apparently some browsers won't display these images.

BigJon,
Are you able to see your image and not mine? I can see both as, apparently, can Piq.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Next

Return to The Debate Team