Happy Earth Day!

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Happy Earth Day!

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:21 am

I got in too late to get a free reusable mug at the coffee shops in the hospital. Phooey. Just have to make some chai in my mug I keep in the office.

Will celebrate by remembering to bring home some of my scrap paper for the kids to draw on, hopefully taking a walk this evening, and not starting the car until I'm all buckled in and ready to go, even if I roast a little before I can put the windows down.

And if anybody wants some maple tree seedlings, let me know. I've got about 1000 in my lawn...and I don't think the grass will be long enough to mow for another week or so....
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Re: Happy Earth Day!

Postby piqaboo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:31 am

Yes, please, to the maple tree seedlings.

I love maples, in all their amazing variety.

Want a couple pine tree or Washingtonia palm tree seedlings?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:10 pm

I'd like to plant a Monkey Puzzle tree. I have a nice spot on the top of the hill that would do nicely for it.

Mostly, the wooded parts of my property is Poplar, Oak, Sasafras, and a small assortment of others (Pecan, Hickory, Ash, Linden, Elder, Redbud, Dogwood, Paw-Paws, etc., mostly native trees). I still have one or two Honey Locusts, but most have been gotten rid of. I hope to get shed of them this year. The only other pesty tree is the Russian Olive, which is almost as bad as Kudzu to get rid of. They are flowering right now, filling the air with their pungent odor - sweet-smelling, but overbearing. The Dogwoods and Redbuds are in bloom, which makes for a pleasant sight, and their aroma is not overbearing.

The Wild Grapevine grows thick in a lot of the trees. In some places the Vine Stalks are thicker than the trees they grow on.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:47 pm

I think I'll scatter some kudzu along the Interstate.

And maybe nuke a gay whale.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:07 pm

Now now folks...

I set up my new composter yesterday! Earth Machine makes a great one and my town was giving these away for just $30!!! Glad my town did this to try to get folks composing instead of taking up space in landfills.

http://www.earthmachine.com/index_r.html

Best thing ever!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:39 pm

Ah...so that's why An Inconvenient Truth was telecast last night! (It's a few minutes past midnight now. :) )
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:57 pm

That's a nifty composter.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:24 pm

I love this composter! It's so easy to use and my pit bulls have been trying to get in it since they now know food is there! I have to give the company credit... the door is so secure that it can keep my dogs out...!
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:34 pm

Pics of the Pits, please.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:14 pm

QUOTE OF THE WEEK FROM LETTEREMAN RE: EARTHDAY

"Even Elliott Spitzer has the Earth Day spirit! Earier today he picked up some road-side trash.
I believe her name was Rhonda." :rofl: :lol: :rofl:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:32 am

I went to the website looking for pricing and ordering info. Couldnt find any. Emailed em using their contact us address - no response. Odd business model.

With the heat of summer, I'd like to move to covered composting for fly control. Looks like I'll have to keep using dirt as the cover.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:35 am

piqaboo wrote:I went to the website looking for pricing and ordering info. Couldnt find any. Emailed em using their contact us address - no response. Odd business model.

Me to, strange
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:03 pm

I found this site. Composters galore
I like the Scrap Eater but not at $575!

Here's the EarthMachine for $85.
EarthMachine

I'm tempted to cut the bottom out of a $15 plastic trashcan to make my own version.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:41 pm

Yes, they are not hard to build. I built a rotating one with a friend once.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:17 am

Hey! I got a reply from the EarthMachine people. $100 plus shipping is ouch.

Hi piqaboo,
There are a few ways to purchase the Earth Machine Composter:

Contact your city and speak with the recycling coordinator, they might be able to direct you to somewhere local
http://www.greenculture.com, if you live in the U.S I would recommend this on-line company that carries our product Directly from us for $100.00 plus shipping

If you are interested or you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Sincerely,

Fereshteh Sherzai
Executive Assistant
Environmental Products Division
Norseman Plastics Ltd.
39 Westmore Drive
Rexdale, ON
M9V 3Y6
P: 800-894-8397 ext. 829
F: 905-450-2009
E: fsherzai@norsemanplastics.com
W: http://www.norsemanplastics.com

BigJon, what did you guys use for the barrel of the rotating composter you built? I'd thought of using one of those plastic paint buckets (like the orange ones HomeDepot sells), but I think its too small . I'm thinking our kitchen scrap would require at least 2x that volume.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:04 pm

Painted Wood.
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:41 pm

Its not likely I'll go to the trouble to build anything of wood, just for the joy of rotting stuff in it.
Oh well.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Nicole Marie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:14 pm

My town was giving away the Earth Machine at a discount so I only paid $30 for the main unit and the kitchen unit together! Earth Machine cuts deals with local towns if they buy a certain amount they get it cheap... something like that.

You can of course make your own! One website I visit is Organic Gardening.com. They feature a few composters, wood, brick, there is even a paln for a composter made out of old shower doors! But they also say, you really don't need the "machine" just a simple pile is all that is needed. Here is the link:

http://www.organicgardening.com/subchan ... 79,00.html
H.R.H. Nicole Marie
Eve was Framed
Nicole Marie
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:19 pm

In barflesylvania, we have about 20 mature trees that drop their leaves every fall, except for the beeches, which drop them in the spring (retarded trees?). So in our wooded area, we pile up the leaves. The pile can get to be about 4 feet high, 4 feet wide, and 10 feet long. Then, as winter turns to spring, the pile virtually vanishes, compacting itself into a bed of compost that gets dug up every couple of years and used for planting and mulch.

I dearly love that big old oak tree in my front yard, even though oaks are weeds here in Vahjinyah, and it drops probably a half-ton of leaves every year. It's probably from living in southern California, where a mature oak tree is revered.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:44 pm

We have two compost heaps going on, the past couple years.

The house came with three raised beds. The soil in those beds is impermeable to water. Put it in a pot, put water on top, watch dry soil flow out like water. Soak it - water finds one narrow channel, rest of soil remains dry. Horrible stuff.
So, kitchen scraps have been going into one or the other of those beds, the past two years. Fly control has been by covering the scraps with dirt. Cant tell if the soil is any better yet - it doesnt look better.
For now, I'll keep using those beds for convenient close-to-house composting.

Down the bottom of the garden is a heap o' trimmings, grass, etc. Unfortunately, we included torn up iceplant in this pile from the getgo. The stems rot but slowly slowly, and meantime they form a tangle which makes that heap hard to turn, and thus hard to get compost off the bottom.
I used to put food scraps in this heap but that changed:
1) too lazy to hike out to it (during the few Altoid-free moments I could)
2) the food invited in rodents, and the rodents invited in rattlesnakes, and the desired population of those in our yard is 0.

This summer, we'll start a new heap, without that error. (In theory, we'll be able to mulch iceplant and add it to the heap, but I have doubts about the ability of a mulcher to handle the stuff).
piqaboo
1st Chair

Next

Return to Culture Connections