Patriots Day

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Patriots Day

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:40 am

Happy Patriots Day!!!

Patriots Day may be the least known American holiday, and maybe the day most deserving of our recognition.

It marks the day, April 19, 1775, when Americans took up arms against their king, and bled, at the crack of that terrible dawn.

Capt. John Parker, Lexington Militia

Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

The hardest history lesson for me to learn; Longfellow lied.

Paul Revere did not make it to his destination when sent to warn his countrymen that the British were coming. Captured and briefly detained, he was forced to walk home as the Redcoats retained his horse for His Majesty's service when they detained him.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: Patriots Day

Postby Shapley » Thu May 08, 2008 11:52 am

Not being familiar with Patriot's Day, I was curious about the date. I see that it is a moveable feast, now recognized (where it is recognized) as the third Monday in April.

I am curious if that date could have any connection to the Oklahoma City bombing, which occured on April 19th. I see no mention of Patriot's Day in news articles relating to the bombing, but it seems the type of connection McVeigh would have recognized, from what I read of him.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Thu May 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Shapley wrote:I am curious if that date could have any connection to the Oklahoma City bombing, which occured on April 19th.

The Oklahoma City bombing was in retaliation for the raid on Waco (Branch Davidians) one year earlier.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu May 08, 2008 2:12 pm

I should have remembered that. I've just equated the Waco Raid as a continuing event, started months earlier. I hadn't remembered that the day of the fire occured on Patriot's Day. I think it's a fair bet that Janet Reno had no thoughts about the significance of the date.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Fri May 09, 2008 12:56 pm

Shapley wrote:it's a fair bet that Janet Reno had no thoughts

I won't take that bet. You're dead right.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Return to The Debate Team