Paris is burning, yet again.

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Paris is burning, yet again.

Postby Shapley » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:21 am

Olympic Torch Relay Interrupted By Protests In Paris, Celebration Halted

I honestly think Parisians just look for an excuse to riot...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:37 am

You don't have to stop at the borders of Paris. It seems all of France is ready to protest and riot at the drop of an franc.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:44 am

BigJon@Work wrote:You don't have to stop at the borders of Paris. It seems all of France is ready to protest and riot at the drop of an franc.

Wouldn't that be the 'drop of a Euro'? I thought they'd dropped the Franc. :roll:
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:20 pm

I'm gonna riot to protest you . . .
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:45 pm

Just wait until it gets to San Francisco! They already had some protesters up on the Golden Gate bridge today hanging banners. They were later arrested and the banners removed. There is a huge rally of 100,000 people planned for the torch route with the idea being to wrest it away from the carrier to extinguish it.

For me, I think China has a long way to go to demonstrate to the world that it is ready to be seated with the adults. I am not sure that destroying the olympic torch tradition is the way to deal with that. If people were so concerned about China's behavior, the Olympics should not have been awarded in the first place. Hopefully the games will work to pry open China's dirty little secrets and force them to adopt human rights standards that the rest of the developed world has.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:12 pm

I see the torch arrived in San Francisco. That's a pretty quick trip from Paris to Frisco. I thought it was supposed to meander its a way to China, not jet around the world.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:37 pm

Shapley wrote:I see the torch arrived in San Francisco. That's a pretty quick trip from Paris to Frisco. I thought it was supposed to meander its a way to China, not jet around the world.

Yeah...I know...me too :?: :?

I heard a snippet on the radio this AM that the thing that arrived isn't the actual "torch" but rather the "flame" to light (or keep lit) the torch. Get this...it "flys" in it's own special container so as to allow it to stay lit, but not be a danger aboard an airplane etc. There are 200 people that have to accompany it (God knows why), and "it" has its own hotel room...where ever that may be.

Can you spell boondoggle? :shock: :? :roll:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:40 pm

Prometheus would be proud.

I believe in previous Olympics they 'bounced' the flame off a satelite to light the flame holder on another continent. I guess that wasn't acceptable this time around.

Was the plane called the 'Chariot of Fire"?

Perhaps the 200 attendants are the "Creatures Of Prometheus".
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:48 pm

Shapley wrote:Prometheus would be proud.

I believe in previous Olympics they 'bounced' the flame off a satelite to light the flame holder on another continent. I guess that wasn't acceptable this time around.

Was the plane called the 'Chariot of Fire"?

Perhaps the 200 attendants are the "Creatures Of Prometheus".

The origins of the flame from Greece to the Olympic venue was devised by a German during the 1936 Olympics and was primarily based on the paganism so popular in Nazi German at the time. The idea was that 3,000 youths, examples of "Aryan purity," would carry the torch from Greece 3,000KM to Berlin.

Not an origin to be proud of.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:42 pm

I wasn't aware of that.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:52 pm

For some time now, the Olympics have been a propaganda extravaganza loosely hung around a display of top-notch athletics. I'll be giving most of it a miss.

I still get annoyed at the recitation of the mantra "the important thing is not to have won, but to have taken part". Who remembers the also-rans? Or even the second place-getters?

My high school headmaster was very fond of that mantra. Every Monday morning, he read out the deeds of the First XV (rugby) or the First XI (cricket) according to the season. Occasionally the Seconds were mentioned, about twice I think in 5 years, and nobody else's efforts were ever acknowledged.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:00 am

According to Wikipedia, this will be the longest torch relay yet, with the flame traveling 137,000 miles (mostly by air), and employing nearl 22,000 torch-bearers. Even if it had been born of noble birth, it's certainly become an absurd custom.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:41 am

The custom may well stop as a result of the protests. San Francisco is braced for chaos today as the torch relay begins (around 1:00PM, I think). There are protests all over the city and lots of streets are blocked off today. I can see (from my office) AT&T park where the festivities begin. Interviews of protesters indicate that their objective will be to tackle the runners and extinguish the flame.

I have never stood in the way of anyone's right to protest, but that's the wrong way to do it and hopefully violence will be avoided...or at least stopped.

Gavin Newsom (Mayor) indicates that the city has many plans to avoid confrontation inlcuding changing-up on the route at the last minute. There was also an idea to hold the relay inside of AT&T park where crowds could be controlled. Last report was that the Chinese were considering cancelling the rest of the torch relay.

Wondering what my commute home through the city will be like tonight....
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:05 pm

Strike a torch and run home to protest the protests and wear a Tibetan shirt. :neener:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:32 pm

jamiebk wrote:The custom may well stop as a result of the protests. San Francisco is braced for chaos today as the torch relay begins (around 1:00PM, I think). There are protests all over the city and lots of streets are blocked off today. I can see (from my office) AT&T park where the festivities begin. Interviews of protesters indicate that their objective will be to tackle the runners and extinguish the flame.

I have never stood in the way of anyone's right to protest, but that's the wrong way to do it and hopefully violence will be avoided...or at least stopped.

Gavin Newsom (Mayor) indicates that the city has many plans to avoid confrontation inlcuding changing-up on the route at the last minute. There was also an idea to hold the relay inside of AT&T park where crowds could be controlled. Last report was that the Chinese were considering cancelling the rest of the torch relay.

Wondering what my commute home through the city will be like tonight....

Two thoughts

1. That's...soooo San Francisco-ish

2. BIC lighter, Beijing, flick

(Ed. "Right, they can start a new tradition, mailing a BIC lighter from Greece to the venue, China can get them a good deal on BIC's wholesale")
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:26 pm

Just saw a headline that "Oh-mama" was urging Bush to boycott the Olympics. :shock: What Olympic event is GWB going to be participating in? I didn't know he was in training! I have new respect for George now. Could it be "pooh-flinging" (a natural primate ability)? :roll:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed May 21, 2008 9:06 am

Fishermen Clash With Paris Police

Mr. Sarkozy is forging ahead with economic reforms, despite protest from French unions.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:20 pm

Bridgette Bardot alleges muslims are destroying France by slaughtering sheep during the feast of Aid el-Kebir. (she is more of an animal rights activist than "muslim activist")...hmm, we need a turban-wearin' emoticon.

http://www.charter.net/news/news_reader ... feedid=241
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:26 am

Serenity wrote:hmm, we need a turban-wearin' emoticon.

Bit of a risk taker aren't you? :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:39 am

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team