2ND Amendment Ruling Due in 2008

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: 2ND Amendment Ruling Due in 2008

Postby Serenity » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:55 am

Yeah, I buy movies I like but I never watch them again. Can't seem to find the time to watch them. Someday, when I'm retired and have nothing better to do............
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:12 am

Serenity wrote:Yeah, I buy movies I like but I never watch them again. Can't seem to find the time to watch them. Someday, when I'm retired and have nothing better to do............

by which time DVD's will be as obsolete as 8-tracks are today, and you'll have nothing to watch them on...

I have the full 5-hour vesion of Das Boot waiting to be viewed. I can't recall when I've had five hours to devote to television viewing...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:18 am

The kids, on the other hand, watch the same movie over and over again, everyday for several weeks. Of course, they'll have it on and walk away on the boring parts and run back on the exciting parts. After the exciting part is over, the littlest will run around the house fast; I think he is re-enacting the scene in his mind (the Hulk running across the sand dunes or Spiderman webbing his way around New York while being chased by villains). :flex:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:22 am

I have a large library of classical CD's, yet every evening I seem to sit down to one of a limited number I listen to over and over (Vivaldi Concerti, Mahler Symphonies, René Gruss, etc.)

Someday, I'll listen to them all.... :roll:
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:58 am

There comes a time when a collector collects simply to expand the collection. I arrived at that point with my records about 30 years ago.
:oops:

That being said, I DO listen to records. But assuming my age makes it to triple digits, I'm dead certain there are hundreds of LPs in my collection that I won't listen to. But then, I haven't told myself that I need to.

Anyone need a near-mint copy of DSOTM? I think I have four (original LP, audiophile half-speed master, quadraphonic, and 20th anniversary CD).

Boy, did THIS topic ever get hijacked!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:17 am

Well, I'll stick my guns on DVD purchases. (There, does that qualify as being 'on topic'?) :)

On a similar note, I have a large collection (over 200) of beer steins. Mostly Anhueser-Busch, but others as well. I've probably drank beer out of three of them. I used to have them proudly displayed in my apartment, but when I got married, they were relegated to a basement shelf, many of them still in the boxes. :(

My wife keeps after me to sell them. I keep thinking I'll build a bar in the basement and restore them to display shelves, although I know that bar will probably never exist, except on paper (I've designed about a dozen variations on it.)

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:29 pm

I have about 50,000 baseball cards. I haven't looked at them since about 1994, the year after I got married. Hmmmmmm, wonder if there is a correlation. :?:
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:44 pm

I've worn every pair of earrings I own, except for the single pair bought specifically to wear if and when I graduate with a PhD. Odds are good those will remain pristine.

If I dont wear a pair of shoes within a week of buying them, I generally return them.

My husband has wine glasses - oy! I think they've all been used at least once, tho.

He collects stereo components. I lost count, but its several shelves in both house and garage.
Oh yeah, and as mentioned before, baby motility devices (2 prams, 2 strollers and a bike trailer/stroller).
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:14 pm

I don't feel so bad now.

I've got several hundred shaving mugs, mostly English shuttles but several very nice coffee mug style, no occupationals; just too expensive.

Fountain pens: 100 -150 old ones, mostly Parkers, 99% still in working order. When I used to work for a living I use to carry several favorites.

Ball point pens: Parker 75s, many styles, sterling silver, lacquers, gold, I just love them. Google "Parker 75 ball points" on Ebay and see what I mean.

Stamps: Complete U.S. airmails, including C-13 - 15 Zeppelins, all mint never hinged. Two complete UN collection also mint, never hinged. A world-class collection of Farleys, my favorites, including sheets, numbered blocks and centerline blocks. All of the Columbians (alas, mostly used or hinged mint)

Books: Where do I start? First editions of all of Kipling, James Herriot and a few other collections. All of O. Henry (sadly in boxes in the attic) Many need to go to Ebay
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:57 pm

analog wrote:I know guys who own scores of guns.

I know a lady who owns nearly a hundred pairs of shoes.

I have about a dozen outboard motors.

'Tis a fine madness. To each his own.

Me, I have baskets full of as-yet-unused beautiful fabric. And a modest yarn stash.
You're right. To each cat, his own rat.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:04 pm

My cravings are books and music....sorry, music and books, in that order.
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu May 29, 2008 9:12 am

Another mass shooting stopped by a carry permit holder:

In the small town of Winnemucca Nevada a man bent on performing a mass shooting at a bar was stopped by an armed CCW permit holder who happened to be in the right place at the right time. The alleged mass murderer had already killed two victims & had injured two others with gunshot wounds, but while he was reloading he was shot & killed by an armed CCW permit holder who was also at the bar.

I predict that we will see more and more of these (despite the MSM’s attempt to downplay or demonize the lawfully armed citizen) as more and more states move to allow CCW .

Actually the MSM has already done a pretty good job ignoring the practice and downplaying news to such an extent that I suspect that most readers here aren’t aware that 39 states already have “shall issue” laws, in which that state can only refuse to issue a permit if there’s reason to, not on a whim.

In addition nine other states have "may issue" or "discretionary issue" laws. These "may issue" states range from "shall issue" in practice, such as Alabama, Connecticut and Iowa; to "at the whim of local officials", such as New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and California, where rural officials liberally issue permits but urban officials seldom do.

Vermont and Alaska permit unlicense carrying as a fundamental right.

That only leaves Hawaii and Maryland among the "almost non-issue" / "never-issue." Ironically Hawaii state law allows for the issuance of permits but officials choose not to issue them under any circumstances.

As of 2006, two states, Wisconsin and Illinois, and Washington D.C. have no provision for legal concealed-carry. Wisconsin and Illinois routinely propose legislation allowing CCW but rountinely turn it down. DC’s ban is going to the Supreme Court this summer.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Thu May 29, 2008 10:53 pm

• Firearms are the most commonly used method of
suicide among males (56.8%) (CDC 2005).
• Poisoning is the most common method of suicide for
females (37.8%) (CDC 2005).

• Suicide is the second leading cause of death among
25-34 year olds and the third leading cause of death
among 15- and 24-year olds (CDC 2005).
• Among 15- to 24-year olds, suicide accounts for 12.9%
of all deaths annually (CDC 2005).
• The rate of suicide for adults aged 65 years and older
was 14.3 per 100,000 (CDC 2005).

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/dvp/suicide/Su ... aSheet.pdf
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:15 am

I ran across this online - I really need to get some work. I'm spending WAY too much time onlne!

I’m guessing that you can tell a lot about a person by their reaction to this ad.

That was then, to understate the case. These days we’ve done away with these dangerous violent antisocial pseudo-guns, and replaced them with happy shooters like Nerf guns and Supersoakers and other items whose makers encourage you to point them at your friends.

This does not seem like an improvement, if you ask me.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:51 pm

I wish i knew what year this ad came out. I think smoke should come out of the end of the barrel. i want to know more about the images floating in the background clouds and what they represent. Maybe the boy should be a little more aggressive and be portrayed blowing a communist enemy's brains out or putting a favored pet out of its misery with a big smile on his face. :roll:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:33 pm

It's an ad for a Daisy. Air rifle. They didn't smoke. You pumped up the air chamber and shot BBs out the end of the barrel. The pictures are appropriate to the common games boys played; buffalo hunter, stagecoach driver, Pilgrim, Mountain Man. The usual targets were made of cardboard and poster paint, or empty tin cans, or tree stumps. Fence posts plus cardboard and poster paint were evidence of an organized game in progress.

Kids commonly started agitating for a Daisy about the age of 8, often achieved this ambition around the age of 10, and frequently moved on to a .22 at about 14. None of my acquaintances ever shot their eye out. :grin:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:55 pm

Is this equivalent to the BB Rider Gun that the kid in Christmas Story wanted so badly?
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:53 am

haggis@wk wrote:I’m guessing that you can tell a lot about a person by their reaction to this ad.

Serenity wrote:I wish i knew what year this ad came out. I think smoke should come out of the end of the barrel. i want to know more about the images floating in the background clouds and what they represent. Maybe the boy should be a little more aggressive and be portrayed blowing a communist enemy's brains out or putting a favored pet out of its misery with a big smile on his face. :roll:

yup.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:12 am

I think I got my 22 when I was 11 or 12, because I know I had it in Michigan, and I turned 13 after we moved to California. I know I was really happy to get a single-shot, bolt-action rifle, but it did put me at a disadvantage at the indoor range when they had timed shoots.

Never had a Daisy, though. :cry:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:48 pm

barfle wrote:I think I got my 22 when I was 11 or 12, because I know I had it in Michigan, and I turned 13 after we moved to California. I know I was really happy to get a single-shot, bolt-action rifle, but it did put me at a disadvantage at the indoor range when they had timed shoots.

Never had a Daisy, though. :cry:

I was fourteen (good guess Selma!) but I had attended the NRA shooting and safeth class when I was 12 and my father let me squirrel hunt with him with a single shot 16 ga. shotgun and my Mother's single shot .22. My .22 was a Remington tube fed bolt action with a 4X scope. It sat in the closet in my parents home for 30 years after I left home. Everytime I visited I could tell that Dad had cleaned it. I think he gave it to the local NRA to be used for training before he died in 2000.

I never pointed it or any other firearm at anyone I didn't intend to shoot; still don't.

Never had a BB gun, Dad didn't like them and thought they were dangerous because they were considered toys and he say that when I was old enough, I'd get a real gun. Heck, it took Mom to intervene before he'd let me have cap guns!!

but I also have a few antique inherited firearms.

The first is a .38 Colt my grandfather used when he was town marshal of Wilmar AR. I still have his badge and the pistol. I've never fired it since it has a slight bend in the barrel; family history alleges that occurred when it was used as a club to subdue an unruly field hand one Saturday night.

The other is a 1911 .45 Colt automatic that my father “liberated” after the war. (Not the 1911A1, but the original 1911). He had started his military service in the Arkansas National Guard and I suspect that was were he got it. It is the very first model of the .45 that was issued to the military and I still have his field guide showing how to fire it from horse back! It has a four-digit serial number and my research indicates it was produced in 1913.

The 1911s were known as the “thumb smasher” because of the long spur on the hammer would hurt the web of the shooter’s hand if his hand wasn’t properly positioned; I know because I still have a faint scar on the web of my right hand. I haven’t fired it since the 70’s but it was a damn accurate piece then.

I also have Dad’s Pacific ribbons and his Bronze Star Medal. He got the medal as an infantry officer in Okinawa. He had initially carried the M1 Carbine when he first got there but during a Banzai attack he emptied an entire magazine into a charging Japanese infantryman and had to draw his .45 and fire it before the soldier was stopped.

He told me that when he went back to report to the Company Commander he threw the carbine on a pile of surplus weapons and picked up the cleanest M1 Garand he could find and used either that or a .12 GA pump shotgun the rest of the time he was in combat.

He said the only criteria he had for a personal weapon was “I EXPECTED the son of a bitch to STOP the Japanese, not to piss them off more than they already were!”

The rest of his life whenever he saw an M1 Carbine on TV or in a movie he always snorted in disgust. I don’t even think he knew he was doing it; it was just his reflex on the reliability of a weapon that let him down, the ultimate insult to an infantryman.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to The Debate Team