Oh woe is me....

The place to post questions and share helpful technical information or with other Beethoven.com community members about listening to Beethoven Radio.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Oh woe is me....

Postby jamiebk » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:47 pm

:cry: :cry: after months of being able to listen to the B.com through WMP, my company has finally found a way to take away the one thing that has brightened my day. I can't launch the B.com WMP stream any more. Strangely though, there are other web stations that utilize the WMP for streaming and I CAN launch them. For instance WETA out of DC.

Can anyone think of a reason why B.com would be different? Can anyone think of a way that I might find a way around this? As it stands, Friday is my only work from home day, so I may become a "Friday only" listener if I can't find a way to fix/override this. Any help/suggestions from the tekkies would be greatly appreciated. I can PM anyone with some of the things I've tried so far, but I'd rather not post her for fear that big brother is watching :pray: :cry:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:01 pm

that bites...

there has to be a way to get "around" this.....

I hope it works out....
Don't know what I would do if I couldn't listen to b.com here at work...

good luck...

TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby navneeth » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:58 am

Have you tried the other stream?
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:30 am

Unfortunately I find my ability to get the stream to be very spotty at the office. Sometimes I can, other times I can't, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason, beyond some vague policy statement (which they violate by sending me links almost every day).

I have a fairly decent collection of ripped music on my hard drive, so it's not as though I have to suffer in silence, but I do miss the occasional banter, not to mention hearing new stuff from time to time.

If there's a policy statement, I'm not sure what you can do about it except try every day to see if what the IT department has done to block the stream has been fixed or expired. If there isn't a policy statement, contact the IT department and ask them.

Not to mention outrageously spotty ability to post messages. This one took three tries and over ten minutes to go through.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:03 am

When I launch B.com, (and thus get the restriction) the web link is as follows: http://release.theplatform.com/content. ... deNPmOJsKp

I don't know what "release the platform.com" is, but this site is blocked for us. Perhaps someone at B.com has an alternate weblink that I might use?
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:08 am

I did a search for "Release.theplatform.com" and it led me, among other sites, to this one:

http://www.beethoven.com/linktous.htm

Apparently a site B.com make availabe to website owners to offer the link.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:17 am

Thanks Shap, but that only links back to the "release theplatform.com" site that seems to be tripping my company's firewall. I was hoping that there was an alternate site...or even a numerical website refernece that might slip through.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:39 am

Sorry, I can't help. I don't usually use WMP. I did open it and search for Beethoven.com through the radio browser, but it doesn't turn up. I can open it that way in Real Player, but not WMP.

You might try dumping your temperary files. There may be a cookie somewhere that's tripping things up. That has helped me a couple of times when Realplayer gave me trouble. I'm no computer whiz, so I can't explain the mechanism behind it. It's sort of like kicking it in the side, I think.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:20 am

Shapley wrote: I did open it and search for Beethoven.com through the radio browser, but it doesn't turn up.

Strange...I actually discovered B.com that way. But that was over a year ago. While on Windows, I used the Real stream, which worked pretty well.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby CLarsen » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:40 am

Hi Ya'll,

We're working on getting re-listed on the WMP Radio site. No one knows why they yanked us unfortunately.
Jamie, One thing you can try that will work for now (we're making changes to the stream soon) is http://www.beethoven.com/beethoven_ad.asx and that might let you listen. Give it a shot and let us know. Thanks!
Sincerely,
Chris Larsen
IT Manager
Beethoven Radio :scooter:
CLarsen
Conductor

Postby jamiebk » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:32 am

Well by crackey, that new fangled web address seemed to do the trick, although I am working from home today and will need to try it at work to be sure. It worked on my remote application without tripping the big blue "Restricted Site" banner so that's a good sign. Thanks Chris. you may have just saved my sanity there. :bow:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:56 am

Whoooo Hooooo! Back to being a loyal B.com listener. Thanks a bunch Chris. You done magic!
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Re: Oh woe is me....

Postby jamiebk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:18 pm

Well gang. Disaster has struck once again. My company has "found" B.com and officially blocked the whole B.com site. I have tried everything I know to get around the firewall, but nothing works. I tried a few other stations and most are blocked now. I found one that worked so at least I have something. However, at least for working hours I am officially off of the BBB and I can no longer get any stream, 128K or otherwise. It's all locked down with a very nasty "violation" banner that appears if I try to log on in any manner.

This will put a serious crimp in my ability to banter with you all on the BBB (That's probably not bad news for some of you :lol: ). I will really really miss being a part of the daily chat board. Fridays are my work at home days so at least I can listen in and contribute then. Unfortunately I will be relegated to evenings, holidays, weekends and any work from home days. I miss hearing the stream and the requests. I'll keep my subscription to the 128 stream for Fridays I guess. :cry: :cry:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:58 pm

Did they say specifically why they blocked it? Did you ask them? Are you not allowed to listen to any internet radio to block out office chatter at the cubicle farm? Can you access via a different web browser like Firefox or Maxthon? Do you have Windows Media Player? You can get to Beethoven Radio via WMP. Have you tried e-mailing Chris to get around IT's roadblocks? Can you bring your home laptop to work and plug it in just to listen while you work off your office computer? Can you claim that you need classical music to keep your emotions in check? :wink:

I guess they did eliminate the station from WMP.......but wait, if they blocked off www dot beethoven dot com, try typing this in your url:

http://players.eonstreams.com/FastAim/P ... yerID=1029
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:23 pm

Jamie,

Try also www dot wtmi dot com

And www dot wcccam dot com
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:31 am

Serenity,

The "WTMI" and "WCCCAM" links worked to get to the bulletim board. However, I can't seem to log in on the "member's screens". I can't launch the streams. At least I can check in once in a while on the BBB. I really miss the stream. This is like going deaf when everyone else can hear.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby treebeau » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:01 am

Sounds like your company isn't "leaving it better than they found it".
You'd think that they would want happy employees. For a few years I found that my former company didn't care about happy employees. They kept putting road blocks on the information superhighway. And more processed in place to slow down progress. Then laid off people and redistributed the workload. I think it was all a ploy to get people to leave voluntarily.

Regards,
Tim B.
treebeau
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:19 am

Does the free stream work?
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:48 am

None of the streams work. I either can't connect or get the big blue "Violation" page from our company
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:58 am

Jamie,
Not sure if this will work but it may be worth a shot..

Does your company allow "PC Anywhere"?
We use it occassionally from home to access work...

If they do allow it.. maybe you can use it in "Reverse"

Access your home computer from your work computer... and bring up the b.com site
via your home computer...

just a thought..

Regards,
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Next

Return to Helping Hand