The New Global Warming?

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

The New Global Warming?

Postby GreatCarouser » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Feel free to move this into one of the existing threads if you think it belongs there.

By now most of you have probably run across Researcher warns of brain cancer risk from cellphones stories in one form or another. What do you think? Why this much play for something based on 'unpublished data' from someone who seems to be 'respected' in his field? And why the rather public, widespread alarm?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Re: The New Global Warming?

Postby Shapley » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:45 pm

I think the concern has been around for some time. I don't think people are quite won over to the research that says cell phones are safe, so they're watching for any signs that they may not be.

So now, we have somewhat of an authority on cancer speaking out about the possible link. Some people are going to accept his advise and be cautious.

I've always tried to minimize the use of my cell phone, for a variety of reasons, the potential for a cancer link being one of them, the annoyance being the biggest.

As the article has suggested, if the link exists, kids are subject to the greatest risk (as they are with all radiation exposure). They're also likely to use their phones a lot (they don't usually pay the bill, and they are social animals). Best to keep the kids off them as much as possible, for safety's sake. IMHO
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby analog » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:31 pm

Any of you biochemist types know?

Seems to me from high school physics that cellphone wavelengths are too long to push electrons out of metal, takes something like 10^14 hz to do that,

which is pretty well above communication frequencies,,

Is it easier to break DNA bonds?
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:48 pm

Shapley wrote:I think the concern has been around for some time. I don't think people are quite won over to the research that says cell phones are safe, so they're watching for any signs that they may not be.

So now, we have somewhat of an authority on cancer speaking out about the possible link. Some people are going to accept his advise and be cautious.

I've always tried to minimize the use of my cell phone, for a variety of reasons, the potential for a cancer link being one of them, the annoyance being the biggest.

As the article has suggested, if the link exists, kids are subject to the greatest risk (as they are with all radiation exposure). They're also likely to use their phones a lot (they don't usually pay the bill, and they are social animals). Best to keep the kids off them as much as possible, for safety's sake. IMHO

Use a Bluetooth...it's easier and the phone is usually several feet away...out of reach of those nasty microwaves.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:04 pm

jamiebk wrote:Use a Bluetooth...it's easier and the phone is usually several feet away...out of reach of those nasty microwaves.

Nah! I have enough trouble dealing with the voices already in my head. I don't want to give them company..... :crazy:

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:21 am

Shapley wrote:
jamiebk wrote:Use a Bluetooth...it's easier and the phone is usually several feet away...out of reach of those nasty microwaves.

Nah! I have enough trouble dealing with the voices already in my head. I don't want to give them company..... :crazy:

V/R
Shapley

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
----------------------------------
I use a bluetooth :mrgreen:
The problem I have is remembering to turn it off when I arrive somewhere,,,,
I receive or make a call and I cannot hear anything as I'm using the phone and
the transmission is going through the bluetooth..... :dunce: :dunce:

oh ... and as to cell phones,,,, causing cancer,,, I think it's like anything else..
too much is bad for you........

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:19 pm

I minimize the use of a cellphone at my ear for just that reason. I'm not sure Bluetooth headsets are an ideal solution when you are walking around since some other part of your body is taking the high-energy hit.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:07 pm

BigJon@Work wrote:I minimize the use of a cellphone at my ear for just that reason. I'm not sure Bluetooth headsets are an ideal solution when you are walking around since some other part of your body is taking the high-energy hit.

BigJon,

I don't use my cell phone that much.
It is really for emergencies and quick communications.

I wear the bluetooth when driving....
and only wear the cell phone on my belt
while mobile. I take the cell phone off and put it in a standing holder
when not using it. If it rings and I miss the call... well that's what Voice Mail is for....

Regards,
TM
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby BigJon@Work » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:03 pm

'bout the best you can do.

I was thinking about this driving in this morning. My Favorite Martian got it right. When the Martian character played by Ray Walston needed to do anything requiring high energy radio waves, he would extend his antennae about six inches above his head to prevent damage to his delicate cell structure while transmitting. I’m going to invent a cell phone antenna that duplicates the alien technology to keep us puny humans healthy.
"I am a 12 foot lizard." GCR Jan 31, 2006
BigJon@Work
2nd Chair

Postby Serenity[bot] » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:11 pm

Static Offline = Static Online
Serenity[bot]
5th Chair

Return to The Debate Team