The Symphony Orchestra Thread

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

The Symphony Orchestra Thread

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:39 am

I think this has been tried before, but I thought I'd revive the effort.

This thread is for posting links to schedules for your local symphony orchestra. It occured to me when I posted the link to the North State Symphony that many of us may not be familiar with some of the orchestras in our area. Perhaps linking them here will help us find them.

For example, while most of us are familiar with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, I was only recently made aware that the Southeast Missouri Symphony Orchestra was located right here in town, or that the Paducah Symphony Orchestra and the Southern Illinois Symphony Orchestra were less than an hour away.

You can also post links to fledgling orchestras, such as the Nevada Symphony Orchestra, as a way of getting the word our that they are forming (or trying to form).

Nicole, It may be a good idea to write to these orchestras and try to get them to 'buy a link' to B.com. Perhaps you could expand the "Beethoven's Backyard" theme into a "Beethoven's Neighborhood", with links to concert schedules worldwide. It may the means to generate a little revenue for both B.com and the orchestras. Not to belittle your fine advertisers, but you are broadcasting worldwide, your advertising should reflect that. I think Jamie and people in his neighborhood are far more likely to buy tickets to the North State Symphony than they are to buy storm windows from some guy in Hartford.

V/R
Shapley

P.S. I would consider starting a similar thread for chamber groups. However, since most of those groups hire themselves out as performering groups, I'm afraid it would run afoul of bulletin board rules on advertising. I think links to orchestras, and perhaps to opera companies, will be safe to link as a public service in promoting the arts. Nicole, could we get a ruling????
Last edited by Shapley on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Re: The Symphony Orchestra Thread

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:57 am

Here is the Missouri Symphony Orchestra, in Columbia, MO.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:20 am

And the Kansas City Symphony Orchestra, as well as the Nasville Symphony Orchestra and the Memphis Symphony Orchestra, all within a few hours of here.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:59 pm

The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra will be performing Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings Symphony this September. Looks like it's time for a trip up North!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:40 am

I ordered my tickets yesterday. Looking forwarding to hearing Shore's Lord of the Rings Symphoy at last!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 am

I want to go too, Shap! Bit of a hike from upstate NY however.

Here's the http://www.rpo.org/s_1/Concerts_and_Events/ (Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra Concerts and Events)

And symphony orchestra in my hometown - Penfield, NY - http://www.penfieldsymphony.org/performances.html
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:52 pm

Schmeelkie wrote:I want to go too, Shap! Bit of a hike from upstate NY however.

I googled directions, and Google thinks you can make the 806 miles to St. Louis in twelve-and-a-half hours, or so. I have found Google's time estimates to be on the conservative side, you can beat that driving time. So:
1. Buy tickets.
2. Throw good clothes and 3 sets of comfortable clothes in the trunk.
3. Call in sick.
4. Drop kids off at mother, MIL, auntie - whoever's closest.
5. Kidnap husband. (He can call in sick from the road.)

It's worth the hike to kidnap the husband, abandon the kids, and enjoy a road trip once every few years.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:49 am

Yes, by all means, come on down! It's not like you can hear this work on CD. I'm sure all of the music in the symphony is included in the soundtrack(s), but the symphony itself has not been released on disk.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:51 pm

I attended the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra’s performance of Howard Shore’s Lord of the Rings Symphony last night at the Powell Symphony Hall in St. Louis. It was one of the most enjoyable listening experiences I’ve had in a long time. Joining the Orchestra for the performance were the St. Louis Symphony Chorus, the St. Louis Children’s Choir & Concert Choir.

The work itself is divided into six movements, corresponding with the six ‘books’ of Tolkein’s novel. I’m not certain ‘movements’ is the correct term. The program notes list them as parts, although the advertisement and the two-page detail sheet handed out with the program list them as ‘movements’. Being a symphony, I was not expecting to applaud between movements. Lest you think me a heathen, it seems the rest of the audience was not expecting to, either. When the first movement ended, rather abruptly I might add, there was a lengthy pause. The conductor, Mr. Ludwig Wicki stood at the podium, baton raised, staring at the now-silent symphony, who in turn stared back at him. An occasional cough broke the uneasy silence. Eventually, someone broke into applause, and the entire audience joined in. At this point, Mr. Wicki took a bow and, as the applause died down, began the second movement.

A word, however, about the first movement, and the symphony in general. A projection screen was placed above the orchestra, which provided the audience and the conductor a steady stream of still images of illustrations from Tolkhein’s novel. This were mostly pen-and-ink sketches of various scenes, interspersed with an image of the map of Middle Earth. They were not scenes from the film. The conductor watched this board as the symphony progressed, as did we in the audience. At the finish of the first movement, A Knife in the Dark, the screen suddenly went blank, and the conductor stopped, baton aloft. It almost appeared as if a screen malfunction had halted the performance. There was no smooth ending. It was, I suppose, intended to end as swiftly and unexpectedly as a knife in the dark, and it did, catching the audience by surprise. Perhaps they were waiting for the resumption of the movement following projection repairs. I tend to believe, however, that they did not anticipate the expectation that they were supposed to applaud between movements. I believe such applause was fashionable in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, but I don’t believe it to be normal now. In fact, Beethoven and others did not include a pause between movements to allow time for such a distraction.

Nonetheless, the second movement began and was performed beautifully. However, if the first movement ended abruptly, the second ended anything but. The movement was, by my estimation, about thirty-five to forty minutes long. The fiery Bridge at Khazad-Dum appearing about halfway through the piece, followed by the more tranquil pieces Lothlorien, Gandalf’s Lament, Farewell to Lorien, The Great River, and \The Breaking of the Fellowship. Each of these pieces included a finality that lured one into the sense that the movement was ending, only to be followed by the next. The true finale, however, was marked by the song In Dreams, sung by boy soprano Gilman Plitt. The applause that followed was very enthusiastic.

An intermission followed the second movement, which was quite welcome. The first and second movements together lasted a little over an hour.

After the intermission, There was tremendous applause as the soprano Kaitlyn Lusk took her place, followed by Mr. Wicki. The nineteen-year-old Ms. Lusk has a beautiful voice, and has, according to the notes, been a featured soloist in perfromances of the Lord of the Rings Symphony since the fall of 2004. I can understand why. I was overwhelmed by her singing.

Movements three of four were beautifully performed. Ms. Lusk’s performance of Gollum’s Song at the end of the fourth movement was absolutely flawless. Had Mr. Shore selected her to perform that song on the original soundtrack, rather than Emiliana Torrini, I would not have found it necessary to fast forward past the song when listening to the soundtrack.

The audience, apparently fearful of another social faux pax, was very quick to applaud the end of each movement now. Too enthusiastic, in fact, as half the audience committed yet another when they broke into applause during a two-second pause between The Return of the King and The Grey Havens during the sixth movement. When the sixth movement was ended, however, with a breathtaking performance of Into the West by Ms. Lusk, the performance was followed by the longest standing ovation of which I have ever had the priviledge of being a part.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:42 am

The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra will be performing Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 19 and Mahler's Symphony No. 9 this weekend.

I have a strong inclination to attend, but I don't see how I can fit it into the schedule. But it is Mahler, schedules can be changed........ :crazy:
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:17 pm

Shapley wrote:The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra will be performing Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 19 and Mahler's Symphony No. 9 this weekend.

I have a strong inclination to attend, but I don't see how I can fit it into the schedule. But it is Mahler, schedules can be changed........ :crazy:

Shapley...

For Mahler... YES... Schedules change!!!

:mrgreen: :flex:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:10 pm

The San Francisco Symphony is doing Mahler's 8th..."The Symphony of 1000". I surely wish I could be there. http://www.sfsymphony.org/season/calendar.aspx Unfortunately, my dance card is full.

It promises to be an epic event!
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:57 pm

jamiebk wrote:The San Francisco Symphony is doing Mahler's 8th..."The Symphony of 1000". I surely wish I could be there. http://www.sfsymphony.org/season/calendar.aspx Unfortunately, my dance card is full.

The Symphony of 1000 doesn't leave much room for the audience..... :)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:24 pm

Shapley wrote:
jamiebk wrote:The San Francisco Symphony is doing Mahler's 8th..."The Symphony of 1000". I surely wish I could be there. http://www.sfsymphony.org/season/calendar.aspx Unfortunately, my dance card is full.

The Symphony of 1000 doesn't leave much room for the audience..... :)

That's not far from the truth! :rofl: There are three choirs plus the full augmented orchestra
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:39 am

I'm afraid I have to miss it. Saturday will not work, leaving only Friday available. This being deer hunting season, too many people are out of the office for me to take off early enough to make the drive to St. Louis.

The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra's website has been unavailable for some reason. I was trying to check to see if any additional Mahler Symphonies were on the schedule this year.

They'll be performing here in Cape Girardeau in February. I've told the wife she has to attend with me, since I'm having to attend a Tony Orlando concert with her this December. :roll: :rofl:
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:51 am

I was able to get to their site through Google. Apparently, the link in 'My Favourites' is faulty. No further Mahler in the schedule, :curse:, but Beethoven's 9th will finish out the season this Spring. I should be able to work that into the schedule.

It seems they've changed their address from http://www.Saintlouissymphony.org to http://www.slso.org. I've updated my 'Favourites' link. New icon, too.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:46 pm

Shapley,
maybe this will draw her out? 50% off on Mahler, Dec 5-7, San Diego Symphony.
http://vacations.travelzoo.com/vacation ... mail_top20
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:57 pm

That won't turn her head, but my interest is piqued....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:31 pm

Heading to the Symphony tomorrow. Nice line-up!

Bruno Ferrandis, conductor
Kymry Esainko, piano
Santa Rosa Symphony Honor Choir
Jenni Samuelson, soprano
Bonnie Brooks, mezzo-soprano
Scott Whitaker, tenor
Hugh Davies, baritone

HAYDN: Symphony No. 94, Surprise
BACH: Piano Concerto in D minor
HAYDN: Lord Nelson Mass
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:10 am

Sounds like an excellent evening. Enjoy!
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Next

Return to Musical Notes