Ballet

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Ballet

Postby jamiebk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:24 am

I did not see a thread in here on this and since B.com plays a lot of ballet music thought it was worth a shot. Anyway, today a friend sent me an email with this link to a short "Swan Lake" The video quality is so-so, but I think you'll be somewhat amazed as I was to see these "dancers". It's anything but traditional. Hang with this or fast forward through the frogs and watch the swans...
http://www.sonnyradio.com/swanlake_0001.swf :jump: :jump:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Re: Ballet

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:56 am

Oh, wow. :amazed: And my hip surgeon thought I was too flexible...
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:31 am

oh my!
I am so impressed that the male dancer can be so steady with what has to be quite painful!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:23 pm

Presumably the lead ballerina is as light as she looks, but even so, the man's tolerance of pain must be very high. All for art, presumably. The girls' ability is spectacular, too. En pointe like that must take some doing.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:02 pm

That was very impressive.

When I was in Branson, MO recently, we saw the New Shanghai Circus. Among the acts was ballet routine by two girls wearing roller skates on a very small table. It was quite impressive, but I think the Swan Lake really outshines it.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:31 am

dai bread wrote:Presumably the lead ballerina is as light as she looks, but even so, the man's tolerance of pain must be very high. All for art, presumably. The girls' ability is spectacular, too. En pointe like that must take some doing.

Ballerinas are all heavier than they look. They're made up of nothing but bone and lots of very, very hard muscle - extremely dense stuff. And yes, the dancing about on the toes is notoriously bad for feet. Lots of feet problems.

I was very impressed that the male dancer moved around to keep the swan balanced perfectly on about three square inches of his shoulder - looking perfectly unconcerned and calm while she was "flying". :wow:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:53 am

dai bread wrote:Presumably the lead ballerina is as light as she looks, but even so, the man's tolerance of pain must be very high. All for art, presumably. The girls' ability is spectacular, too. En pointe like that must take some doing.

You do realize the the end of 'pointe' ballet slippers are basically a block of wood with a bit of satin over it. Not so good for any ballerina's toes, but must be nasty painful for the guy's shoulders and head! And don't let the prettiness of a ballerina fool you - they're all muscle as Selma said. As a child I wanted to be a ballerina - but I had neither the body type or physical ability....and too many years at a cheap studio with concrete floors built up what my ballet teacher in college referred to as 'too much' muscle mass. Couldn't raise my leg much above parallel to the ground because by that point there was too much muscle in the way. Of course, being a 'causual' ballet dancer gave me poise, rhythm and confidence with my body - and saved my toes from being tortured by pointe shoes.

Ever been close up to ballet on pointe? Lots of thunk, thunking due to that wood in the toes...funny to see the graceful movements and hear, "thunk thunk thunk" in time to the music. :wink:
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby violinist4ever » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:29 pm

I had to respond to this thread!!! :) have you seen the male swan lake?
:)
violinist4ever
4th Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:42 pm

"Swan Lake" used to be a standard item in the repertoire of performers from men-only hostels at University capping concerts. They were surprisingly good dancers.

I guess I'm showing my age by that reference to "men-only" hostels. I think they're all mixed now.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby violinist4ever » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:14 pm

have you seen the one I am talking about? believe it's almost a comedy....I don't remember...that could be a different ballet.....i haven't seen it in a few years.
:)
violinist4ever
4th Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:31 pm

I don't think I've seen the one you mention, violinist. It would have to be a comedy, surely?
dai bread
1st Chair

Return to Musical Notes