Intolerance

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Intolerance

Postby barfle » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:53 am

While Constitutional smoke and mirrors isn't new, I recognize that reorganization of the Army and Air Force under the Navy is unlikely - mostly because so few people care about the Constitution. A constitutional amendment would also do the trick, and probably be easier to accomplish (far fewer organization charts to publish).

And while the 17th amendment was bad (direct election of Senators), the one just before it, well, for such a short paragraph, it turned a lot of the Constutuion upside down (income tax).

One thing I do believe about the US is that we are well along the "slippery slope" of cradle-to-grave government care, and the public education industry is the driving force.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:08 pm

barfle wrote: One thing I do believe about the US is that we are well along the "slippery slope" of cradle-to-grave government care, and the public education industry is the driving force.

I certainly sympathize with your concern but hope that the situation is not yet too far gone to be reversed. I doubt either of us will be alive to see which will prevail; pity, it would be interesting.

I am reminded of all the Heinleinian writers who frequently show a future America that is little more that a modern day monarchy with its aristocracy and the serfs all pretending to be the embodiment of their great grand fathers' Republic.

The only difference in those fictional stories and reality is in fiction the politicians meddled with the Constitution while in real life they simply ignore it.

Even Heinlein, in all his cynicism, failed to predict how breathlessly bold modern day politicians would be in simply ignoring the Constitution.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:22 pm

Pope Demands Ban On Crucified Frog Sculpture.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it art, but I don't think It's worthy of banning. It seems to be more a parody of Tantalos than of Jesus Christ. The frog is clearly deing denied food and drink, even though they are within his grasp, similar to the punishment inflicted upon Tantalos in Hades, according to Greek mythology.

Nor do Christians own crucifiction, since it was a pagan form of punishment older than Christianity. More than 6,000 of Spartacus' followers were crucified following the Servile War, more than 100 years before Jesus died in a similar manner.

I'm not sure why the sculptor chose to have the frog nailed to the cross rather than tied to it, as the nailing is most commonly associated with Christianity.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:57 am

If you want to call attention to something, call for its banishment. I'm not sure why Ratzenbarger doesn't know that.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:35 am

Oh man, that's a bummer. Who is it?

Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo, or Donatello?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:38 am

Haggis@wk wrote:Oh man, that's a bummer. Who is it?

Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo, or Donatello?

They were turtles, this is a frog....
....or are you asking about the sculptor? :)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:55 am

I'd rather stick with the chocolate Jesus...at least you could eat that "art form"
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:00 pm

Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Previous

Return to The Debate Team