Pet Peeves

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby jamiebk » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Play Metallica "Enter Sandman" for her (not) :twisted: She'll never sleep again..... :twisted:

Enter Sandman lyrics:

Say your prayers little one
don't forget, my son
to include everyone

tuck you in, warm within
keep you free from sin
till the sandman he comes

sleep with one eye open
gripping your pillow tight

exit light
enter night
take my hand
off to never never land

something's wrong, shut the light
heavy thoughts tonight
and they aren't of snow white

dreams of war, dreams of liars
dreams of dragon's fire

and of things that will bite

sleep with one eye open
gripping your pillow tight

exit light
enter night
take my hand
off to never never land

now I lay me down to sleep
pray the lord my soul to keep
if I die before I wake
pray the lord my soul to take

hush little baby, don't say a word
and never mind that noise you heard
it's just the beast under your bed,
in your closet, in your head

exit light
enter night
grain of sand

exit light
enter night
take my hand
we're off to never never land
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Mommy, what's the sandman? Why is he taking the little boy to nevernever land? Why is nevernever land where Peter Pan is? I want to fly like peter pan. Why cant I fly mommy? Why is this song so loud? I dont like it this loud. That noise annoys me. Why does the man sing this song? Why did your internet friend say to play this song for me? Mommy! Answer me Mommy! Listen to my words!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:18 pm

Santana and Everlast's "Put Your Lights On" is milder but still relevant.

Hey now, all you sinners
Put your lights on, put your lights on
Hey now, all you lovers

Hey now, all you killers
Hey now, all you children
Leave your lights on, you better leave your lights on

Cause there's a monster living under my bed
Whispering in my ear
There's an angel, with a hand on my head
She say I've got nothing to fear

There's a darkness living deep in my soul
I still got a purpose to serve
So let your light shine, deep into my home
God, don't let me lose my nerve
Don't let me lose my nerve

Hey now, hey now, hey now, hey now

Hey now, all you sinners
Hey now, all you children
Leave your lights on, you better leave your lights on

Because there's a monster living under my bed
Whispering in my ear
There's an angel, with a hand on my head
She say I've got nothing to fear

La illaha illa Allah
We all shine like stars
La illaha illa Allah
We all shine like stars
Then we fade away

:idea:
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:02 am

Does anyone else find the "go meat" commercials as stupid and annoying as I do?
:curse:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby DavidS » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:32 am

barfle wrote:Does anyone else find the "go meat" commercials as stupid and annoying as I do?
:curse:

In how many cases has a commercial actually influenced your choice of one brand over another, or your decision to buy a particular product or service?
I find most commercials an insult to the intelligence, and just attend to something else, ignore them, turn down the volume while they're on, or turn to the next page in newspapers.
Tel grain, tel pain.
DavidS
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:58 am

DavidS wrote:In how many cases has a commercial actually influenced your choice of one brand over another, or your decision to buy a particular product or service?
I find most commercials an insult to the intelligence, and just attend to something else, ignore them, turn down the volume while they're on, or turn to the next page in newspapers.

The idea is that the decision is often subconsious. You've seen the name of Acme Products so often, heard their jingle so many times (like it or hate it, it's stuck in your head), that you automatically reach for the Acme products when you fill your cart, or you reject the Brand X product as an unknown entity, whereas the Acme brand is familiar to you.

You may not be so affected, but it is obvious that enough of the buying public is affected by it that the companies are willing to spend billions each year reminding you that they exist.

barlfe wrote:Does anyone else find the "go meat" commercials as stupid and annoying as I do?

Is that the one with the backyard grillers all chanting for their favourite brand of brats? If so, it's hardly the most annoying commercial out there, and it is short...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:13 am

I actually found the backyard grillers one funny... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1xGFcmm ... re=related Most of the other spots were just stupid...as are most commercials, but then again...you remembered them didn't you? And isn't that the whole point?
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Shapley wrote:Is that the one with the backyard grillers all chanting for their favourite brand of brats? If so, it's hardly the most annoying commercial out there, and it is short...

Yeah, that's the one. I don't watch a lot of TV, but that commercial IS influencing my shopping - negatively!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:25 pm

barfle wrote:
Shapley wrote:Is that the one with the backyard grillers all chanting for their favourite brand of brats? If so, it's hardly the most annoying commercial out there, and it is short...

Yeah, that's the one. I don't watch a lot of TV, but that commercial IS influencing my shopping - negatively!

I don't mind the commercial but, like you, I don't watch much TV. It does seem to be aired more often than most (I guess if you buy a commercial half as long, you can air it twice as often for the same money).

My wife watches Nick At Night[/], for the old shows. Most of their ads seem to be for their own programming. [i]Family Foreman with George Foreman is the one notice most often, and it seems to air at every commercial break. They usually begin with "this week on Family Foreman:, followed by clips of the upcoming show. However, they seem to show the same clips for weeks on end, always introduced as "this week on...." I gather they must show the same episode every week for several weeks, or they think that no one will notice that they don't change the ad, I'm not sure which.

It really makes me glad I don't watch much television.....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Shapley wrote:
barfle wrote:

I don't mind the commercial but, like you, I don't watch much TV. It does seem to be aired more often than most (I guess if you buy a commercial half as long, you can air it twice as often for the same money).

My wife watches Nick At Night[/], for the old shows. Most of their ads seem to be for their own programming. [i]Family Foreman with George Foreman is the one notice most often, and it seems to air at every commercial break. They usually begin with "this week on Family Foreman:, followed by clips of the upcoming show. However, they seem to show the same clips for weeks on end, always introduced as "this week on...." I gather they must show the same episode every week for several weeks, or they think that no one will notice that they don't change the ad, I'm not sure which.

It really makes me glad I don't watch much television.....

This is what TIVO is made for, Gentlemen. Skip the commercials and watch your shows! Love it!
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:51 pm

jamiebk wrote:This is what TIVO is made for, Gentlemen. Skip the commercials and watch your shows! Love it!

No...that is what the 'off' switch is for. Turn off the idiot box, put on a CD of Vivaldi (or Beethoven.com if you have a high-speed internet connection), or read a book.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby dai bread » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:13 pm

That's what RAM discs are for too. I record everything, and either fast-forward or edit out the commercials. I haven't seen a TV commercial for about a year, since I got the recorder.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:28 pm

Yeah but you miss out on some funny commercials like "Where's the Beef?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:35 pm

You know what? Forget that commercial.......take a look at these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvTU0rlhBVw
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:01 pm

This video was a recent internet "commercial", although it didn't sell anything:
"Ouch...Charlie bit me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OBlgSz8 ... re=related
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:03 pm

Serenity wrote:This video was a recent internet "commercial", although it didn't sell anything:
"Ouch...Charlie bit me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OBlgSz8 ... re=related

Serenity...there were some pretty off-color parodies of that commercial as well. I'll not post here.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Mommy, I only like you when you give me cookies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8aprCNn ... re=related
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:11 am

Doing lots of driving in the city (Rochester) for work lately which leads to my biggest pet peeve there:
Pedestrians crossing the street whenever and whereever they like. I've seen people cross 30 feet from a crosswalk, with traffic coming. Really, it might take you an extra minute to walk the 30 feet to the crosswalk and wait for the signal! Sheesh! Saw a lady once with a child in stroller cross in the middle of the street! And the people who will cross half way since there's nothing coming that way and wait for you to go by to finish crossing - leaving them standing in the middle of the road! Can't believe more people aren't getting hit! And it's not like all these people seem to be in a hurry, sometimes they're just moseing across and don't care that the light changed and there's now cars coming. I see this occaisionally in the suburbs and there's less total foot traffic there, so it's likely a global problem, I just see it at least twice per every 5 miles I drive in the city so it bugs me more when I have to drive there. {/end rant}
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:08 am

Schmeelkie wrote:Doing lots of driving in the city (Rochester) for work lately which leads to my biggest pet peeve there:
Pedestrians crossing the street whenever and whereever they like. I've seen people cross 30 feet from a crosswalk, with traffic coming. Really, it might take you an extra minute to walk the 30 feet to the crosswalk and wait for the signal! Sheesh! Saw a lady once with a child in stroller cross in the middle of the street! And the people who will cross half way since there's nothing coming that way and wait for you to go by to finish crossing - leaving them standing in the middle of the road! Can't believe more people aren't getting hit! And it's not like all these people seem to be in a hurry, sometimes they're just moseing across and don't care that the light changed and there's now cars coming. I see this occaisionally in the suburbs and there's less total foot traffic there, so it's likely a global problem, I just see it at least twice per every 5 miles I drive in the city so it bugs me more when I have to drive there. {/end rant}

They should be cited for jay walking
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections