Time for a beer

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Time for a beer

Postby Schmeelkie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:33 am

Shapley wrote:Thanks, Analog.

Glad to see you've kept on the side of self-control. That's the one thing I always preach to kids, be in charge of your situation. If you follow that rule, you won't succumb to drugs, alcohol, or bad peers.

V/R
Shapley

I like that, 'be in charge of your situation' - will try to remember that for when the kids are bigger. My brother gently spoke with me about our family history of alcoholism and the culture of drinking in college a couple of times during my freshman year. If it had been my parents, I might have tuned out, but he spoke from direct and recent experience... So I was always conscious of both the safety aspect (don't go to or leave the party alone) and the safe drinking aspect (be aware of how much, know when to stop). I tended to make a decision to not go to a party when I was feeling down, or otherwise seek out alcohol...went straight for the Death by Chocolate cake at the campus cafe instead. I walked enough that it wasn't bad on the waistline... So I drank, but I was probably much more aware of it than others - didn't let it take over.

Now if I could just release the hold sugar has on me.... :wink:
"Up plus down equals flat" Pumpkin, 3 yrs, 10 mo, July '07
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:42 am

Back in my younger days, I would tag along with a group, drinking and driving. I was fortunate not to get involved in a crash, but once I found myself stranded in another city with little money, and two drunk companions. Our ride had found a 'date' and vanished, car and all. We had to hitchike home, not a pleasant experience. That was when I resolved not to allow myself to be out of control of my situation. I don't ride with drunks, I don't ride to distant locations with someone unknown or unreliable. I don't allow myself to be in a position where safety, sanity, or sobriety may be compromised.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:50 pm

One of the big safety issues is that when one is drunk enough to realize they ought not drive, one is often too drunk to realize that the person offering to drive is in the same condition. I know several people who were in bad accidents because they didnt realize the volunteer driver was also looped.
I had to set my no-drive limit by # of drinks, because when I went over that limit by a couple, I started to lose calibration and think I was ok to drive.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:35 pm

I was 17 when my family returned to Germany in 1966. We lived in Mainz, arriving in September. We moved into Army military housing even though we were USAF.

Within the week I'd learned to sell my cigarette rations on the blackmarket, developed a fondness for cognac, weizenbier moselle wine (shudder) Benson & Hedges and, as God is my witness, Gaulois cigarettes. I had to ride a train to my High School, General HH Arnold HS, Wiesbaden.

All the Army kids had a (quite justified) bad reputation in the HS that was actually a USAF HS. Even though I was an Air Force "dependent" I was considered to be "one of those Mainz" kids. Geeky, four-eyed, sci fi, dork and I was a thug......I loved it.

The Army kids liked me because I set up a study group in the AYA and raised their average GPA to about 2.6 and the Air Force kids were afraid of me because where I lived.

I was dating a 19 y.o. German girl who worked in a bank and had her own apartment. I quickly learned that Fasching is WAY more fun that Oktoberfest.

I wasn't allowed to drive, thank God; I would have killed others and probably myself on the Autobahn!!!

I don't think I drew too many sober breaths most weekends and more than a few weeknights.
By May, 1967, I was bored and joined the USAF.

Oh, there's no moral or purpose to this narrative. Just reminiscing.
:rofl: :wink:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:55 pm

I'll add here that I don't drink. "Time for a beer" is just a metaphor.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:I'll add here that I don't drink. "Time for a beer" is just a metaphor.

I do, and about now I could use one.

Although this is more suited to the "projects" thread, bar and I were building a low stone wall a few months ago, with no experience in doing so beyond living in a house that had a few in the yard. So I did some Internet searching and found a website that had some recommendations for building just such a wall. One thing they noted is that you may eventually run out of stones that match up. When you do, it's time to take a break and have a beer. When you come back, you'll find stones that match up just fine.

I may attempt to apply such advice to patent application examining.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:04 pm

barfle wrote:
Giant Communist Robot wrote:I'll add here that I don't drink. "Time for a beer" is just a metaphor.

I do, and about now I could use one.

Although this is more suited to the "projects" thread, bar and I were building a low stone wall a few months ago, with no experience in doing so beyond living in a house that had a few in the yard. So I did some Internet searching and found a website that had some recommendations for building just such a wall. One thing they noted is that you may eventually run out of stones that match up. When you do, it's time to take a break and have a beer. When you come back, you'll find stones that match up just fine.

I may attempt to apply such advice to patent application examining.

I've done that! Who knew it was actually recommended? :rofl:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:11 pm

For those of you non-drinkers (and temporary non-drinkers like me), a drive or a shower often puts solutions in my head that weren't there before. Of course, this is a horrible time to write anything down...I remember coming up with story ideas as a kid on long drives to relatives houses. Classical music (which is mostly what my parents played) + great scenery = one sparked imagination.

Had a great idea about how to fix a problem at work at 5am one day nursing Bella through some gas. For a while I kept a pad of paper by the rocking chair so I could write stuff down when she had me pinned...
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:25 pm

Back when I worked for the Hammond Organ Company, I was having trouble with part of the console design. I went home, deciding to sleep on it. In the middle of the night, I woke up, realizing I had figured out the solution. Grabbing a pen and paper from the nightstand, I jotted down what I had thought up, and then went back to sleep.

The next morning, I woke up to find two pages of unintelligible scribbles...
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:45 pm

Serenity
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:48 am

Back when I worked for the Hammond Organ Company

I knew two guys who, many years ago, worked for them. They used to shoot at each other with staple guns and refered to their employer as the "Hammond Male Organ Company."
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:00 am

Giant Communist Robot wrote:

I knew two guys who, many years ago, worked for them. They used to shoot at each other with staple guns and refered to their employer as the "Hammond Male Organ Company."

Are you sure that wasn't Shap? :rofl:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:19 am

jamiebk wrote:
Giant Communist Robot wrote:

Are you sure that wasn't Shap? :rofl:

No, that wasn't me. There were two running jokes about employment there. The first time I mentioned working for Hammond Organ, someone asked: "What, does Hammond turn the crank and you dance on the end of the chain with a cup?" (If they'd ever seen me dance, they'd know Hammond and I would starve if that were trure...)

The other was: "Oh! I gave my wife a Hammond Organ for her birthday. Well, I couldn't afford a real Hammond Organ, so I gave her an ten-pound ham and a [exaggerated size] organ...."

:)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Serenity » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:28 pm

The Health and Wellness benefits of drinking and yoga:

http://roadsafety.co.za/2009/09/15/does ... -benefits/
Serenity
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:47 am

I will remember this, for Monday mornings especially!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Schmeelkie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:39 am

I could go for one now, but it would probably just put me to sleep....
Schmeelkie
2nd Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:04 pm

Mmmmmm, Beer

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:14 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:Mmmmmm, Beer

I love this chart!!!
:mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:41 pm

I found it here It's larger and easier to read.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:I found it here It's larger and easier to read.

That is GREAT!!
Thanks!!!
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections