War in Georgia

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: War in Georgia

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:21 pm

US and Russian warships line up in dispute over Georgia

Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

What was that Richard Widmark movie? The “Bedford Incident”?

Bad
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:50 am

WTF?
SOCHI, Russia (CNN) --
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has accused the United States of orchestrating the conflict in Georgia to benefit one of its presidential election candidates.

In an exclusive interview with CNN's Matthew Chance in the Black Sea city of Sochi Thursday, Putin said the U.S. had encouraged Georgia to attack the autonomous region of South Ossetia.

Putin told CNN his defense officials had told him it was done to benefit a presidential candidate...
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:13 am

Putin Vows There Will Be An 'Answer' To NATO Ships In The Black Sea.

He questions why the U.S. chose to Deliver Humanitarian Aid using warships. The same question, of course, was asked when we delivered (or tried to deliver) aid to Rangoon. The answer is now, as it was then, because we have them handy. Also, as has been shown time and again, bearers of humanitarian aid are sometimes targets of those whose actions helped create the need for it in the first place.

V/R
Shapley
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Trumpetmaster » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:28 pm

Putin is a .......... I cannot say it in public......
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:39 pm

Nicaragua has apparently joined Russia in recognizing the independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:54 pm

Shapley wrote:...Putin Vows There Will Be An 'Answer' To NATO Ships In The Black Sea...

It occurs to me that Mr. Putin could use Soviet shipping to deliver humanitarian aid to, say, Savannah or Atlanta or other selected smaller Georgia ports. I'm sure an assortment of folks would find a use for fine Soviet goodies, after the Gus winds die down. It'd be a perfect "answer".

It's not like the Black Sea has the only Georgia!
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:44 am

Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:41 pm

FADING AWAY IN EUROPE:

"After spending over half a century years in Europe, the headquarters of the U.S. 7th Army headquarters is reorganizing as a deployable unit (meaning it can be ordered to another part of the world to supervise major military operations.) . . . During the Cold War, there were over 300,000 U.S. troops in Western Europe, now it's about 40,000, and headed for 33,000 in five years. And if there's a crisis somewhere else on the planet, there won't even be an army headquarters there to command what's left of American forces."

This is a major move and [gloat] a bitter pill and reminder[/gloat]that, in light of Russia’s operations in Georgia, the gormless Europeans will have to start thinking about (quelle surprise) defending themselves; parasites.

(Ed. "Although this might be the opening Blackwater and the other military contractors were looking for, a civilian component of NATO"

Me. Please, the Europeans are cowardly enough to consider it.)
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:14 pm

(Ed. "Although this might be the opening Blackwater and the other military contractors were looking for, a civilian component of NATO"

"...Me. Please, the Europeans are cowardly enough to consider it."

You beat me to the punch. Though for "cowardly" I'd substitute "Politically Correct".
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Previous

Return to The Debate Team