Helicopter Underwater Evacuation Training

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Helicopter Underwater Evacuation Training

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:22 pm

Here's the photos from my training in Houston yesterday.

http://www.pbase.com/jimhogue

Folk, I've jumped out of an airplane when my main chute malfunctioned and I had to deploy my reserve. I've had people try to kill me for the color of my uniform. I've heard that vicious "whiz" of a bullet pass so close that you wonder what would have happen if you'd turn your head a second earlier. I had a dud motar round land 30 feet away. I've heard ricochets where you close your eyes and pray it goes the other way.

I only say that so I can put the following into perspective. I've never been so scared in my life as when I hung upside down, underwater, with closed eyes, trying to open a window, unsnap my seat belt and get out of the window and go in the right direction.

Any of you guys in the navy who go underwater or had similar training are the bravest or stupidest people I've ever met!!!!

Piq, you married a damn good man but I have to think that anyone who voluntarily goes through what he did really lacks imagination; I spent hours trying to go to sleep last night while I replay those scenes (we did it five times, I did it six because I screwed up one) over and over for hours...........[screaming meemies icon]
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: Helicopter Underwater Evacuation Training

Postby dai bread » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:12 pm

Television news people & camera crew do that training too, at least in this country, where the prospect of crashing into water is high. (Referring to our island geography, not to the state of our helicopters). I never did it, but my supervisor did as he was going on a junket around the country a couple of elections ago. He didn't like it either.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:57 am

(Ed. " I had a dud mortar round land 30 feet away."??????)

Okay, okay, okay....Honesty (Ed. "..and sobriety??") forces me to amend that statement. I'll freely admit that the distance the round landed from me varies based on the sex and age of the audience and the "enthusiasm" (Ed. "sobriety??") in the story telling.

The round landed no further than 60....90....120 feet (MAX!) away, I swear.

(Ed. "...and the fact you were playing a video game in front of the hootch with Gary and you came in second in a two man race to get to the bottom of the trench isn't worth mentioning?")

Trivial, besides, there was only sandbagged walls 4...6...8 feet (MAX!) high around us. There was only sky above, that 120MM....80MM...60MM (MIN!) round could have landed on us!!!

Heh. "Video game." You cleaned that up well.

(Ed. Sniff. "The actual game and content of the screen at the time had nothing to do with the story. Besides, Chun Li couldn’t kick that high so we were at a disadvantage if you ask me.")

You realize that people will have to Google Chun Li to get that reference and that dates us both???????

(Ed. I prefer to think of it as “worldly” rather than “dates”)

The MRHYN just looked over my shoulder and said "substitute 'old' for 'worldly' and I thought it was a 120MM rocket round the first time you told me???"

The memory goes second....can't remember what was first......
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Mahlersfifth » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:35 am

I followed the link, Haggis, and stopped to look at an attractive couple at a Texas Ball. Is that you and Mrs. Haggis? Mrs. Haggis is beautiful. But you. You like a normal person and I know Repubilcans are not normal people. The tux is disguising the proof, I reckon. :wink:
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:59 pm

Mahlersfifth wrote:I followed the link, Haggis, and stopped to look at an attractive couple at a Texas Ball. Is that you and Mrs. Haggis? Mrs. Haggis is beautiful. But you. You like a normal person and I know Repubilcans are not normal people. The tux is disguising the proof, I reckon. :wink:

Yep, that's "Mrs. Haggis" or the Mean Red Headed Yankee Nurse (MRHYN) as I refer to her usually here. Yeah, I certainly married up.

The "tux" is officially called a military "Mess Dress," which is the military version of a tux. If you looked at the photos you can see LCPL Tim in the USMC mess dress. That is probably the most impressive mess dress in the U.S. Military, comparable to the fancy dress uniforms of the British military.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:17 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:If you looked at the photos you can see LCPL Tim in the USMC mess dress. That is probably the most impressive mess dress in the U.S. Military, comparable to the fancy dress uniforms of the British military.

Yeah, the Marines always have had style....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Mahlersfifth » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:42 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:
Mahlersfifth wrote:Yep, that's "Mrs. Haggis" or the Mean Red Headed Yankee Nurse (MRHYN) as I refer to her usually here. Yeah, I certainly married up. The "tux" is officially called a military "Mess Dress," which is the military version of a tux. If you looked at the photos you can see LCPL Tim in the USMC mess dress. That is probably the most impressive mess dress in the U.S. Military, comparable to the fancy dress uniforms of the British military.

Mighty pretty
Mahlersfifth
4th Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:23 pm

Ulp!

Was that you who exited out the opening of the simulator, instead of the window?
The human raft is interesting. Never saw that before. Seems a good idea.
Mrs Edith. That's funny.

I often wonder how OT handled the knowing.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:46 pm

piqaboo wrote:Ulp!

Was that you who exited out the opening of the simulator, instead of the window?
The human raft is interesting. Never saw that before. Seems a good idea.
Mrs Edith. That's funny.

I often wonder how OT handled the knowing.

No, I was taking the pictures having already "graduated" (shudder) If they came out of the opening instead of the window they had to repeat it...I did.

The raft was very interesting and very stable. the guy lying in the middle was a "casualty" and we pulled him there. All of the USAF training concentrated on pilots ejecting over water so mass exercises like these weren't taught.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:30 pm

The raft keeps people together, helps with rescue (visibility, centralization), survival (state of mind, warmth),
and cares for the injured.
What have I missed?

So, you sit in that beast and suddenly you are covered with water? How good were you at stopping breathing before you got a nose or lungful of water?
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:51 pm

piqaboo wrote:The raft keeps people together, helps with rescue (visibility, centralization), survival (state of mind, warmth),
and cares for the injured.
What have I missed?

So, you sit in that beast and suddenly you are covered with water? How good were you at stopping breathing before you got a nose or lungful of water?

You pretty much covered it. We were in a pool so waves weren't an issue. the raft require some effort to maintain so someone weakened would be problem, I guess. Quite frankly I haven't spent much time thinking about it because if the situation gets to that point I'll be pretty well screwed anyway :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:03 pm

As a nuc, I never attended sub school, so I never had formal escape training. We joked that they didn't send nucs because we as nucs knew it was all a placebo.

Think about it: They teach that escapes are possible from depths as great as 500ft. At the time, the vast majority of the waters we operated in was ten times or greater in depth. Who were they trying to kid?

Congratulations on completing that one, Haggis.

(Okay, so part of me thinks it might kind of cool to do that....)
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:50 pm

OperaTenor wrote: (Okay, so part of me thinks it might kind of cool to do that....)

So did I, until the first time it flipped upside down. If I'd been 10 years younger it probably wouldn't have bothered me as much.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby OperaTenor » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:23 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:
OperaTenor wrote: (Okay, so part of me thinks it might kind of cool to do that....)

So did I, until the first time it flipped upside down. If I'd been 10 years younger it probably wouldn't have bothered me as much.

Since I pretty much have that age thing on you, I should be fine.....

:neener:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby barfle » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:05 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:If I'd been 10 years younger it probably wouldn't have bothered me as much.

How long has it been since you were thirty?

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother attempting such a task at my age. I refer to it as "maturity" these days, although others might use different terms.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:56 pm

:rofl: :chicken: :chicken:
Personally, I will keep pushing the limits until I break something...then I might quit. I constantly have to thumb my nose at my age... :neener:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:07 pm

Exactly. It annoys me when the news media refer to people in their 60s and 70s as "elderly".

They did it recently in connection with a fraudster. Then they published her picture. She's elderly all right! Some of us age better than others. Those who age well are increasing in numbers.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:44 am

barfle wrote: How long has it been since you were thirty?

In July, 30 years.... :rofl:
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:04 pm

jamiebk wrote::rofl: :chicken: :chicken:
Personally, I will keep pushing the limits until I break something...then I might quit. I constantly have to thumb my nose at my age... :neener:

Not that I'm not still pushing my own limits. But in my 61 years, I've found what some of them are. The problem is that they keep getting closer.
:curse:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Return to Culture Connections