political commentary moratorium day

Everyone loves a healthy debate. Post an idea or comment about a current event or issue. Let others post their ideas also. This area is for those who love to explore other points of view.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

political commentary moratorium day

Postby jamiebk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:40 pm

Since we have all been inundated with ads, commentary, news, (and yes...BBB postings) (ad nauseam) regarding the 11/4/08 election, I am declaring 11/5/08 as political commentary moratorium day. I pledge to post nothing political or controversial in nature on that day. Anyone else ready for a break?
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Re: political commentary moratorium day

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:54 pm

I will have to announce whether or not I won my bet. I suppose that could wait a day.

If we don't post anything 'controversial', though, we might as well not post.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:59 pm

Shapley wrote:I will have to announce whether or not I won my bet. I suppose that could wait a day.

If we don't post anything 'controversial', though, we might as well not post.

You can talk about your dog, family, work, vacations, trips, projects, Post Whore, hobbies, weather, sports, friends..... :rofl:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:02 pm

My dog is pretty controversial...

I'd be afraid to comment on B.com selections.

For instance, right now Mahler's Symphony No. 5 is playing, which is probably the 8th greatest symphony ever written, and the 3rd greatest Mahler symphony,......(waiting for TM to contradict that.....) ;)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:23 pm

Shapley wrote:My dog is pretty controversial...

I'd be afraid to comment on B.com selections.

For instance, right now Mahler's Symphony No. 5 is playing, which is probably the 8th greatest symphony ever written, and the 3rd greatest Mahler symphony,......(waiting for TM to contradict that.....) ;)

Music can be excepted.... :rofl:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:29 pm

I can't do this. I need to crow when the Mozart of Marxism wins the election, and when the market goes up as I forecast. Ignore me.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:14 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:Ignore me.

I'll try......
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:17 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:..and when the market goes up as I forecast.

"Sir? Please can I have what he's smoking (or drinking??" :wink:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:19 am

SEATTLE'S THE STRANGER publishes addresses and photos of homes displaying Republican signs. Political intimidation and incitement to violence, or just colorful journalism?
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Giant Communist Robot » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:

Well, there are some "iffy" reasons to think the 27th was the low. Its not unusual to have the market bounce after an election, either. A kind of mindless euphoria. It may be that enough things will be in place to bouy the market, and some confidence in the future may keep it going. Its what I expect. Beyond that, as I posted some time ago, I feel the economy may recover after next summer.

"Iffy" reasons are technical.

Oh! By the way! It looks reasonably recession-like now.
Thinking is overrated
Giant Communist Robot
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:46 pm

Giant Communist Robot wrote:
Haggis@wk wrote:

Well, there are some "iffy" reasons to think the 27th was the low. Its not unusual to have the market bounce after an election, either. A kind of mindless euphoria. It may be that enough things will be in place to bouy the market, and some confidence in the future may keep it going. Its what I expect. Beyond that, as I posted some time ago, I feel the economy may recover after next summer.

"Iffy" reasons are technical.

Oh! By the way! It looks reasonably recession-like now.

If Obama's elected I don't expect the DOW to be above 4,000 on 12/31.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:06 pm

I'm with GCR on this one. I was surprised to see the Dow come close to 8000. The substantial bounce the next day, convinced me that the smart money believes the bottom has been reached. I'm just wondering how many Saudi petrodollars are being pumped into the market. They get our protection without paying tribute, so why shouldn't they own a few more of our corporations? Banks would be perfect for them. "SDIC" looks safer than FDIC at the moment.
Shos

PS: My guess is that the Dow will be over 8000 on 12/31 no matter who wins the election.
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:48 pm

I expect the Dow to recover, as well. I think the bottom may have been reached, though it is possible there may be another trough. Close elections seasons usually put the campaign in turmoil. Once the election is decided, investors have some idea of what strategy to employ. Right now it's a guessing game.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:SEATTLE'S THE STRANGER publishes addresses and photos of homes displaying Republican signs. Political intimidation and incitement to violence, or just colorful journalism?

Why would they be intimidated? If they are already posting signs it's obvious that they want to be known as supporters. I would think that they would enjoy the publicity. (BTW, "The Drudge Report" isn't exactly an unbiased source)
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:58 pm

jamiebk wrote:
Haggis@wk wrote:SEATTLE'S THE STRANGER publishes addresses and photos of homes displaying Republican signs. Political intimidation and incitement to violence, or just colorful journalism?

Why would they be intimidated? If they are already posting signs it's obvious that they want to be known as supporters. I would think that they would enjoy the publicity. (BTW, "The Drudge Report" isn't exactly an unbiased source)

The Stranger link now redirects to Drudge, who also had an item on this. I think it's safe to infer that it was the folks at The Stranger who did that, and that they're feeling the weight of criticism. Kinda tacky, though.

Kids (we think) tore up all of the McCain Palin signs in the neighborhood and threw pumpkins from moving cars into parked car windows.

I'm feeling hypocritical myself; I criticized newspapers for avoiding the Mohammed cartoon mess but didn’t want a yard sign in my yard because I feared damage to my property by Obama thugs. When that fear is justified in a north Texas suburb that heavily support McCain, well.
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:52 pm

When that fear is justified in a north Texas suburb that heavily support McCain, well.

i think i said it elsewhere, does Obama appreciate the danger of this mass movement ?

“Any man can ride a train. Only a wise man knows when to get off.”
e hoffer
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:39 pm

Haggis@wk wrote:Kids (we think) tore up all of the McCain Palin signs in the neighborhood and threw pumpkins from moving cars into parked car windows.

I doubt there was political intent. We've had a lot of election signs (local and national) disappear in our neighborhood too (all parties/persuasions). Mostly just little brats doing mischief...not likely an organized attempt to surpress free speech.
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:21 pm

jamiebk wrote:
Haggis@wk wrote:Kids (we think) tore up all of the McCain Palin signs in the neighborhood and threw pumpkins from moving cars into parked car windows.

I doubt there was political intent. We've had a lot of election signs (local and national) disappear in our neighborhood too (all parties/persuasions). Mostly just little brats doing mischief...not likely an organized attempt to surpress free speech.

You're probably right but damage is damage no matter how it comes about. The only damage appeared to be to cars parked in front of houses with McCain/Palin signs. Some scary people seem to think that attacks on the First Amendment are justified because the expression of some people "offend" them.

Obama's seemingly indifference to the First Amendment surely doesn't help dissuade that kind of sentiment does it?
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby Serenity » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:15 pm

Serenity
1st Chair

Postby analog » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:25 am

Pretty dark lyrics in that one...

Credulous at best your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men
Pull your heads on out, you hippies
And give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again

The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive
So it is
So it's always been

Oliver Stone made an unpopular movie about the same thing, "Natural Born Killers".
I watched it again last night -
best line in it was Woody Harrelson to Robert Downey: "you're even lower than an ape - you're a media person."

but i have to be careful about indulging my dark side, i can slide into a depressed state.

Might I suggest a slightly more gentle treatment for the blues ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbhvoYYIdnQ
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Next

Return to The Debate Team