"Maverick" Symphonies

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

"Maverick" Symphonies

Postby welcid » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:07 pm

I'd like to get some idea how folks on the Bulletin Board respond to three symphonies which I have come to appreciate and enjoy hearing in the last few years. I'd like to reserve my own response to them until I have had the chance to enjoy the responses of others. Here are the three:

1) Khachaturian"s Symphony # 3 (his "organ" symphony)
2) Tchaikovsky's Symphony # 7 (yes, the # 7 in its "re-constructed" format)
3) James K. Williams' Symphony For The Sons of Nam

Each a "maverick" in its own way. Love to hear your thoughts about these pieces.

Welcid
welcid
4th Chair

Re: "Maverick" Symphonies

Postby jamiebk » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:33 pm

welcid wrote:I'd like to get some idea how folks on the Bulletin Board respond to three symphonies which I have come to appreciate and enjoy hearing in the last few years. I'd like to reserve my own response to them until I have had the chance to enjoy the responses of others. Here are the three:

Each a "maverick" in its own way. Love to hear your thoughts about these pieces.

Welcid

I'll have to noodle on that a bit...in the meantime, why don't you put in some requestes to hear these. I am sure the listeners (me for one) would like to hear each.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby welcid » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:56 pm

I have requested the first two multiple times, but to no avail. Perhaps they don't have them.

Welcid
welcid
4th Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:58 pm

Tchaikowski's Symphony No. 7 is the only one I'm familiar with, and barely that. I have heard all of his symphonies, but I don't believe I've heard the seventh in over a decade. I assume I wasn't that impressed with it, but I can't recall it at all. I'll have to give it another try.

Good to hear from you again, BTW.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby piqaboo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:12 pm

They accept donations of CDs for those pieces they dont have.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby shostakovich » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:46 pm

welcid wrote:I'd like to get some idea how folks on the Bulletin Board respond to three symphonies which I have come to appreciate and enjoy hearing in the last few years. I'd like to reserve my own response to them until I have had the chance to enjoy the responses of others. Here are the three:

Welcid

I've been away for a while, and have not had a chance to comment on this note. The Khachaturian 3rd is certainly full of sound and fury. It does not signify his best work. I think the ballet, Gayne, has a fantastic array of tunes and rhythms. As for the symphonies, I prefer either #1 or #2 to #3. The Tchaikovsky 7th is a re-working of the unfinished 3rd piano concerto with the scherzo taken from a solo piano work. It's genuine Tchaikovsky, and it holds together pretty well. The Williams symphony is unknown to me.
Shos
shostakovich
1st Chair

Postby welcid » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:18 pm

Let me comment on my original submission about these symphonies. I have been acquainted with the Khachaturian and Tchaikovsky symphonies for many years now.

Regarding the former: I am one who finds that usually I like (or love) a selection of serious music on first hearing. i.e. very few pieces of such music come to reside in my musical recesses of my psyche after multiple hearing. Khachaturian's 3rd is one of those exceptions (Janacek's Sinfonetta would be another). The more I listened to this rather bombastic orchestral selection, I found myself more and more enthralled with it. Although I also like his first two symphonies very much, I think this one is my favorite of the three.

Back in the early early 60's, a good friend of mine in Fort Wayne played the 4th movement of the Tchaikovsky 7th (Ormandy/PO-LP recording) for me. It just swept me off my provdervial "seat." I quickly obtained my own copy and subsequently learned the whole story of its "re-constuction". I have gotten a couple more versions of it on CD since, but do not have Ormandy's on CD yet. I've just about worn out my vinyl edition! LOL

The Williams' symphony is the newest to me (and rather new to the musical world, I am sure). For its historical roots as well as its beauty, I immediately feel in love with it. I heard it on our local PBS radio station and am trying to get a CD of it. It's a little pricey; but I will keep trying.

Welcid
welcid
4th Chair

Return to Musical Notes