POPULAR MECHANICS

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

POPULAR MECHANICS

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:55 pm

106 YEARS OF POPULAR MECHANICS — available for free online.

This is SO COOL!!! (Gawd, it’s embarrassing to be this much of a geek….. :rofl: )
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Re: POPULAR MECHANICS

Postby dai bread » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:22 pm

National Geographic have done a similar thing and put all their magazines on disc, from Month 1 in 18??

I dumped about 20 years' of them into the recycling bin. I'm moving house and have to declutter.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:44 pm

dai bread wrote:National Geographic have done a similar thing and put all their magazines on disc, from Month 1 in 18??

I dumped about 20 years' of them into the recycling bin. I'm moving house and have to declutter.

I recall reading in the Journal of Irreproducable Results that the combined weight of all those unread National Geographic magazines was an ecological timebomb threatening to sink the continent. Perhaps this is an effort to defuse that bomb.....
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby Haggis@wk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:25 pm

dai bread wrote:National Geographic have done a similar thing and put all their magazines on disc, from Month 1 in 18??

When we "decluttered" my grandmother's house when she moved into a nursing home we trashed the Reader's Digests....all of them, every copy at that time since the first one ever printed from 1922 to 1978.

All the condensed books too, from the 50's. I don't care so much about them but I wish I'd been smart enough to grab those early RDs....
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” Alexis De Tocqueville 1835
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:08 am

Bar gave me the NG collection on CD for Christmas about five years ago (I'll have to check the dates). I've been looking for updates to the CD collection so I can dispose of the dead tree copies from the following years.

One thing that was a little annoying about the collection - There are a handful of plastic records that were bound into the magazines back in the 60s and 70s. One I seem to recall was Arthur Godfrey describing the funeral of President Eisenhower. There are pictures of the recordings, but no audio is available from them. Seems like it would have been pretty easy, but it wasn't done.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Haggis@wk » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:40 pm

In the Jun 52 issue of PM is an article on Robert A. Heinlein's home in Colorado touting it as home of tomorrow. I was interested to see that there is a nook office in the kitchen complete with telephone. The house was sealed with double glazed windows, a year round heating/cooling system and cost $20 a sq. ft. Pretty expensive in 1952.

Sometimes in the 60s they moved back to California because his wife Ginny couldn't handle the elevation.

I wonder if the house in Colorado is still there?

I am SUCH a dorky geek sometimes.........
Haggis@wk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:50 am

Yes, you are. And I wonder about that house too.
Want an example of the Doppler effect in action?
Stand by a highway at night. The light coming toward you will appear white, and that going away will appear red!

OT told the joke. I laughed. I guess we do belong together!
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:26 pm

piqaboo wrote:Yes, you are. And I wonder about that house too.
Want an example of the Doppler effect in action?
Stand by a highway at night. The light coming toward you will appear white, and that going away will appear red!

OT told the joke. I laughed. I guess we do belong together!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby analog » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:35 pm

The light coming toward you will appear white, and that going away will appear red!

Do you reckon that's why the kids buy those 'blue max' headlamps for their little urban speedsters?

a. :dunce: (not street wise)
Cogito ergo doleo.
analog
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:14 pm

piqaboo wrote:OT told the joke. I laughed. I guess we do belong together!

bar rarely laughs at my jokes, but we've been together for over 30 years.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:51 am

Paleo-Future

This site bills itself as a 'look at the future that never was'. It's a collection of articles from past sources defining 'the [fill in the blank] of the future'. Interesting site.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Return to Culture Connections