Randomized aka....

If you would like to post a topic on the Beethoven Bulletin Board but you cannot find an appropriate location... post it here!

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Randomized aka....

Postby Shapley » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:39 am

jamiebk wrote:
Shapley wrote:I'm trying to convince the wife we need to make a trip to SoCal. I'd like to see the Nixon Birthplace Museum (assuming it hasn't burnt down by then) and the Ronaldus Maximus Temple,....errr,.... library and museum.

So far, I haven't won her over. I may have to throw in some kind of entertainment more to her liking.

Does she like ribs? Perhaps you should wait until it is about 10 degrees at home when the lure of SoCal may increase.

Nah. Then she starts thinking Caribbean. It's closer, and non-flammable.... :shock:
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby OperaTenor » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Bones wrote:
barfle wrote:
OperaTenor wrote:Saturday was yet another foray to Fat Ivor's.

Barfle, Bones, and Haggis: The rib quality has not diminished in the least. I know you guys want to know that.

:twisted:

That's just mean. Although we do have pretty darn good barbecue heah in Vahjinyah, too.

I agree with Barfle. That's just mean. There is a great barbecue place near me in the city, but they don't have ribs like Fat Ivor's.

Hah! Made you post!

:neener:
"To help mend the world is true religion."
- William Penn

http://www.one.org
OperaTenor
Patron

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:15 am

There's snow in Julian. And a TV news report that snow-visitors need chains for the car, gloves and boots for the people.
There's flooding reported in Fashion Valley mall (built in the Sandy Eggo riverbed...)
Horses have been stranded in their stables (in the Otay River Valley...)

Two days of rain. It may rain some more. There's lots more low spots that aren't ponds yet. The excitement continues!

I wonder if Valley Center has snow, and whether Fat Ivors is accessible. There's a hill up to their building, I don't think they'll be underwater...
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:05 am

Winter Storm watch invoked in our area...
North and West of us.. they are expecting 6-12 inches...
I live on the south shore of Long Island and they expect the snow to change over to rain....

You never know... we just may have that White Christmas!

:santa: :santa: :santa: :santa: :santa: :santa: :santa: :santa:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:15 am

Trumpetmaster wrote:You never know... we just may have that White Christmas!

It snowed in Las Vegas. We are just getting over two days of ice. (Not too bad here, most of it went south and west of us.) Our friends in Louisiana reported 5 1/2" of snow outside Baton Rouge last week, which was all gone as the temperature reached 70 the next day.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:32 am

Very frigid here in the Bay Area. I live north so its colder up there in Sonoma County. We've had lows of mid-20's. A lot of plant damage. Our prized Dutura is dead...at least for this year. We had snow on Mt Hamilton, Mt Diablo and Mt St Helena (not to be confused with Mt St Helens). My daughter called from Flagstaff last night and sent pictures...it dumped on them...at least 18-20 inches with more to come. FINALLY the Sierras received several feet of snow, so it looks like I can at long last strap on my skis.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby barfle » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:40 am

It's that time of year in Deecee when ALL the coats must be available. We had a dusting of snow about two weeks ago, then it was 68 degrees. This week we've had freezes, rain, sun, wind, and a partridge in a pear tree.

And that's normal for here. :barf: :thumbdown: :yuk: :screwy:
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:19 pm

18 inches of snow in Julian as of Wed. Looks like a 70+ day today.
And we cant get up to Julian today. :pout:
Ah well, i suspect it will snow again one day.
Altoid - curiously strong.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:29 pm

I saw a TV ad the other night, there's a group called the "Three Redneck Tenors" playing at the Balboa Theater downtown SD on the 22nd. Beethoven and Puccini were mentioned, as well as NASCAR, the Trailer Park and pig calling.

Anyone else sufficiently twisted to consider this an adventure? :toast: :guns: :driver:
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Here is their website.

Apparently, you can find video of them on their link.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby GreatCarouser » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:44 pm

Selma in Sandy Eggo wrote:I saw a TV ad the other night, there's a group called the "Three Redneck Tenors" playing at the Balboa Theater downtown SD on the 22nd. Beethoven and Puccini were mentioned, as well as NASCAR, the Trailer Park and pig calling.

Anyone else sufficiently twisted to consider this an adventure? :toast: :guns: :driver:

Relatives in town from FL this weekend so I have to pass :(
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Mark Twain
GreatCarouser
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:30 pm

I think we have a scheduling conflict too. Bummer. I think that sounds mahvelous. :(
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Save the Date!
Fat Ivor's trip, and opportunity to meet DaiBread coming in October!

Actual final date not set in stone.
The possibilities are :

a late dinner Saturday Oct 2 (well after 7 pm) & based on whether DB and son can stand to get back in a car (I'd bet against this one)
or
possibly, dinner on Sunday Oct 3, following a day at the zoo, and an organ concert in Balboa Park, (but its so tempting to go to a museum or back to the zoo, and get mexican dinner near by)
or
lunch or dinner on Monday Oct 4 - which would then allow a trip to the Palomar Observatory, and other meanderings about the county.
[My vote is for the Monday date, tho it entails a vacation day from work. Visiting w DB and kin is worth it. :)]
[Jamie, maybe you and your wife can make it a long weekend down here, so we can all meet on the Monday? Selma? You live so close to FI now, you lucky duck!]

Final decision on dates and itinerary to be posted when the visitors feel like deciding and having it posted/posting.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:13 pm

The only fixture in the visit to San Diego is the organ concert. I've specifically arranged to be in SD on a Sunday for that. For everything else, my son & I are in the hands of those with local knowledge, specifically in this case O.T & Piq.

I like what Mexican food I've had, so the restaurant by the zoo will be fine for me, but seeing we're going to Fat Ivor's anyway, that seems to be the place to meet. However, I'm going to be guided by local knowledge, so will shut up and just say whatever you arrange will be fine.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby BigJon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:00 pm

So Dai and I (and family) will be in town the same week? Awesome! Old home week for the b.com regulars.
Even a blind nut finds a squirrel once in a while. – Me! Feb 9, 2001
BigJon
2nd Chair

Postby piqaboo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Very cool!
We'll have to make sure there's a meet in there some where. Mexican, Fat Ivor's, somewhen/where.
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:05 pm

piqaboo wrote:Save the Date!
Fat Ivor's trip, and opportunity to meet DaiBread coming in October!

Actual final date not set in stone.
The possibilities are :

a late dinner Saturday Oct 2 (well after 7 pm) & based on whether DB and son can stand to get back in a car (I'd bet against this one)
or
possibly, dinner on Sunday Oct 3, following a day at the zoo, and an organ concert in Balboa Park, (but its so tempting to go to a museum or back to the zoo, and get mexican dinner near by)
or
lunch or dinner on Monday Oct 4 - which would then allow a trip to the Palomar Observatory, and other meanderings about the county.
[My vote is for the Monday date, tho it entails a vacation day from work. Visiting w DB and kin is worth it. :)]
[Jamie, maybe you and your wife can make it a long weekend down here, so we can all meet on the Monday? Selma? You live so close to FI now, you lucky duck!]

Final decision on dates and itinerary to be posted when the visitors feel like deciding and having it posted/posting.

Damn...wish I'd know about this earlier. Bonnie and I are headed down to Temecula for Halloween weekend. Same old wine group friends! Dai is going to enjoy Palomar. I was there last year and did the tour (last tour of the season actually) and there was some question as to whether they would resume. Glad that they have. It's a fascinating facility with a fascinating history. I am still trying to drag them to Fat Ivors...perhaps this time 8)
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby piqaboo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:19 pm

I keep getting to Palomar too late - just as it closes.
We'll have to make it a 'before' FI event, instead of an 'after'.

Jamiebk, the wine in temecula is worth driving all the way here?
Huh. I like Hart, but I'd have thunk you have more betterer up your way.
They must be very good friends!
piqaboo
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:38 pm

piqaboo wrote:Jamiebk, the wine in temecula is worth driving all the way here?
Huh.
NO...it's not, but the friends are! (and we always bring a case of Sonoma County's best with us)
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Selma in Sandy Eggo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:25 am

jamiebk wrote:... Bonnie and I are headed down to Temecula for Halloween weekend. Same old wine group friends!...

If you're that close, you might enjoy dragging the friends down to Escondido for my SIL Garrett's Halloween display. They might even recall - they used to live in Temecula and his pirate ship and dragon displays made the local Temecula paper those years.

I generally play the part of Chief Cat Herder and Baby Wrangler. The baby may not need wrangling this year, but you never know. The cats will still be totally annoyed at all the uproar.
>^..^<
Selma in Sandy Eggo
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Connections