Your collection

Chat with fellow classical music fans about your favorite composers. Ask a question about your favorite composition. Musicians are encouraged to post their ideas about music or a performance! This forum is for classical music fans from all around the world! Join in a classical conversation today.

Moderator: Nicole Marie

Re: Your collection

Postby jamiebk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:51 pm

Here is one that is in nobody's collection. A fascinating find!! (did not know where to post this exactly) http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hEfe ... wD939BEF80

New Mozart piece of music found in French library
Thu Sep 18, 5:12 PM EDT

A French museum has found a previously unknown piece of music handwritten by Mozart, a researcher said Thursday. The 18th century melody sketch is missing the harmony and instrumentation but was described as an important find.

Ulrich Leisinger, head of research at the International Mozarteum Foundation in Salzburg, Austria, said there is no doubt that the single sheet was written by the composer.

"This is absolutely new," Leisinger said in a telephone interview. "We have new music here."

"His handwriting is absolutely clearly identifiable," he added. "There's no doubt that this is an original piece handwritten by Mozart."

The work, described as the preliminary draft of a musical composition, was found by a library in Nantes in western France as staff were going through its archives. Leisinger says the library contacted his foundation for help authenticating the work.

"It's a melody sketch so what's missing is the harmony and the instrumentation but you can make sense out of it," he said. "The tune is complete. It's only one part and not the whole score with eight or twelve parts."

"One can really get a feeling of what Mozart meant although we do not know how he would have orchestrated it."

The city is planning to hold a news conference on the find later on Thursday.

There have been about 10 Mozart finds of such importance over the past 50 years, he said. If sold, the single sheet would likely be worth around $100,000.

"The fact that an entirely new sheet shows up is extremely rare," he said.

The sheet was bequeathed to the library by an autograph collector in the 19th century and was catalogued back then as part of the library's collection, he said.

But it was later "entirely forgotten," essentially becoming lost to scholars for more than century, and was only rediscovered by the library as it re-catalogued its archives in recent years. It was unclear what happened to the library's 19th century catalogue.

Circumstantial evidence, including the type of paper, suggests Mozart did not write it before 1787, Leisinger said. Mozart died in 1791.

Mozart was interested in church music and at that time was planning to become the choir and music director of Vienna's main cathedral, although he died before he could take up the post.

In all, about 100 such examples of musical drafts by Mozart are known about. Many are notes for works that he went on to complete.

But the rediscovered sheet is the "draft for a piece that Mozart did not work out for what ever reason," said Leisinger.

The sheet appears also to have been examined in the 19th Century by Aloys Fuchs, a well-respected autograph hunter who collected works from more than 1,500 different musicians. Fuchs wrote "authenticity of this present handwriting of W.A. Mozart is confirmed," in an annotation dated Aug. 18, 1839, in Vienna.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Jamie

"Leave it better than you found it"
jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:40 am

I've joined the cult. :mrgreen:

Mahler Symphony No. 2
Navneeth

Check out the History of the 30Q Game
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:08 am

That's a good performance, too, if my memory serves me well. Mehta does a fine job, IMHO. I've heard recordings by him of #2 and #9, I believe.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby navneeth » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:06 am

I can't really comment on the performance, but it has received good reviews throughout. But the reviewers don't forget to mention that it is taken a little faster than usual. The only other recording I have is a set of mp3 files of a live performance of Boulez conducting the Vienna Phil. in 2005. That, too, seems to be many people's performance of choice.
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby jamiebk » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:02 pm

Guys...I'd like to get a recording of Elgar's Enigma Variations. Does anyone have a favorite rendering of these? Looking for recommendations. Thanks
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Trumpetmaster » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:36 pm

jamiebk wrote:Guys...I'd like to get a recording of Elgar's Enigma Variations. Does anyone have a favorite rendering of these? Looking for recommendations. Thanks

Daniel Barenboim with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgoBb8m1eE

:D
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
Trumpetmaster
Patron

Postby Shapley » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:09 am

I added some Paganini to my collection yesterday: The 24 Caprices performed by Perlman, and a two disc set that includes Violin Concerti 1, 2, 3, & 4 (various artists).
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:17 am

As part of my latest discovery of digital surround sound, I picked up a copy of Carmina Burana by Deutschen Oper Berlin on Audio DVD.

Sweet!
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:50 am

I have a few recordings of Carmina Burana, but my favourite remains the recording by the Chicago Symphony and Chorus under James Levine. Bernd Weikl is the baritone, and I have never heard a finer performance. I've purchased recordings since, but none have lived up to the high standard set by Mr. Levine's. The recording is on Deutsche Grammophon.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:35 pm

I don't have a copy of C/B yet...that piece has for some reason escaped my collection. Thanks Shap for reminding me to put it on the list. I've always liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv5U0W8FDDk :rofl:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby dai bread » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:00 pm

My collection now includes a down-load from iTunes, would you believe! It's an album I found through browsing a link provided by someone (I forget who) on this board, and it's a collection of trumpet concertos played by a young Norwegian woman called Tine Thing Helseth.

My Private Trumpeter referred, rather scornfully, to the pieces she plays as basic repertoire, in particular the Haydn and Hummel concertos, but the playing on this album is superb. Ear-popping, you might say.

I couldn't get the disc, which is just as well as it's SACD and I found later (of course!) that none of my players will handle that format.
We have no money; we must use our brains. -Ernest Rutherford.
dai bread
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:53 pm

jamiebk wrote: Thanks Shap for reminding me to put it on the list.

Actually, it was Barfle that brought it up. But you're welcome, nonetheless! :)
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby jamiebk » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:54 pm

Yes...thanks to Barfle as well. (I am still looking around) :headphones:
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:02 pm

A couple of additions. The composers and performers are new to my collection.

Edvard Grieg

Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 16
Piano Sonata in E minor, Op. 7
Poetic Tone Poems, Op. 3
Album Leaves, Op. 28
Agitato This appears to be a "WoO"
Lyric Suites, Opera 43, 54 and 65

Leif Ove Andsnes
Bergen Phil. Orch./Dmitri Kitayenko (concerto)

Franz Liszt

Hungarian Rhapsodies 1 - 15
Rhapsodie Espagnol

Georges Cziffra
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:10 am

These were purchased a long time ago, but I received them only today.

Bach

A State of Wonder
Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg Variations ('55 and '81), and being interviewed by Tim Page on a third disc.

Violin Concertos
Elizabeth Wallfisch and (members of the) Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment

Brahms
Violin Concerto

Mozart
Sinfonia Concertante*

David Oistrakh (conducting and playing the viola in the Mozart)
Otto Klemperer/Orchestre National de la Radiodiffusion Francaise
Igor Oistrakh(vln)/Berlin Philharmonic*

Complete Piano Trios
Beaux Arts Trio (w/ other soloists)

A Tribute to a Unique Artist - Carlos Kleiber (Have DG begun to use a yellow/black colour-combination on the spine of late? I noticed that in the AoF disc, too.)

Symphony No. 4 (Yes, that recording.)

along with fillers ;),

Schubert
Symphony No. 8

Wagner
Tristan und Isolde: Act III Scene III** (I welcome opera-proper to my collection... I have nothing more than a few random overtures here and there.)

Vienna Philharmonic
Staatskapelle Dresden and a bunch of singers**

The Chopin Collection
Arthur Rubinstein

That's one composer about whom I need not worry about for sometime. ;) That being said, I don't yet have the Op. 10 etudes.

Mozart

The Great Piano Concertos Vol. I
Brendel/ASMF/Marriner
(Damn you, Philips, for splitting a concerto!)

Taneyev (Sergei)
Complete String Quartets Vol. I
String Quartets 1 & 3
Carpe Diem Quartet
navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby navneeth » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:18 am

Bach
Well-Tempered Clavier, Books 1 and 2
Angela Hewitt

Beethoven
Piano Sonatas (Complete) - my first!
Friedrich Gulda
[Brilliant Classics]

Dvorak
100th Anniversary Edition - Symphonies
Details here
Navneeth

navneeth
2nd Chair

Postby barfle » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:55 pm

I just acquired a DVD-A of an old London Symphony recording of Tchaikovsky's Romeo & Juliet, Piano Concerto #1, and Symphony #5. Although I bought it on eBay, it was new. There are commercial details here.

Lush. Beautiful. Sublime. This format has to be one of the most remarkable inventions in sound recording. Seriously, if anyone there is serious about recorded music, this will make you spend your money and be happy about it.

I also picked up a couple of DTS SACDs. Santana's Abraxas and The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed. They are both better than I've heard them in a long time, perhaps ever. And the Moody Blues disc has some pretty impressive orchestral pieces in it.

The tragedy, of course, is that these formats are dying. The market isn't serious about music quality - MP3 is the most popular format, and while it's usually quite listenable (I do it all the time), what it ain't is hi-fi. What it is is cheap.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

Postby jamiebk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:03 pm

barfle wrote:I just acquired a DVD-A of an old London Symphony recording of Tchaikovsky's Romeo & Juliet, Piano Concerto #1, and Symphony #5. Although I bought it on eBay, it was new. There are commercial details here.

Lush. Beautiful. Sublime. This format has to be one of the most remarkable inventions in sound recording. Seriously, if anyone there is serious about recorded music, this will make you spend your money and be happy about it.

I also picked up a couple of DTS SACDs. Santana's Abraxas and The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed. They are both better than I've heard them in a long time, perhaps ever. And the Moody Blues disc has some pretty impressive orchestral pieces in it.

The tragedy, of course, is that these formats are dying. The market isn't serious about music quality - MP3 is the most popular format, and while it's usually quite listenable (I do it all the time), what it ain't is hi-fi. What it is is cheap.

I really hate the mp3 compression...everything sounds flat and there is a greatly reduced dynamic range to almost all music. My CD's sound good and I must say that even when I load my downloaded CD's onto my Blackberry...they sound remarkably better than the music off of my iPod.

I am not familiar with DVD-A...what is that format all about?
Jamie

jamiebk
1st Chair

Postby Shapley » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:40 pm

The three CD box sets of Lord of the Rings: The complete music include an audio DVD. All of the music, which requires three or four CD's per set, is on the one DVD. I can't attest to the audio quality, because my television, while stereo, is not high-fidelity, though the music sounds very good.
Quod scripsi, scripsi.
Shapley
Patron

Postby barfle » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:53 am

jamiebk wrote:I am not familiar with DVD-A...what is that format all about?

Basically, it's a DVD medium with minimal video, but very high definition audio. A DVD can hold about 8 times as many bits as a CD can, so there's room for a lot more music, including surround channels that you may have in a home theater system. The Tchaikovsky disc has both 2 channel and 5.1 channel reproduction modes.

Its advantages over SACD are that the selections are actually named, and you can see them on the TV screen without having to refer to the liner notes. My player has a "video off" selection so you can minimize any interference from the video section of the player while you're listening.

MP3s have their place, just like cassettes had theirs. I'm impressed that they sound as good as they do, just as I was with cassettes. But they're not high fidelity.
--I know what I like--
barfle
1st Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Musical Notes